4:2:2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hunter2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
NY
Hello All,

Since I sow this tech term here, I will ask my question here :)
What exactly this 4:2:2 means? I know 4:3 and 16:9, but I never heard of this one … I’m assuming that it’s something complete different
Can I get this 4:2:2 with Nexus? What about Fortecstar Lifetime ?

Thanks.

hunter2 said:
Hello All,

Since I sow this tech term here, I will ask my question here :)
What exactly this 4:2:2 means? I know 4:3 and 16:9, but I never heard of this one … I’m assuming that it’s something complete different
Can I get this 4:2:2 with Nexus? What about Fortecstar Lifetime ?

Thanks.

Nexus should work. You need the PC to software decode the signal with Elecard codec. That is why the fortec star lifetime can't do 4:2:2, because it can't decode it.

Thanks jerryt.

So you are saying 4:2:2 is incription?
Or it's a HD standard? What is 4:2:0 then? :confused:

It a video type. The PCI cards can do it with the appropriate filters. There can be 4:2:0 which is digital, 4:2:2 which is also digital, but the PCI cards can do it with MPG2 filters, or codecs. There is plain 4:2:2 which is not HD but there is also 4:2:2 HD. There can also be 4:2:0 HD.

Clear it up?

4:2:0 all DVB recevers can see, as long as the signal isnt encrypted (like Globecast)
4:2:2 PC cards (and expensive receivers) can see

YUV Sampling
One of the advantages of YUV is that the chroma channels can have a lower sampling rate than the Y channel without a dramatic degradation of the perceptual quality. A notation called the A:B:C notation is used to describe how often U and V are sampled relative to Y:

4:4:4 means no downsampling of the chroma channels.
4:2:2 means 2:1 horizontal downsampling, with no vertical downsampling. Every scan line contains four Y samples for every two U or V samples.
4:2:0 means 2:1 horizontal downsampling, with 2:1 vertical downsampling.
4:1:1 means 4:1 horizontal downsampling, with no vertical downsampling. Every scan line contains four Y samples for every U or V sample. 4:1:1 sampling is less common than other formats, and is not discussed in detail in this article.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwmt/html/YUVFormats.asp

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts