4DTV Confusion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Natedawg63

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Alabama
Hey guys...

I am still on the search for my free 10'-12' BUD, so I been reading up on 4DTV. I think I read that VC analog stopped in Dec '08... and only DC2 is being used now?

Guess what I need to know is what receiver do I need to get for 4DTV... I know the 922 is the most popular... but I do not need a VC module like before for analog subscription + digital subscription? The 922 is digital and DVB only... so do I even need a analog receiver anymore? Jus a little confused about VC and DC2 programming.

Thanks...
Nate

4DTV HD Programming

I will ask my 2nd question about HD programming listed on lyngsat that shows it has DC2 encryption. Most of the 4DTV HD subscription packages only offer a few HD DC2 channels, but lyngsat shows a WHOLE lot more HD DC2 channels. Are those channels that most NTSC cable providers pull in and put in their programming? No way of getting those on C-band with a DC2 receiver? Need special receiver/decoder to pull those channels in?

When a channel says something like this:
DVB-S2 -
8PSK

MPEG-4/HD
Digicipher 2

The MPEG-4/HD means it is available on a MPEG-4 receiver with a subscription like the HD DVB receivers that have the 8PSK module installed, but also available as a SD channel with a DC2 subscription?

Nate

Nate, the stuff that you see on lyngsat may be the master feeds that the programmers won't sell direct to home users any more. There are some with a certain symbol rate, that the 4DTV receivers can't process, so you couldn't see them anyway. The 4DTV never got going good until the pizza dishes quashed it, Motorola quit making them or providing any upgrades. If I recall, the 922 model was the last they made, and it will get some channels that the earlier 920 model won't pick up, but I couldn't tell you what they are. There is a 4DTV user forum, I forget the name, something like '4dtvrocks' , might find it on google. The NPS site will show what all you can subscribe to, but for HD you'll need that sep decoder, HDD200 to go with the 4DTV box. And there's only a handful of analog, VC2 channels left, I think they cut off the authorization stream to everybody but cable systems for those. Weather channel, espn,espn2,tbs, tnt, cnn and headline news were still transmitting in analog, but you have to watch a re-uplinked version on digital now. callnps.com is NPS link.... & ESPN will NOT sell to 4DTV at all.

These are the only channels that I've seen, so far, that the 920 can't receive because of the lower symbol rate.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Showtime Next West[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GO[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]125[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Showtime Family Zone West
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GO[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]126[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Showtime Women West
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GO[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]127[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Showtime Next East
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C3[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]125[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Showtime Family Zone East
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C3[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]126[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Showtime Women East
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C3[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]127[/FONT]

Hey guys...

I am still on the search for my free 10'-12' BUD, so I been reading up on 4DTV. I think I read that VC analog stopped in Dec '08... and only DC2 is being used now?

Guess what I need to know is what receiver do I need to get for 4DTV... I know the 922 is the most popular... but I do not need a VC module like before for analog subscription + digital subscription? The 922 is digital and DVB only... so do I even need a analog receiver anymore? Jus a little confused about VC and DC2 programming.

Thanks...
Nate

First of all, you say the 922 is "digital and DVB only". The 922 is analog and DCII digital. VC modules allow you to subscribe to analog subscription channels, and that is what stopped in Dec. You can still get ITC analog. The 922 does NOT do DVB at all, only DCII.

I will ask my 2nd question about HD programming listed on lyngsat that shows it has DC2 encryption. Most of the 4DTV HD subscription packages only offer a few HD DC2 channels, but lyngsat shows a WHOLE lot more HD DC2 channels. Are those channels that most NTSC cable providers pull in and put in their programming? No way of getting those on C-band with a DC2 receiver? Need special receiver/decoder to pull those channels in?

When a channel says something like this:
DVB-S2 -
8PSK
MPEG-4/HD
Digicipher 2
The MPEG-4/HD means it is available on a MPEG-4 receiver with a subscription like the HD DVB receivers that have the 8PSK module installed, but also available as a SD channel with a DC2 subscription?

Nate

The 922 will not receive the above, because it is DVB, and actually DVB-S2. The fact that it says Digicipher 2 at the bottom is a little misleading. I *THINK* it's because some DVB transponders include some DCII PIDs, possibly because they were uplinked with a receiver that could do both DCII and DVB perhaps. But basically anytime you see DVB, a 4DTV won't be able to receive it.
Basically, if it doesn't say Digicipher or NTSC, then the 922 won't be able to receive it.

Also, you say "
The MPEG-4/HD means it is available on a MPEG-4 receiver with a subscription like the HD DVB receivers that have the 8PSK module installed, but also available as a SD channel with a DC2 subscription?"

That is misleading too. Your example above indicated DVB-S2 8PSK, which is NOT what the subscription services use. Dishnet uses Turbo 8PSK for MOST of their HD stuff. Receivers like the Coolsat 8000/8100 and Diamond 9000, and Pansat 9000 have a DVB-S2 8PSK capability that is different from the subscription stuff. The HD stuff that is encrypted in DVB S2 can't be subscribed to. You can only view that when it occasionally is sent FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts