3Ghz RG6 in Brown?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Resourceless

Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Palm Desert, CA
I have an install on a log house. The owner insists that the cable run between the logs be brown. I can't find RG6 (3Ghz) in brown anywhere. Does anyone know a vendor? Your help very much appreciated.

I have an install on a log house. The owner insists that the cable run between the logs be brown. I can't find RG6 (3Ghz) in brown anywhere. Does anyone know a vendor? Your help very much appreciated.

WOW, if you are a sat tech this is above and beyond especially since it costs over 10x as much as black.
1000ft box of 3ghz in black costs me $55.
A 1000ft of that would cost $620 + shipping.

Maybe try a couple other approaches.

1) Cable can be painted.
2) You could bury it around the house. (I would bury it for the same price I would charge a customer for ordering special cable).
3) If there is a crawl or unfinished basement run it under there.

Brown coax seems to be insanely popular in the UK. Go figure.

I'd be looking into custom cut lengths as opposed to a whole box.

Painting requires scuffing the cable to create bonding edges and that's going to take considerable time. Primer is recommended.

Painting requires scuffing the cable to create bonding edges and that's going to take considerable time. Primer is recommended.

I see pained cable that has been holding paint for years with no scuffing or primer.
Paint will hold fine without any prep or primer.

Thank you so very much for that link raoul5788 - that's exactly what I'm looking for. I am not an installer, just running the wire for my boss prior to DirecTV coming back out to his home. As with most bosses, he is quite exacting about what he wants. Good times. I coordinated my planned efforts with the installer and am hopeful this particular job will be behind me soon.

Thank you so very much for that link raoul5788 - that's exactly what I'm looking for. I am not an installer, just running the wire for my boss prior to DirecTV coming back out to his home. As with most bosses, he is quite exacting about what he wants. Good times. I coordinated my planned efforts with the installer and am hopeful this particular job will be behind me soon.

I have nothing against anyone with money as I have my fair share, but people without any common sense can be a problematic relationship and I feel for you with this being your boss. What about if and when this brown FADES? What then? I think KJLUED has mentioned much better and cost efficient options that will likely last longer without any needs to visit them again. I am not big into the paint as I think I would put up with a black cable or a fading brown one first but burial and running hidden are far better options I think.

Yeah, somebody finally agrees with me and it only took 850 posts. LOL

j/k I think 2 others have agreed with me on other prior topics. ;)

Seriously, I am very good at hiding cable.
Some things I may charge for or leave for the customers to do on their own (i.e. if a customer wants it buried around the house, I will charge $1 a foot or lay it on the ground for them to bury them self.) Other times, running it under the home is easier and cost effective so I charge nothing. Only time I wrap a house is if the crawl is really tiny or really nasty (I am am fairly fit so small crawls are not a problem and have no issue with getting dirty).

LOL, and the part about bosses being "exacting" well I am a boss these days, but even before then and now, I too (an end user) am VERY exacting about my home and property and my home theater. BUT I always say measure twice and cut once; AKA shop smart once at pace and not hastily and expensively twice; try not to create situations where you need to revisit or rework the same thing over and over. Its just good common sense and folks that don't do this aren't good bosses or won't be one for long. IMHO

I used to be in management and was precise on expectations but never expected what I would not deliver.

I was very successful at what did, but eventually just burnt out on it.

However, this boss may not be half bad.
It isn't like he is expecting a tech to deliver something special for him just because he has money.
It seems as if he is willing to pay somebody else to locate and buy the materials.
As a tech, I could live with that.

Stain would work good as I have seen it but shoe polish I think might be messy and not last.
It would really depend if the logs were stained or painted on the house but I would use the same on white cable myself.

BTW, I hope your bass can accept the fact that it will be held on with either black or white cable clips. LOL

You may be out there with a bottle of touch up paint before you are done. lol

Yes, if this were the install at my house, I would be sure it is done right (well, I had one, and it was). In this case, there is only one spot on the whole home that has a line of sight past the forest of trees beyond. There is a run of about 20 feet where it has to be between two logs in the log siding and with the exception of the mounting arm, he didn't want any holes punched through that wall. The rubber filler between each log is brown to match the natural color of the logs. Therefore, painting said cable would need to be done prior to mounting, and just getting a bit of brown wire (as he is asking for) is indeed expensive, but also gets the job done with the least amount of hassle given the situation.

Yes, if this were the install at my house, I would be sure it is done right (well, I had one, and it was). In this case, there is only one spot on the whole home that has a line of sight past the forest of trees beyond. There is a run of about 20 feet where it has to be between two logs in the log siding and with the exception of the mounting arm, he didn't want any holes punched through that wall. The rubber filler between each log is brown to match the natural color of the logs. Therefore, painting said cable would need to be done prior to mounting, and just getting a bit of brown wire (as he is asking for) is indeed expensive, but also gets the job done with the least amount of hassle given the situation.

If the run is only 20 feet, how about a brown wire channel?

If the run is only 20 feet, how about a brown wire channel?
Yeah - that makes perfect sense to me and you ... but the boss had brown wire run last time (somehow, someone, who knows) and wants that precise same look. It's one of those situations where you pick your battles, and as he is paying for what he is asking for, I just abide.

Hey, I agree, and understand.

You boss has in his mind that only one thing work and that is it and nothing else better or worse will ever suffice.

However, he is willing to pay for it and that is cool.

I used to live in Cali and understand it.
My area of Western NC is not quite as but close to as eccentric.
I am fine with that when people are willing to pay for it (especially when they have somebody else like you do the leg work).
I only have an issue with when somebody expects special treatment to cater to them.

Get a few hundred feet of black cable, string it between a few trees or a pole and get out a can of brown spray paint.

When your finished installing it, if there are any scuff marks on the cable, spray the paint into a Q Tip and touch up as needed.

You can probably get brown coax, but it's probably going to cost a few hundred dollars for a full box

Unless there's a need for more than 8 tuners in this log house, I can't imagine how you could use more than 150' of brown cable. Certainly not enough to warrant buying even a small box.

Unless the logs are stained, dark brown probably isn't a desirable color anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts