411 HDMI/DVI-D question

hhkr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Big Sur, CA
I have a Westinghouse 32inch lcd and I've been running it just fine in my 811 for the last couple of months. There is some improvement over the component picture on the 811 receiver.
I just got my new 411 and it has HDMI. I ordered a cable that plugs into the HDMI of the 411 and has a DVI-D on the other end. I looked at the ends and its exactly the same as the one that was working with the 811. I get no picture from the 411, I tried a reset, I hooked it up cold and did a factory reset on the lcd tv also. Still no picture. Its a brand new cable and before I give up I thought I'd ask and see if anybody else was able to get a HDMI to DVI-D cable to work on their system.
I also tried changing the receiver from 1080i to 720 but that didn't work either.
Thanks
Tim

The only problem I have had with any dish receiver and DVI is sometimes I had to reseat the dvi cable and screw it in tight.

Let us know if you figure it out though, as I will have to do DVI to HDMI when I upgrade receivers.

BrettTRay said:
I wish I had something to add that would help you. Does the component output work.

Yes, it does work, and the sd picture is more clear than the 811 was so there is an improvement. I can't complain about the component picture because it is watchable. On the 811 the DVI-D was just a little bit better quality, so I was hoping it might be the same on the 411, but I guess I won't know unless somebody else tells me that they got one to work.

Tim

SatinKzo said:
The only problem I have had with any dish receiver and DVI is sometimes I had to reseat the dvi cable and screw it in tight.

Let us know if you figure it out though, as I will have to do DVI to HDMI when I upgrade receivers.

I'm going to order an adapter next and see if that works with the working dvi-d to dvi-d cable that I had working on the 811. But I don't know, the receiver is too new to find out any info on it yet.

Tim

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my HDMI port. I use the HDMI input on my TV. Everything worked fine yesterday, but this morning all I got was a blue screen. What I had to do was, with the TV and 411 on, unplug the HDMI cable from the 411 and plug it back in and it came on. No problems since.

Scott

hhkr said:
I have a Westinghouse 32inch lcd and I've been running it just fine in my 811 for the last couple of months. There is some improvement over the component picture on the 811 receiver.
I just got my new 411 and it has HDMI. I ordered a cable that plugs into the HDMI of the 411 and has a DVI-D on the other end. I looked at the ends and its exactly the same as the one that was working with the 811. I get no picture from the 411, I tried a reset, I hooked it up cold and did a factory reset on the lcd tv also. Still no picture. Its a brand new cable and before I give up I thought I'd ask and see if anybody else was able to get a HDMI to DVI-D cable to work on their system.
I also tried changing the receiver from 1080i to 720 but that didn't work either.
Thanks
Tim

I'm almost positive that model of Westinghouse tv doesn't support HDCP. (High-definition copy protection)

GeorgeLV said:
I'm almost positive that model of Westinghouse tv doesn't support HDCP. (High-definition copy protection)
Well lets see. From the manual:
Input Signal:
DVI-D (HDCP support)
And it worked in my 811 for a couple of months.
Tim

hhkr said:
Well lets see. From the manual:
Input Signal:
DVI-D (HDCP support)
And it worked in my 811 for a couple of months.
Tim

OK, it seems only the Westinghouse W33001 doesn't support HDCP.

Can you hookup a computer with the HDMI connection as well on the television or is there another connection that is needed in order to do this?

Stargazer said:
Can you hookup a computer with the HDMI connection as well on the television or is there another connection that is needed in order to do this?

It has a vga to hook up to a computer.

Tim

SatinKzo said:
hhkr,

What cable/adapter did you buy?

Cable: hdmi male to dvi-d (dual link, exactly as the one I used on the 811 and worked)

I'm waiting for an adapter now to try on the end of my dvi-d x dvi-d cable that worked in the 811.

Tim

maybe I should have been a little more clear. Who manufactured the cable? What is the pin-out ont the DVI side? You say Dual-Link and the makes me think 24 pins with one blade pin on the right by itself, but I want to make sure we are talking the same thing.

Who is the manufacturer of the DVI cable you used before?

I always used a 24 pin DVI-D cable with my 811/921.

Last edited:
SatinKzo said:
maybe I should have been a little more clear. Who manufactured the cable? What is the pin-out ont the DVI side? You say Dual-Link and the makes me think 24 pins with one blade pin on the right by itself, but I want to make sure we are talking the same thing.
Who is the manufacturer of the DVI cable you used before?
I always used a 24 pin DVI-D cable with my 811/921.
The original cable was a belkin dual link. The difference between a dual link and a single link can be explained here:
http://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=23

It says that dual link is backwards compatible to single link.

Tim

After quite a bit more research and a couple of more calls, it appears that the LCD has a female connector that in the specs is called a dvi-d hdcp compliant connector.
I had it hooked up with a belkin dvi-d (24 pins 1 horizontal connector) male cable. Male on both ends. It worked in the lcd monitor and the 811, a very good picture.
On studying dvi and hdmi and vga etc, connectors, it seems that the female connector that is in the lcd, while labeled dvi-d is actually a dvi-i female connector. dvi-i is supposed to provide digital and analog both. Nowhere in the specs does it say that the monitor accepts analog signals.
On further searching, hdmi and dvi-i are not usually on the same cable. Nowhere can I find dvi-i to hdmi, it usually goes to vga, dfp or adc connectors. I saw one connector with hdmi on one side and dvi-d on the other that was actually a dvi-i female. the dvi-i has 24 pins a horizontal connector like the dvi-d, but with another 2 connectors, 1 above the horizontal connector, and one below.
So now I'm no further than I was before, because the belkin cable that worked with the 811 was a dvi-d male on either end and the 811 had a dvi-d female and the lcd monitor has a dvi-i female connector.
And hdmi is supposed to be backwards compatible to dvi-i.
I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me that they got a 411 working with a dvi-d lcd display.
Tim

OK, your not going to believe this but I got it working. What, its been 3 days now and I've tried just about everything. Well tonight I had both connectors out looking at them and took the new cable out of the lcd tv and stared at everything for a while. I figured I'd buy an adapter and then give it up if that didn't work.

Mind you I plugged it in hot, like it was suggested in this thread and I've seen in some of the specs. So 411on thru component, I switched to dvi and saw the sign on the screen saying no input. I plugged in the dvi with the hdmi already in the 411 on the other end and I saw a picture. I blinked, cause it was an sd picture, so I turned to an hd channel and it still worked.

Now I can switch back and forth and the picture quality is just about exactly the same between the component and the dvi, with the dvi having a softer/smoother picture with a little less color than the component video. I'll have to say I like the dvi better.

Tim

let me turn it off and see if it comes back on. Yes, it works when it is turned back on.

I'm glad you got it working. I know when I upgrade I will have to have a HDMI to DVI-D cable. I didn't think that it was the fact that the tv had a DVI-I connector instead of DVI-D. I think they put DVI-I connectors on tv's so that if you have a DVI-I cable instead of a DVI-D that it will still be able to go in where as if the tv only had a DVI-D connector and all you had was a DVI-I cable you wouldn't be able to insert it in because the prongs on the cable would be in the way. I know every tv that I have ever seen has a DVI-I connector on it but I don't even think that the analog part is even active. IIRC the 811 have DVI-D connectors and the 921's have DVI-I on them, but I don't know what the 942's have on them. If someone could look and let us know that would be great.

glad to hear you got it working. I too don't think it had anything to do with your tv connector. Most tv's I have seen have a dvi-i connector for compatibility only so all the cables out there will fit. I used a dvi-d cable with my TV and my 811 and it also worked just fine on my 921 which did have a dvi-i port (but I think only for compatibility with cables, I could be wrong, but it had nothing to do with my tv picture off the 921 as I only had a dvi-d cable)

Also, I would be willing to say there is no HDMI to DVI-I cable cause HDMI is digital only. Doing a quick search I find absolutly no HDMI-DVI-I cables. Maybe there are some specialty ones out there, but I can't find them. I also don't see why they would be useful.

As for the 942, I believe it had HDMI. I can't get the PDF to load off the dish website though.

Bett, I see we visit the same site.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts