411 died

Doa

Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
Well I just got a brand spanken new 411 installed this last saturday just to have it die on me yesterday.

The events leading up to its death:

Morning: ran fine, went to school

Afternoon: Came home from school, had to replace a wall plug. I turned everything
off, and replaced my wall plug (not the same plug my stuff is plugged into
either. Turned the breaker back on, and went to watch some tv, and well
the tv turned on, my audio system turned on, but no satallite receiver.

If anyone has a idea what may have happen to this receiver, im open for insight :confused: (Also note, when I plug it in, I can hear the switches and transformers inside working.)

Side note: I called my installer up, he was like oh just plug in your old receiver it should work, indeed it did for 6 hours, then it de-subbed it self lol :p

It was a wall plug in my hall way that is apart of the same series breaker that is called the "west wall", my tv outlet is on that breaker, so thus I turned off my equipment before turning the breaker off.

and for the records, that wallplug does work, and I know electrion oriented type things (no idiot)..

I called dish this morning, they told me there were a group of receivers shipped (411) that were defective and that the one I received was bad.

a dish receiver never really "turns off"
When you hit the power button it basicly cuts the video & audio output of the receiver & puts the receiver in a mode to receive updates from the satellite.

DOA! - same problem with my new VIP211

The installer for my VIP211 arrived 4 hours late. After he plugged it in - it worked OK. I left the house for 4 hours, came back, turned on the VIP211 only to hear the crackling sound coming from inside the box. The green light was flashing on and off continuously and I also saw sparks flying inside the box (fire hazard)

After spending 3 hours with Dish - being disconnected, waiting on hold and talking to people all over the world who tried to convince me that my problem has to do with MY power supply and not the box - I eventually managed to get my point across to a tech who arranged for the replacement box to be shipped to me. Once I get the new box - I am to call their tech support and have them guide me on how to activate it (another struggle coming up).

I was wondering if more people have experienced same problem. Hopefully not - but it would be helpful for the rest of you to know if these are isolated incidents or not.

Doa said:
Well I just got a brand spanken new 411 installed this last saturday just to have it die on me yesterday.

The events leading up to its death:

Morning: ran fine, went to school

Afternoon: Came home from school, had to replace a wall plug. I turned everything
off, and replaced my wall plug (not the same plug my stuff is plugged into
either. Turned the breaker back on, and went to watch some tv, and well
the tv turned on, my audio system turned on, but no satallite receiver.

If anyone has a idea what may have happen to this receiver, im open for insight :confused: (Also note, when I plug it in, I can hear the switches and transformers inside working.)

Side note: I called my installer up, he was like oh just plug in your old receiver it should work, indeed it did for 6 hours, then it de-subbed it self lol :p

Martin586 said:
The installer for my VIP211 arrived 4 hours late. After he plugged it in - it worked OK. I left the house for 4 hours, came back, turned on the VIP211 only to hear the crackling sound coming from inside the box. The green light was flashing on and off continuously and I also saw sparks flying inside the box (fire hazard)

After spending 3 hours with Dish - being disconnected, waiting on hold and talking to people all over the world who tried to convince me that my problem has to do with MY power supply and not the box - I eventually managed to get my point across to a tech who arranged for the replacement box to be shipped to me. Once I get the new box - I am to call their tech support and have them guide me on how to activate it (another struggle coming up).

I was wondering if more people have experienced same problem. Hopefully not - but it would be helpful for the rest of you to know if these are isolated incidents or not.

Good, thank you for making a ON TOPIC reply. Interesting, my 411 didn't have sparks, least not from what I seen. I smelt for burnt pcb/electronics and it smelled like brand new equipment.

I got the installer coming over tomorrow to install hook a new 411 up, unforutently I'm not gonna be around so my room mate is gonna take care of most of the stuff for me.

So far to date, including your post martin586, I've herd about 6 211/411 just stop working or electrical issues causing the receiver to die. I've also herd, and dish told me, though only about 411, that some were defective. Far as figures go, who knows?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)