4900 Receiver only sees 105

joprandi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
I have a 4900 reciever that is only seeing the sat at 105.

I have 3 other receivers setup an 811, 510 and 6000 and I have no problem with them.

Here is what I have tried. Attached receiver to a different port on DP34 switch. Attached DP adaptor that is working on 6000 to the 4900. Replaced cables from dp34 switch to 4900.

Any other suggestions or is it a hosed 4900?

Did you run "check switch"? If 105 is on the first input of the DP34, that's likely all the receiver will find until you run a check switch.

If "check switch" is how you found out it only sees 105, my apologies, sounds like you have a bad receiver.

Take the wire off going to dish and run a check switch. This will take a little longer as there will be no signal at all, but it will clear the switch matrix. Then hook the wire back up and try another switch test and see if that solves the problem.

For legacy receivers I have found they work best if 119 is on port 1, 110 is on port 2 and 105 is on port 3. This is going from top to bottom.

If its all DP capable equipment then the order really doesn't matter but it's good practice to follow the little diagram on the front of the DP34 switch which is what I just quoted.

If the 4900 will not work with or without the DP Adaptor bypass the DP 34 and go straight to the 119 line with a barrel connector and see if it will check switch that one.

If it does see 119 your receiver probably needs software update. Check its version over at Dishnetwork to be sure.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp

I thought the same thing about the DP Adaptor but he said he used the one from his 6000 receiver and it didn't work. And its been so long since I did anything with 4900 that I couldn't remember whether it needed the DP Adaptor or not.

That's why I suggested he actually hook it to the 119 line and check for a software update. Just to make sure the receiver was actually working.

but if the LNB's are DishPro (as the SD is), he'll need a DP adapter anyways (even to run it directly off 119) since the 4900 is Legacy :)

Actually the guy did say that he used the DP adapter from the 6000 to the 4900. He should make sure the DP adapter works for the 6000 first (as in try it with the 6000 now), though. I guess I didn't read that part. :D

If the DP Adapter is good, then he should take the DP adapter and 4900 to the room that has the 510 (confirm again that it works here) and see if it works there. If it doesn't, then he should check the software version first and if that's good, then that's likely a bad receiver after eliminating other possiblities. If the receiver works there, then something's wrong with the other room or it's a bad port on the DP34 switch where you can try another port to eliminate that possiblity as well. Do a process of elimination! But remember to pair the 4900 with the DP adapter if taking it to another room that has a DISH receiver installed.

I have not had time to try hooking it up to just 119. Yes I know that a DP adaptor is needed and have tried a couple including one that I know works with my 6000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)