4900 receiver only sees 110 sat.

thowe21

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Torrance, CA
I have a 4900 model receiver which I've had since I first signed up with Dish in '99. I've eventually put it into my daughter's room as I have upgraded to 501 to a 721 and now to a 622. Last night she told she was getting a error message on screen, I went and took a look and noticed she had a lost sat signal. I did a smart card reboot and a check switch and it came back as unknown/no switch detected and was only seeing 110 sat. The thing is my 622 and 501 are working fine. I have a Dish 1000 and a SW64 installed. I called tech support, told him my problem, what I already did and he said the problem was with the switch and not the receiver. Since I'm not signed up for the warranty plan, a visit would cost $50 to check it out. I told him thanks but no thanks. I went and checked the power on the sw64 to make sure it was working and double checked the 622 and 501 signal strength / configuration which were all good. I then pulled an old 2700 model receiver out of the closet and decided to hook it up to my daughter's line. I called Dish to reactivate it (and deactivate the 4900) and after a software update and a check switch it is working fine (my daughter could care less as long as Nickelodeon is on). So I believe the problem isn't the switch or the wiring but the 4900. Glad I didn't waste the $50 and even more glad that I kept that old 2700 model after all these years. Therefore, does it sound like I'm right, do these legacy receivers sometimes malfunction (software or otherwise) when it comes to recognizing sat feeds and switch configs?? Should I try the 4900 on another line to verify?

I have a 4900 model receiver which I've had since I first signed up with Dish in '99. I've eventually put it into my daughter's room as I have upgraded to 501 to a 721 and now to a 622. Last night she told she was getting a error message on screen, I went and took a look and noticed she had a lost sat signal. I did a smart card reboot and a check switch and it came back as unknown/no switch detected and was only seeing 110 sat. The thing is my 622 and 501 are working fine. I have a Dish 1000 and a SW64 installed. I called tech support, told him my problem, what I already did and he said the problem was with the switch and not the receiver. Since I'm not signed up for the warranty plan, a visit would cost $50 to check it out. I told him thanks but no thanks. I went and checked the power on the sw64 to make sure it was working and double checked the 622 and 501 signal strength / configuration which were all good. I then pulled an old 2700 model receiver out of the closet and decided to hook it up to my daughter's line. I called Dish to reactivate it (and deactivate the 4900) and after a software update and a check switch it is working fine (my daughter could care less as long as Nickelodeon is on). So I believe the problem isn't the switch or the wiring but the 4900. Glad I didn't waste the $50 and even more glad that I kept that old 2700 model after all these years. Therefore, does it sound like I'm right, do these legacy receivers sometimes malfunction (software or otherwise) when it comes to recognizing sat feeds and switch configs?? Should I try the 4900 on another line to verify?

Just verify that 4900 have the latest software upgrade otherwise it wont recognized any other sat but one

"Dish 1000 and a SW64 installed" - doesn't look right or you mistaken.
Please post switch matrix screens from 622, 501 and 4900.

As to FW, I would tell you if it works last weeks/months then exclude SW suggestion.

The SW64 is what is recognized on the 2700 model, didn't pay too much attention to the other receivers set-up since they were working fine but I do remember a longer description on the 501 describing LNB's etc... I will check it out tonight. I also don't believe my daughter turns off her satellite when not in use, just the TV so don't know about the latest SW being able to download. Good suggestions though.

A legacy box recognizes almost any modern switch such as a 34 or 44 as a SW64. It's just a software thing that they've never updated. If you just recently upgraded to a dish 1000, you probably have either a DP34 switch, or maybe a DPP44. If it's a 34 switch, the 4900 receiver should require the use of a DP adapter that should be plugged in somewhere in the line after the switch but before the receiver. A DPP44 will not require a DP adapter, but will require that a special power inserter be used between reciever port #1 on the switch and whichever receiver is plugged into it. If you have the 44, the easiest way to test this is to turn on all your receivers, then go out to the switch and disconnect the cable to receiver port #1. Which ever receiver loses signal is it. Once you've found it, look behind the TV or entertainment center to see if you find the power inserter and that it's plugged in. Just a couple options.

I checked the 501 and 622 and it's a DPP44 switch with power inverter. I couldn't hook up the 4900 to another line since everyone was too busy watching their stuff. I assume its the receiver because it worked fine for 4 months (how long its been since I upgraded to 622 and new dish/switch) but just all of a sudden could only pick up one satellite when the other legacy receiver worked fine on the same line. Does anybody know what SW version the 4900 should be running currently?

I'm a dish network installer,

didnt wanna read all the other long posts so I dont know what they have told you

Yes all the receivers malfunction and stop working and for it suddenly wake up one day and not see one of the SAT is normal.

and if your other RCVR's are working fine I'll tell you right away it was the box.. 9 - outa 10 bets.. its the Box. You did the right thing by swapping it out. If you don't have that warranty they would charge you outa the booty to replace that 64 switch anyway. So this is better.
At anytime you can call and add the warranty to your package at no upfront cost, you will just see the additional $5.99 added to your bill on the next statement.
If you have this and get on the phone with an intelligent rep they will just send you a replacement (duplicate), if they have a tech come out.. he would replace that old legacy with a brand new 301!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts