$399 Ps3 Dated!!

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
November 2nd according to Jack Tretton, president of SCEA.

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news...6_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESS-SONY-PLAYSTATION3-DC.XML

Comes with spidey BD and in direct competition with the 360! Only $50 more than the Pro edition and it includes a bigger HDD, Wi-fi, and of course BLU-RAY. And the system has games already, and games coming in the up and coming months, and ports are looking identical to 360 and soon games will be ported from Ps3 to 360. I'm glad it's much more affordable now.

And for those of you who want BC, the 80GB version is now $499.

Last edited:
And another brilliant Sony exec quote, this time brought to you by Jack Tretton.

There's a catch to the lower price: The new $399 PlayStation model will not play games designed for the PlayStation 2, Sony's popular older game console. Mr. Tretton conceded that removing that capability, along with a few other features, isn't dramatically reducing Sony's cost of manufacturing the console but will instead encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system.

Mr. Tretton said the company's research showed that compatibility with PlayStation 2 games isn't likely to be missed by customers, who most likely already own the older system.

Source: Free Article - WSJ.com

Mr. Tretton said the company's research showed that compatibility with PlayStation 2 games isn't likely to be missed by customers, who most likely already own the older system.
Except that most customers don't want to have both a PS2 & PS3 hooked up to the same tv.

There are many potential customers like me who have been looking forward to a lower priced PS3 so that they could enjoy the newer (worthwhile) PS3 games and a vast library of PS2 games that they have missed out on (and still continue to be released.

Those people, like myself, are now just more likely to buy a PS2 this holiday season, and in maybe a year or two once that itch has been scratched either forget about the Playstation brand as talks of a next Xbox surface or then finally buy into their next generation console.

Good job!

This probably doesn't matter to you all in anyway most likely, but i just talked to my friend and roommate about the BC issues. And he is more than anyone i know what you all would call the J6P. He doesn't give a sh*t about HD, thinks i waste all my money on it, likes the 360 better, hates sony in every way, loves Microsoft and Bose.

I asked him if the PS3 not having BC would make him any less likely to buy it. He told me that it would make no difference to him, but having a PS3 at that price would make him more likely to buy one than another console due to the fact that the PS2 was such a popular console. Also, my other two roommates also agree with this fact, and are also more J6P types, but Nathan, the first friend i spoke about is undoubtedly the one i go to for the "typical consumer" perspective. According to him BD and HD-DVD shouldn't even exist and both formats will never become popular to the masses like DVD did. So take that perspective as you will.

I think for the typical consumer, the new Xbox Arcade system would outweigh thoughts of a reduced price PS3. This will probably come down to marketing, not message board bickering. It's all about the entry price, enthusiasts like us are the ones looking past the sticker.

Edit: and I think MS was waiting for this announcement to finally start marketing the Xbox 360 Arcade so it's press wasn't immedieatly offset by this announcement. I suspect by the end of the week (or even the day) we'll get official Xbox 360 Arcade news, despite the console accidentally showing up in a couple of stores.

Except that most customers don't want to have both a PS2 & PS3 hooked up to the same tv.

This is exactly why I won't buy the 40GB PS3 and I still think $500 for the 80GB is too much. For me, it would take a machine at $400 with at least software based backwards compatibility to finally buy a PS3. For me, blu-ray isn't as big a deal as DVD up-conversion is. A PS3 would take the place of both my PS2 and current up-converting DVD player, would also be a blu-ray player along with being a DLNA media client that would talk to my NAS that I have all my music, video and pictures stored on. In other words, it would just about become a media center. But it's got to play my PS2 games that I still enjoy for it to be worthwhile for me.

One of the things that drew me to the PS3 over the 360 was the built in 802.11g wireless. This was in addition to the built in Blu-ray (over the addon HD-DVD) and 1080p. I know the 360 can do this now, but I'd have to get an Elite just to do HDMI.

One of the things that drew me to the PS3 over the 360 was the built in 802.11g wireless. This was in addition to the built in Blu-ray (over the addon HD-DVD) and 1080p. I know the 360 can do this now, but I'd have to get an Elite just to do HDMI.

All consoles are now HDMI enabled I believe, even the Xbox 360 Arcade @ $279.

Wireless still too expensive to addon (wish they'd support x manufacturers USB devices) and HDD too expensive and small to upgrade. Both things the PS3 will always have a leg up the Xbox I guess.

This is exactly why I won't buy the 40GB PS3 and I still think $500 for the 80GB is too much. For me, it would take a machine at $400 with at least software based backwards compatibility to finally buy a PS3. For me, blu-ray isn't as big a deal as DVD up-conversion is. A PS3 would take the place of both my PS2 and current up-converting DVD player, would also be a blu-ray player along with being a DLNA media client that would talk to my NAS that I have all my music, video and pictures stored on. In other words, it would just about become a media center. But it's got to play my PS2 games that I still enjoy for it to be worthwhile for me.

Can you honestly say that $500 is too much after you add up the cost of all of the components you just said it would replace? PS2, Upconvert DVD, Blu-Ray, DLNA client? Not to mention you're getting a $60 game in the box with it? Oh, and by the way, it's the most powerful game system on the planet...

I paid $599 for my 60GB model in Feb. and I still think it's a good deal.

Can you honestly say that $500 is too much after you add up the cost of all of the components you just said it would replace? PS2, Upconvert DVD, Blu-Ray, DLNA client? Not to mention you're getting a $60 game in the box with it? Oh, and by the way, it's the most powerful game system on the planet...

I paid $599 for my 60GB model in Feb. and I still think it's a good deal.

You have a point, but it's still hard to swallow spending that much money on anything at one time. Also, the wife just sees a game console. It's hard to explain the potential without her being able to see it first. Of course there's always that saying, "It's easier to ask forgiveness that it is to ask permission". :)

Is motorstorm still going to be a pack-in with the 80GB when it drops to $500? If so, then that makes it a much better deal with the real cost of the console being $440 for the 80GB. $40 for 40GB more space is a pretty attractive deal. I didn't read the press announcement very closely, but I just assumed that the price drop to $500 would be accompanied by the game falling out of the package.

Also, I wonder what this means for any remaining 60GB stock.

You have a point, but it's still hard to swallow spending that much money on anything at one time. Also, the wife just sees a game console. It's hard to explain the potential without her being able to see it first. Of course there's always that saying, "It's easier to ask forgiveness that it is to ask permission". :)

Is motorstorm still going to be a pack-in with the 80GB when it drops to $500? If so, then that makes it a much better deal with the real cost of the console being $440 for the 80GB. $40 for 40GB more space is a pretty attractive deal. I didn't read the press announcement very closely, but I just assumed that the price drop to $500 would be accompanied by the game falling out of the package.

Honestly, this thread is the first I've heard about the 80GB dropping to $499... but it would seem that it would still be in there, at least initially. Otherwise, they'd have to change the SKU and make sure all of the old boxes with it in there were taken out.... I'm guessing it will stay in.

And, I'm with you on the whole convincing the wife thing... I think mine just got tired of me talking about it and finally gave in - actually bought it for me, believe it or not. Try to play the "the entertainment center will look better because it's less cluttered" angle... :)

The game is still in it. I went to GS this morning to pre order Ratchet, Assassins, GH3, and COD4 and the phone was ringing off the hook. There was only one guy working so i stayed in there a while and talkd to him, but he said the price would be in the system later today, if not then def in the morning for the 80 with motorstorm. As long as you get it now, it looks like you'll get the game, but i dunno how long that will last. If sony is smart it probably will thru christmas at least.

All consoles are now HDMI enabled I believe, even the Xbox 360 Arcade @ $279.

Wireless still too expensive to addon (wish they'd support x manufacturers USB devices) and HDD too expensive and small to upgrade. Both things the PS3 will always have a leg up the Xbox I guess.

And a leg up on free online service which does not lag. Well except one game i played i htink NBA 07 had a bit of lag, but even on XBL i never played a football game w/o lag. I stopped playing NCAA 07 b/c there was so much lag online.

Thats not to say XBL is bad, it is a very good service, but sony's is free and is more freely distributed than XBL and doens't have nearly as many barriers for devs. The only thing it lacks is the movie d/l service which sony is sure to get soon.

From what I am reading on this thread and a couple of articles, the price drop is effective now... which would mean that it is on the boxes already on shelves, which include Motorstorm...

Go get it already!! :)

The 60GB is going away, but I am also curious how much they will sell whatever they have left for.

It would seem they need to clean those out before they start selling the new 40GB model, but maybe they think people will still pay $499 for hardware-based BC (I doubt it)? EB is still showing them both for $499 on their site... interesting, indeed.

The 60GB is going away, but I am also curious how much they will sell whatever they have left for.

It would seem they need to clean those out before they start selling the new 40GB model, but maybe they think people will still pay $499 for hardware-based BC (I doubt it)? EB is still showing them both for $499 on their site... interesting, indeed.

Hmm... $499 for 60GB fully BC or $499 for 80GB, partial BC and a game. LOL. I think that'd be a pretty easy choice. I would hope that remaining 60GB stock would drop to $450. I know that the last time I was in my area Wal-Mart they still had a few.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)