4 LNB ito 1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwillis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Help, I have a t55 dish with 4 LNB and want to somehow channel those 4 into 1 so I only have one cable coming into the house and then split them back into 4 so I can hook 2 RG cables up to my Captiveworks 3000hd and then feed the remaining 2 RG6 cables to to my other 2 Nfusion recievers.
Just want some way of not running a massive amount of RG6 cables from outside into the house, is there anyway of doing this?
Thanks John

Splitting them back out might be an issue, I just don't see how you'll get away with only 1 cable coming in if you want the 3 tuners to have seperate programming.

Not to take it off-topic, but how are those Nfusion's working? How many LNB's on that T55 (what are you picking up?)

Just bought the equipment

Just bought this equipment, nothing is set up as of yet, just trying to get everything I need to do the installation, want it to be painless as possible.
Don't know about the Nfusion recievers, a friend has the Captiveworks 3000hd and loves that unit, I'm a computer guy with experience with Linux and what not, that's why I bought these units, other than that, I have Zero experience!

I'll cut right to the chase since SatinKzo skirted around the issue more elegantly than I would ;)

A T-55 isn't going to be worth much for your FTA receivers. It's effective viewable surface area for each lnb is approx 20 inches, which is WAY too small for any FTA satellites. Since Dish encrypted the audio stations, there's very little up there on their sats for LEGAL FTA, and especially not enough to merit 4 lnb's.

I think what you'll be looking for is either a T-90, multiple dishes, or a dishnetwork subscription if you want legal satellite reception.

Ok, that's what I want, some who will cut right to the chase, Like I said I don't have much experience!
I had T55 tech support email me the satelites I could pick up, the number was 4, so, what your telling me is, my reception will be very poor to no-existant.
Sounds like I should have bought the T-90....
Is there any equipment that will allow you to channel 4 LNB into 1 and then back to 4 inside the house, 2 for the Captiveworks3000, the other 2 for the Nfusions.... just thought with todays technology there would be some equipment that would allow you to do this.
Like I said, green as grass and no clue!

Yes, the T90 will be a much better choice for FTA. T55's have their value, don't get us wrong, but not for FTA and the receivers you have really.

As for your question, like I stated earlier I personally do not know of anything that can do what you want and allow the 3 receivers to have seperate programming/channel/polarity changes.

It's friday and I'm having problems focusing tonight..., but one way I think would be the fewest wires in to the house would involve something like this

Each LNB (dual output LNBs) is fed into 2 4x4 multiswitches
Then each output from the switch would go to a 22khz *edit (also, a simple diseqc could be used instead, actually might be better as I can't remember if the 4x4 uses 22khz to switch internall, if they do, then you can't use 2 22khz in a row, I'm just out of now, it's been too long a week so someone will correct me here if I'm wrong)
Then each 22khz (or probably better each Diseqc) output to 1 receiver

I attached a diagram to visualize it. However this might qualify as one of the worst diagrams ever done on the site, but hey, I did it in paint.
Also, realize that others who understand switches better might have a better solution

*edit:
as soon as I posted it, I realized I think I messed it up.
Insted of the outputs of the LNB's going to 2 different 4x4's, each output would need to go to the same MS. LNB 1-2 would go to 1 switch and LNB 3-4 would go to the 2nd switch, not crisscrossed like I have them in the drawing.
I'll try to upload a revised one.

Attachments

• diagram.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
You need to have Diseqc switches between the receiver and the 4x4 switches

but I guess the first thing to do is get rid of that T55 since there are about 10 free channels on the DBS satellites

4 LNB into 1

Thankyou so much for the help, first off, I'll have to sell my t-55 and upgrade to the t-90.
I'm north of the 55th in northern Canada, way up there, in the winter it goes down to -40 degrees, not much to do in the winter months, I would like to spend the summer toying around with this getting it set up.
Would the bigger dish get more satelites?
Like I said, I'm limited to 4 with the t-55, would like to get the FTA channels and also subscribe to Dishnet or one of the providers in the states.
If I'm going to buy the T-90,should I use the same number of LNBs or get a motorized unit with 1 LNB?
At this point, I feel like I in way over my head, will to do lots of reading, hopefully, it sinks into that gray matter!
I would like to get it right this time around.

John

Last edited:
Thankyou so much for the help, first off, I'll have to sell my t-55 and upgrade to the t-90.
I'm north of the 55th in northern Canada, way up there, in the winter it goes down to -40 degrees, not much to do in the winter months, I would like to spend the summer toying around with this getting it set up.
Would the bigger dish get more satelites?
Like I said, I'm limited to 4 with the t-55, would like to get the FTA channels and also subscribe to Dishnet or one of the providers in the states.
If I'm going to buy the T-90,should I use the same number of LNBs or get a motorized unit with 1 LNB?
At this point, I feel like I in way over my head, will to do lots of reading, hopefully, it sinks into that gray matter!
I would like to get it right this time around.

John

A bigger dish will definitely get you more satellites. As far as your question about should you get a T-90 or a motorized dish, I guess that's up to the individual. The biggest benefit of a T90 I can think of is not having to wait for the dish to move. However you may have marginal signal levels on the LNBs on the outside. I've never had one but, I've done alot of reading here. I have a 10 ft. motorized dish. It's probably cheaper to have the motorized. You don't have so many LNB to buy. You might want to check the site sponsors for a bundled deal if you want to go that way.

4 LNB into 1

I have to decide if I'm going to order the T90 dish or just a round 35" motorized dish, the t90 seems like it's going to be a wiring nightmare to all the recievers but if I can figure a way of cabling it, that may be the way to go, I'll be doing lots of research on the cabling aspect of the T90 to multiple recievers.
If I go the motorized dish route, what would be the best LNB to mount to it?
I'm in no rush, we still have 3' of snow and I have all summer to research and read up on my options.
John

I have to decide if I'm going to order the T90 dish or just a round 35" motorized dish, the t90 seems like it's going to be a wiring nightmare to all the recievers but if I can figure a way of cabling it, that may be the way to go, I'll be doing lots of research on the cabling aspect of the T90 to multiple recievers.
If I go the motorized dish route, what would be the best LNB to mount to it?
I'm in no rush, we still have 3' of snow and I have all summer to research and read up on my options.
John

I'm about to get a T90. I bought 10 dual LNBF's. I plan to run these into 4 4x4 switches. I will then feed 1 output from each 4x4 into a 3 DiSEqC switches. These will feed 1 receiver each. I learned this setup from Iceberg. You would still need 4 wires for this setup. If you are running 4 receivers, you probably would not want a motor because it will limit your viewing on all the other sets. A T90 will allow any receiver to view any satellite.

Am I correct then in surmising that the T-55 is intended for only for people who (A) want to do something illegal or (B) didn't know any better? I guess there'd be a small group of (C) who want something convenient for travel or the lake house or whatever to use with their legally subscribed equipment.

I think we have determined that the OP fits description (B) so this is not any sort of accusation against him.

Am I correct then in surmising that the T-55 is intended for only for people who (A) want to do something illegal or (B) didn't know any better? I guess there'd be a small group of (C) who want something convenient for travel or the lake house or whatever to use with their legally subscribed equipment.

I think we have determined that the OP fits description (B) so this is not any sort of accusation against him.

pretty much

(C) who want something convenient for travel

I'm getting this vision of setting up and tearing down a torroidal often. Not really a quick or convenient process..

or the lake house

Now we're talking. A new lake house, properly positioned, would increase my eastern visible sky. When it's said this can be an expensive hobby, they're not kidding!! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)