$4.95 a month for DVR service. is this right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

barth2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
so I got my hdtivo finally. hit record and a msg came up. "you must activate dvr service...." I called and they told me $4.95 a month. you've gotta be kidding! is there a package that INCLUDES dvr service? maybe I should just get THAT.

Actually it's $4.99 and no it's not included in a package.

If you were to go out and buy a standalone Tivo they charge around $12 a month, so the DirecTV charge isn't a big deal, everyone's doing it and you can't avoid it ;)

The DVR service is available at no additional cost only if you subscribe to the Total Choice Premiere package ($93.99). However, the one charge will cover any DVR active in the home.

The $4.99 is for the continued development of software for the DVR as well as the data necessary to operate the DVR, which goes beyond the guide info needed for standard receivers. Stand Alone Tivo's are much more expensive, I think it's about $12 per month and there are options that cost more.

I've had a DVR for about 18 months now and in February replaced my other 3 receivers with DVR's for a total of 4 now. I still only pay the one fee of $4.99 a month. It's WELL worth it. I have no complaint about the fee and after you've used your DVR for a short period of time, you'll wonder how you did without it.

As Sports Illustrated said... "It's the best invention ever, period."

ddobson said:
I have no complaint about the fee and after you've used your DVR for a short period of time, you'll wonder how you did without it.

As Sports Illustrated said... "It's the best invention ever, period."

You're not kidding. I drive a lot, and I constantly find myself reaching for the radio to hit the "Skip Back 8 seconds" button. Obviously, I get frustrated that there really isn't such a button.

barth2k said:
so I got my hdtivo finally. hit record and a msg came up. "you must activate dvr service...." I called and they told me $4.95 a month. you've gotta be kidding! is there a package that INCLUDES dvr service? maybe I should just get THAT.
If you get the premium pkg I beleiver it's included in it. But the premium run 90 somethng dollars per month.

Yes the DVR fee is indeed 4.99/month for the account and that covers all DirecTV DVRs with Tivo under that account. Mirror fees are extra of course like any box. Also the 4.99/month DVR fee will be waived if you subscribe to Total Choice Premier.

The good thing is that customers can have say three DirecTV DVRs under their account and still only pay the one single 4.99/month fee because again that fee covers all DTivos under your account not per box.

peterl1365 said:
You're not kidding. I drive a lot, and I constantly find myself reaching for the radio to hit the "Skip Back 8 seconds" button. Obviously, I get frustrated that there really isn't such a button.

Off topic, I know, but you could use a XM SkyFi2 radio with the pause/rewind feature. Works great! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)