4dtv 922 receiver questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iammike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Roanoke,VA
Okay guys, I'm pretty happy with the new dish and am kicking around the idea of taknig the deal NPS is offering right now on the 922. Before I do, I've got some questions:

1) I don't have my bud set up for KU right now, but I've got several separate KU dishes. Can I hook up one of my KU dishes to the 922 and at the same time have the BUD hooked up for C-band? The NPS guy says it would work, but I'm wondering if it still won't try to move the BUD when switching to a KU channel.

2) Does the 922 have any sort of IR blaster type functionality for use with VCR/DVD recorders? I know its not a PVR, but it would be nice if it could at least start and stop a VCR when timers start and stop. Also, does anybody have a PVR solution they use with the 922? I'm looking to get rid of the little dish, but I really love the PVR ability.

3) The NPS guy indicated he could probably sweeten the programming portion of the deal a little. The basic deal is a free month of the absolute digital package if I buy the receiver for $399 plus $25 shipping and handling. What kind of pricing/package should I be able to get on the programming side? Please PM if this is inappropriate to discuss in the open forum.

4) One channel that's an absolute must for me is Sci-fi. The NPS guy said this would be going digital soon and would be added to the absolute digital package. I'd been planning on getting the Sci-fi/USA ala carte option. Is there a risk that this could go digital, but not be available to 4dtv receivers?

5) I picked up an analog receiver on ebay a while back. It came with a videocipher module that was authorized for a few channels. Can I put this in the 922, and if I do, do I run any risk of losing what its already authorized for? I don't know what provider the programming was purchased through.

Thanks,
Mike

iammike said:
Okay guys, I'm pretty happy with the new dish and am kicking around the idea of taknig the deal NPS is offering right now on the 922. Before I do, I've got some questions:

1) I don't have my bud set up for KU right now, but I've got several separate KU dishes. Can I hook up one of my KU dishes to the 922 and at the same time have the BUD hooked up for C-band? The NPS guy says it would work, but I'm wondering if it still won't try to move the BUD when switching to a KU channel.
It probably will move.
2) Does the 922 have any sort of IR blaster type functionality for use with VCR/DVD recorders? I know its not a PVR, but it would be nice if it could at least start and stop a VCR when timers start and stop. Also, does anybody have a PVR solution they use with the 922? I'm looking to get rid of the little dish, but I really love the PVR ability.
Sorry, no. You'll need to set the timers on both the 4dtv and the vcr.

3) The NPS guy indicated he could probably sweeten the programming portion of the deal a little. The basic deal is a free month of the absolute digital package if I buy the receiver for $399 plus $25 shipping and handling. What kind of pricing/package should I be able to get on the programming side? Please PM if this is inappropriate to discuss in the open forum.
Any deal would depend on what you want and the length of the subscription. Don't be afraid to haggle. They'll usually drop the price some more.

4) One channel that's an absolute must for me is Sci-fi. The NPS guy said this would be going digital soon and would be added to the absolute digital package. I'd been planning on getting the Sci-fi/USA ala carte option. Is there a risk that this could go digital, but not be available to 4dtv receivers?
Yes, there is a risk, but NPS is working on keeping the channel available. It's already being uplinked in a format that the 922 can get. The only question is if the contracts will be signed in time to prevent uninteruppted coverage.

5) I picked up an analog receiver on ebay a while back. It came with a videocipher module that was authorized for a few channels. Can I put this in the 922, and if I do, do I run any risk of losing what its already authorized for? I don't know what provider the programming was purchased through.

The videocypher id is stored in the module. It will work in the 4dtv and you shouldn't loose any programming. But you may need a rehit afterwards.

mkm4 said:
The videocypher id is stored in the module. It will work in the 4dtv and you shouldn't loose any programming. But you may need a rehit afterwards.

mkm4,

Thanks for the info. I'm not really sure what provider the previous owner purchased their programming from. If I purchase analog programming too, will I have any issues if they bought programming from someone other than NPS? I'd hate to lose channels I'm already getting.

Mike

Diamond Jim said:
The 922 is well worth the money, I got mine 2 years ago from Skyvision for the same price.

Check out this NPS link, this is all of the digitals (C and Ku) that they offer right now. There any many more coming before the end of this year.

http://callnps.com/890.htm

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I think that's the absolute digitals package you sent the link on. The current deal is for a free month of that package if I buy the receiver. How has the pricing ran over the last couple years? Sounds like they add programming to the package when it goes digital, does the price increase each time they do so?

Mike

iammike said:
Sounds like they add programming to the package when it goes digital, does the price increase each time they do so?

To be honest Mike, I don't really know. I signed up for it when they had the FOX Sports Networks and nobody told me about the other channels. I thought I was just paying for them. When they dropped the FSNs the price dropped and when they started adding other channels my wife took over paying for it since they added a lot of things she likes. When they had the FSNs it was around $126.00 per 6 months, I think, don't quote me, now it's around that per year.

iammike said:
mkm4,

Thanks for the info. I'm not really sure what provider the previous owner purchased their programming from. If I purchase analog programming too, will I have any issues if they bought programming from someone other than NPS? I'd hate to lose channels I'm already getting.

Mike

You can have as many providers as you want, that is what is great about c-band.
But, you'll need to find out who the previous provider is in case you need to get a rehit for the channels that you are currently getting from them. Once the original subscription expires you can go to anyone else though.

mkm4 said:
You can have as many providers as you want, that is what is great about c-band.
But, you'll need to find out who the previous provider is in case you need to get a rehit for the channels that you are currently getting from them. Once the original subscription expires you can go to anyone else though.

Well you guys convinced me, I bought a 922. Just got it last night and will be installing this weekend. I don't think I have any contact info for the prior owner of the videocipher board in my old analog receiver. Is there a way to determine the provider from the VC set up screen? There's a provider id field, but I'm not sure that's the right field. I'm also wondering if the 922 can be operated without the VC module. My thought process is to leave it in the old receiver to start with and sub to an all digital package on the 922. I can then do some side by side comparisons. I was also thinking the hit for the digitals wouldn't mess up the current programming on the VC board if it wasn't in the 922 at the time. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Please let us know how it goes. I was thinking of doing the same thing...even thought I think I may be getting enough channels...I want to see what digicypher II had to offer in the clear.

Thanks for your input!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)