4:2:0 vs 4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Can somebody explain to me what they mean, what exactly it refers to?
And why won't these blasted boxes pick up both signals? Or where I can find
out about these terms, scratching my head and can't find anything using the search feature here(exc a list of old wild feeds)
Thanks!

coolstf has the story

Yep, thanks , I find a great place to read all about it called coolstf>got to be
nearly rated broadcast engineer to understand it though.
Looks like answer is "It all comes down to money-would cost more to include
whatever is needed to decode both 4.2.0 AND 4:2:2 in the same box"
BUT I FOUND A LIKELY SOLUTION
Professional MPEG-2 Decoder 4:2:2 with DVB ASI input

WONDER WHAT ONE COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think at one point (may be still) there was an NBC channel (either on ExpressVU or Echostar) that was broadcasting in 4:2:2. DVB PCI cards could handle them.
And although it is known that human vision is much less sensitive to colored high frequency signal than black and white (main reason while consumer formats including Blu-ray and HD DVD are 4:2:0), that channel did look different.

It's been a while ago.

Diogen.

Sure a pc could, but wouldnt you rather have a 10,000 dollar receiver? LOL
Maybe when I hit the lottery I can buy one of those, and a rack to put it in, too.

FYI, the unit you posted is the decoder, taking transport stream ASI in for decoding, there is no built-in satellite tuner.
The unit would be useless if one did not have any unit with ASI output.
ASI output is not available in consumer line either.
For those who are not familiar with commercial equipment, make sure you know what the unit is capable of.
The only consumer receiver can decode 4:2:2 is the Quali-tv.

Yep, thanks , I find a great place to read all about it called coolstf>got to be
nearly rated broadcast engineer to understand it though.
Looks like answer is "It all comes down to money-would cost more to include
whatever is needed to decode both 4.2.0 AND 4:2:2 in the same box"
BUT I FOUND A LIKELY SOLUTION
Professional MPEG-2 Decoder 4:2:2 with DVB ASI input

WONDER WHAT ONE COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Digitrans in my signature is a broadcast-grade receiver that does the trick. They are not cheap, $2k new and around $500-$700 used. As FTARock noted, avoid the ASI version.

Oh you guys know I'm just dreaming there. I found that from google and it looked like the thing to solve the problem. As the business evolves for consumer receivers, surely somebody will include the capability of decoding
4:2:2 cheaply. At least I hope so, seems like more and more of the sports feeds are coming down in 4:2:2 now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)