4-Way Splitter versus a Terminator or 3-Way Splitter

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
I now have an unused port on a 4-way splitter -- in other words, I have a rooftop antenna, a preamp, and I went from feeding 4 TV sets to 3 TV sets this past week. Therefore, I now have an open port on a 4-way splitter. Which of the following does a better job of preventing signal loss and potentially improving the signal to the remaining 3 TV sets? Keeping the 4-way splitter and using a 75-OHM terminator on the unused port OR replacing the 4-way splitter with a 3-way splitter. If the terminator is just as good and essentially makes my 4-way splitter a 3-way, I'll go with that.

Thanks!

Eric

I would put the terminator on there since everything works fine otherwise. If you swap to a 3 way splitter you may have issues with the splitter (I've seen that happen a new splitter makes the picture worse)

A 4 way splitter loses 7dB on each leg of the splitter. A 3 way splitter loses 3.5 dB on one leg and 7dB on 2 legs of the splitter, The 3,5 dB leg has twice as much signal on it as the other 2 legs. If you have a TV with weak signal strength using that leg may help it. If signals are good on all TVs just terminate the 4 way.

I now have an unused port on a 4-way splitter -- in other words, I have a rooftop antenna, a preamp, and I went from feeding 4 TV sets to 3 TV sets this past week. Therefore, I now have an open port on a 4-way splitter. Which of the following does a better job of preventing signal loss and potentially improving the signal to the remaining 3 TV sets? Keeping the 4-way splitter and using a 75-OHM terminator on the unused port OR replacing the 4-way splitter with a 3-way splitter. If the terminator is just as good and essentially makes my 4-way splitter a 3-way, I'll go with that.

Thanks!

Eric

eacalhoun, if you use real 75ohm coax terminators you will have gain in the ends used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)