4:2:2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
4:2:2 has nothing to do with audio. It is the way color information is transmitted. Rod Hewitt has a very nice explanation in his mpeg2 section http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/index.html . Search for 4:2:2.

As for fta receivers, you choices are either pci card or a QualiTv receiver.

Note to Mods.. QualiTv 4:2:2 feature might be somewhat sensitive information since we all know what kind of stuff is 4:2:2 . Please delete my reference to it if you think it compromises anything.

What, network feeds and HDTV? not sure "what kind of stuff is 4:2:2" that your talking about :confused:

No, I was refering to the other posters comment, sounded like he thought viewing 4:2:2 was hacking?

It could've been something else....

I think he thought that the link might be going a bit overboard because it also discusses other things such as encryption codings and how they work. Of course it doesn't tell you how to hack them, so I wouldn't deem it offensive to the FTA forum. It also doesn't seem to endorse the idea of hacking. In fact, I find it to be a very useful and informative link at that.

By the way.....

I think the only station on here discussed having the 4:2:2 picture encoding was an NBC station that is FTA in SD only. 4:2:2 doesn't necessarily mean its in HD, it just means that the picture is superior to a regular 4:2:0 SD broadcast because the picture is a higher quality picture.

I was just refering to the fact that 4:2:2 is not widely available to consumers (on cheap receivers). If it becomes a general knowledge and is widely discussed, it will come to the attention of content providers and those feeds slowely might start encrypting.

After all they are not intended for our use :)

Sorry for the confusion.

vj9999 said:
If it becomes a general knowledge and is widely discussed, it will come to the attention of content providers and those feeds slowely might start encrypting.

I concur.
When some idiots started posting shows on Usenet a while ago, they became encrypted which took the pleasure of watching them away from thousands of other users.
Station managers know that people are watching feeds, they're not oblivious to it but once it becomes too widespread that 4:2:2 is easily obtainable they'll go the way of Enterprise etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)