4/06/2015 16:00 - Uplink Report - 4 Changes

Ovation is one of those channels I may never have realized was gone. As any channel for those who watched it I do feel bad but I have to believe it won't be missed by hardly any subscribers.

Completely unrelated, Dish was forced via court ruling to carry a channel owned by Vivendi (Universal), a company Dish collaborated with on the attempt to merge/take over with DirecTV. The channel was a crappy music video channel called International Music Feed.
Not surprisingly, no one else in the US picked up this really bad music channel. Ovation swooped in and bought the channel (and the carriage contract with Dish). It then disbanded IMF and converted it to Ovation. Dish now had Ovation. This happened only 7 or so years ago.

I liked IMF, and was furious when Ovation killed it. We need more diversity in music channels, not less! At some point shortly thereafter, Ovation said that they would carry some content from IMF, but as far as I know they never did, and I quit looking for it.

Now, if you want to talk crappy channels, take Classic Arts Showcase (please!) They may actually have good content for all I know, but I can't be bothered to find out, because they don't have a program guide. Not only that, they're PROUD of the lack of a program guide! They say it will encourage people to tune into the channel more. Uh, yeah, in what universe? The only thing I can think of is that it keeps Charlie from realizing how much content they repeat, because we all know how much Charlie loves repeated content -- although I'm not even sure Charlie is paying for CAS, or if they're paying him, or what.

I liked IMF
YOU were the one! :D IMF was okay. I actually watched it a few times. But you are correct in thinking that Ovation never added any IMF content. As a matter of fact, they rebranded themselves and changed most of their content right around the time they disbanded IMF.
Now, if you want to talk crappy channels, take Classic Arts Showcase (please!)
This is one strange channel. They have some really, really good stuff, and they have some amazing old dreck they pass off as arts. It is like every music video channel. They don't list what videos are coming next or when. Or like the radio. The music just keeps on coming. CAS is a good background listening channel for me most of the time.

although I'm not even sure Charlie is paying for CAS, or if they're paying him, or what.
CAS is free to all, and I think they pay Dish to be on as part of the FCC Mandated Public Interest Channels.

Someone important in my family watches it. I did an online chat with dish got $5 off my bill for 3 months for the missing channel. Nice.

I would like to see BBC World News HD and Al Jazeera go HD. Direct has BBC, I hope Dish follows suit. What sort of programming was Ovation about, we did not even watch it.

Reactions: GaryPen
I would OCCASIONALLY, and I mean RARE OCCASIONS, would DVR a few of the very well produced BBC art period documentary series', especially the ones with Waldemar Januszczak, and also a few with Stephen Smith (they both have a sense of humor). However, Ovation was pretty much a crap channel with some "broad taste" old TV series repeats of banal US TV shows that hardly deserve a place on a channel that claims at least a cut above such content. Some content was the very same that used to be on the old VOOM arts channel (I forget the official name of that VOOM channel). Often old with a dash of new content, overall. Ovation was a junk yard channel were you had to sift through the tons of garbage to find that rare gem--and those were universally FOREIGN produced. Oh, and all of this in STANDARD DEF, which looks AWFUL on Dish. I might have tuned in a few more times if it had been in HD. As it is, I just pass all the SD channels. Only AHC seems to get me to watch the horrid SD for its sometimes decent content.

I shan't miss Ovation. Some of the BBC arts documentaries are available on-line, and Ovation was hardly worth keeping on the satellite for the two or three times a year the channel would have content I really wanted to watch.

I wouldn't mind if it NEVER returned. Probably better off without it. Good going, Dish. Finally, dropping the correct channel. Of course, Charlie knows what all of us are watching, anyway.

Oh, yeah, Classic Arts Showcase was/is produced specifically for US public TV stations to carry. Some US public TV stations air CAS on it MAIN channel, often for overnight filler programming. It is, strangely, POPULAR, with folks who watch it wanting MORE. However, the last few years saw CAS being added to some MVPD's, giving the service its own identity as a 24/7 (I think it was 24/7 from day of launch, allowing public TV stations to just flick a switch and join the feed whenever they wanted) channel with people tuning in whenever THEY want to. It does have some gems, while other performances are far from the best, and we all have our opinions on "celebrated" conductors or performers who actually BUTCHER the works they perform. A fair amount of Chaff on CAS, true. And almost never works aired in their entirety. It really is a "arts" MTV.

Arts isn't nothing new it's been in the 9000 PI range forever.
I think he meant the Arts was something Dish slapped on as a replacement for Ovation, just like Dish often does when it has to take a channel down, but that Dish may find a different provider to make up for Ovation, perhaps not CAS.

I agree Ovation, like many networks, almost completely abandoned any pretense of their original mission and started to carry crappy, cheap reruns of US TV and movies that were readily available elsewhere. Even if they never did any original programming, but had a schedule full of foreign arts series, documentaries, etc (programming actually about art) then maybe they would have had a chance. It seems like almost universally, new networks try to get on an MVPD by claiming they will offer new/unique programming, and then once they actually get wide distribution, they immediately dump most of that and focus on broad appeal general audience stuff that may be completely unrelated to their alleged niche market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)