3rd party universal remote

Jeff0575

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Illinois
looking for a 3rd party universal remote to control my emerson tv and Dish network 622 box. my current 622 remote will not control my tv so im looking for a new universal remote that will control them all any suggestions.

Another vote for the Harmony 880. It is a wonderful piece of equipment and we picked one up new for $100 after our forward 30 sec button quit. Well worth the price. A little time spent tweaking and even my 7 year old can use it without any problems to control all of our equipment. Setup is pretty intuitive and it didn't take long to figure out what I was doing and even name my equipment. The only thing you have to do is map the DVR button to an unused button on the bottom left of the remote, not hard to do at all. After that you're golden.

looking for a 3rd party universal remote to control my emerson tv and Dish network 622 box. my current 622 remote will not control my tv so im looking for a new universal remote that will control them all any suggestions.

Try code 733 with your dish remote. That works for an Emerson I have, your Emerson is no doubt a different model so YMMV.

I will second the Harmony One vote. I have it setup to control my TV, sound system, satellite, and DVD player. Activities (whereby it turns on multiple devices and puts them on the right inputs/outputs) are priceless. You can even "customize" the remote by putting whatever functions you want onto the touch screen (including macros; for instance, when I push recordings, I have it set to send that IR signal twice, so it takes me right to the list of recordings, which is a minor convenience). It can also learn any function from another remote. There are even custom channel icons! The one drawback is that it can't do RF, so you need a relative line of sight (I say relative, because if something is in my way, I just point the remote at the cealing, and the device picks it up). Also doesn't have bluetooth if you have a PS3.

Overall, A++ from me.

Another vote for the Harmony 880. I have two.

I also mapped the DVR button to the lower left button- but it already exists as the top left choice on the screen.

Add another vote for the Harmony line. I've got the lower-end 550, and it's still fantastic. Controls my TV, 722, receiver, DVD player... beautiful.

Harmony 880

If you don't want to mess with changing output on THIS device and input on THAT device every time you want to change things.... Harmony is the way to go.

If you want to go a little cheaper, get the 676. I had a 676 and then upgraded to the 880.

Another vote for the 880. It comes in quite handy when we have visitors. My father and father-in-law both had a knack for screwing up my equipment. Thanks to the 880 I don't have that issue! Press one button and the TV, AV receiver and 622 come one together!:clap

Just to add in the overwhelming advice. I have a Harmony 659 and it is a godsend. One button turns everything on, allows you to change channels and adjust the TV volume without pushing TV, Satellite and all the rest of that stuff. It does a whole bunch more, but you get the picture.

Another vote for the Harmony as I am a Home Theater guy would does Dish + Harmony on a regular basis for my customers.
Much easier than the Universals and RTIs I have done.

Let me give you a big old tip:

When selecting the model number for your Dish receiver in the Harmony's pull down box, select DishDVR 942 regardless of what model you actually own.

The reason for this is that all Dish receivers use the same Remote Code One commands and the list for the 942 is the only one I have found that lists discreet Power On and Power Off as an option instead of just a Power toggle.

As Monk sez...."You'll thank me later."

One of my favorite features on the 880 is the top left "activity" button.

Let's say you are watching a program from a satco. Then you want to shift to watching a DVD. If you press the "activity" button, you get the main screen, and can select DVD. The satellite receiver goes off, the DVD player goes on. The TV stays on. The Harmony 880 remembers that the TV is already on, and does not try to turn it off and back on again, as some remotes do.

I have a bulb based RPTV. It must have at least a 90 second cool down cycle, and then takes a bit to come back on. Cycling power shortens bulb life, especially if you turn it back on hot. I'm sure this is a good feature for all TVs.

Let me give you a big old tip:

When selecting the model number for your Dish receiver in the Harmony's pull down box, select DishDVR 942 regardless of what model you actually own.

The reason for this is that all Dish receivers use the same Remote Code One commands and the list for the 942 is the only one I have found that lists discreet Power On and Power Off as an option instead of just a Power toggle.

Great tip! I just programmed that function using the learning feature on the One, but that would have been easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)