4 questions about ViP622

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I have the 622 scheduled to be installed tomorrow, so I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to the following questions.

1. How big is a Hard Drive in that unit?

2. How much of SD and HD time can be recorded on the hard drive?

3. Can the hard drive be replaced for a larger one?

4. If 3 is yes, then where can I get the instructions on how to do it?

Thank You

Suppafreak,

1. Around 250 GB
2. 25 hrs of HD, like 200 hrs of SD shared between the two so if you record 10 hours of HD, your reducine SD space.
3. No
4. OBE.

Dish has demonstrated an external drive capability but is not released. I suspect the use of external storage is under review by the legal side for copyright and/or patent issues.

Miner

1. Not sure.
2. 200 hours SD / 30 hours HD
3. Not if you lease, and not sure if you buy it. I would not mess with it if you can. At least wait until the warranty expires.

1. It's a 320GB SATA drive
2. SD - 200hrs / HD - 30 hours, variable based on MPEG2 or MPEG4 content
3. Have not heard of a self install working, Dish supposedly has a 500GB version but not yet released.
4. If you own your 622 and don't care, look up the specs on the model inside yours and match it with another drive with a larger capacity and see what happens. YMMV, don't try this at home, not responsible for contents left in vehicle, driver carries no cash - he's married.

And of course I assume that until the external storage is enabled, there is no way to download the recorded shows to the PC?

3> Even if you would (could) put in a larger drive it will NOT increase your available recording time. The only area it would increase would be the area used for VOD.

And of course I assume that until the external storage is enabled, there is no way to download the recorded shows to the PC?

You can move recorded SD shows to your computer by way of PocketDish now - HOWEVER, they are encrypted and will not play on your computer. External Archiving will not change this encryption implementation either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)