4:2:2 on the MicroHD in the future?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just wondering if I were using a thumbdrive stick which holds 32 GB of memory, can I record the 4:2:2 feed into thumbdrive and transfer to my desktop computer?:coffee

If not then I guess get a external hard drive DVR device.

Just wondering if I were using a thumbdrive stick which holds 32 GB of memory, can I record the 4:2:2 feed into thumbdrive and transfer to my desktop computer?:coffee

If not then I guess get a external hard drive DVR device.

I don't see why not as long as you have the space.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Other than that Daystar feed I found and the "feeds" channel on AMG TV (97W C-Band) those are the only 4:2:2 stations I know. The one most familiar with 4:2:2 were the GDMX feeds on 99W (2820 V 26000). They beam up the syndicated shows (judge, TMZ, older shows) and were 4:2:2. They have been 4:2:0 for a while now
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/266366-gdmx-channels-99w-now-4-2-a.html

so yeah 4:2:2 is not needed. I mean the MicroHD can record it. Just play it back on a computer (thats what I did for that test)

If you want to seeBS as it should be,not the macro blocking mess my local EYE rebroadcaster puts out,then 4-2-2 is still required.That's the main reason I bought my AZ Ultra.Unfortunately the microHD is going to have to wait till the insurance company(home&auto) and the village extortionists(prop tax) get done confiscating all my income + for the month.:(

4:2:2 support is not possible on the microHD without a daughterboard. The market is too niche to develop a product specifically for 4:2:2. Azbox and DVBS/S2 PCI /USB PC solutions are available, perform well and are very reasonably priced.

I have repeated this many times and the reduced transmissions indicate that my observations are correct...... The trend continues.... 4:2:2 usage continues to decline as it was used to increase the resolution of MPEG2 using legacy equipment. MPEG4 provides better efficiency, uses less bandwidth provide higher resolution. Yes, I understand that there are occasional feeds and two 24/7 channels, but there are many less events using 4:2:2 each year. It was a stop gap that is no longer necessary and rarely used as most trucks and downlinks have now transitioned to MPEG4.

Unless a chipset natively supports 4:2:2 and it excels as a DVBS / S2 STB, it doesn't make much business sense to develop. At this point there is no well supported chipset supporting 4:2:2 that is produced targeting the consumer market. BTW.... Azbox mistakenly supported 4:2:2. It was pointed out by a hobbyist, after the STB's release, that the Sigma chipset supported 4:2:2. Several months later a firmware release enabled it. Sigma has little interest or internal support for the DVBS market as they are primarily focused on the media player market.

What SatelliteAV says.....I do MPEG4 (H.264) transmissions all the time and rarely do we have transmission parameters requesting 4:2:2. ESPN when they did MPEG2 would routinely request 4:2:2. And.....truth be told, sometimes I would forget to change the parameters in the encoder and unless the downlink site was looking at the TS, no one would ever know that it was a 4:2:0 feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)