411/vip211

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
Has anyone talked to any distributors today to see if they got the 411/VIP211. I just talked to 1 and they don't expect any until next week.:(

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

I just got a call from Claude at DishStore.NET and he has just received 25 DIsh 411 MPEG4 Receivers. :)

Don't know if they are on the site yet but they will be by tommorow. :D

Dish Comm... interesting new feature?

Maybe I'm behind the times, but this is the first I've heard about this feature that they're calling Dish Comm (see quotation from Dish TechPortal below). Receivers that support this feature can communicate with each other over the electrical wiring of your house and find out which one of them has a phone connection. They will then route PPV order information through that receiver that has the phone connection, but I assume that this could be handy for a number of other things like verifying whether all receivers registered to the account are in the same location.
From Dish TechPortal
DISH Comm allows supported receivers to communicate with each other through the electrical plug and house AC wiring and be able to see if one of them has a phone line connection. When it is time to download PPV purchases, the receiver will route the information to the phone line connected receiver to dial out and report. This communication will include information of which receiver the purchases originated. One DISH Comm receiver must be connected to a phone line.

I'm thinking that the main reason for the DISH COMM is to verify that all the receivers on your account are at your residence. They are just giving off some laim excuse as to why there are using it.

DIshCOMM is also built into the 942.

I have played with the 411 as it was being beta tested, it was like using a 942 however it had no DVR functions.

The menus looked the same. :)

Dish Comm on 942

Scott... I've got a 942 and I don't recall seeing any mention of this feature in the owner's manual. Do you know if this is software feature that can be added to legacy receivers or will it just be available on new models from this point on.

I agree with BrettTRay on the real purpose of the feature. It sounds like a way to make it easier for them to do audits and verify location. This way nobody can use the excuse that they couldn't run a phone line to at least ONE of their receivers.

It's to save people the expense of buying wireless jacks because they finally recognized that not every room has a phone jack. This revelation came to them shortly after people starting not having landline service at all.

Does anone know if the hdmi and the component outputs of the 411 or 211 are both active at the same time?

I have one room that runs on hdmi and one that runs on component, and I use just one receiver to feed both rooms. Switching outputs in the menu is a real pain.

Thanks.

Shelly

shelly said:
Does anone know if the hdmi and the component outputs of the 411 or 211 are both active at the same time?
I have one room that runs on hdmi and one that runs on component, and I use just one receiver to feed both rooms. Switching outputs in the menu is a real pain.
Thanks.
Shelly
Looking at the interactive menus online, there does not appear to be any place to select your HD out connections. So I think they are probably both hot at all time. And even the three SD outputs (i.e., S-video, composite, rf) are probably also hot.

maljabit said:
Dishcomm ... Do you know if this is software feature that can be added to legacy receivers or will it just be available on new models from this point on.
Nope - it requires hardware.

And IMO, E* was stupid to use the power lines to communicate. They had a perfect opportunity (with DPPlus) to use their own coax for the job and avoid stepping on other power-line technology like X-10, IP over power, phone over power, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts