4DTV DSR-920 Saved it! New Battery

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
To make a long story short, My 920 was purchased in 1997 when I replaced an old chapparal receiver. I recently upgraded to the 922, since I was becoming concerned that the battery would soon die. I measured the Voltage and it was 3.7V after 8 yrs! NOT BAD....but with Lithium, here today and gone ....you never know.

Well, I took the 920 apart and decided to make the battery swap while it was plugged into AC power (instead of the parallel battery approach).

Keeping myself well insulated and wearing thin gloves and safety goggles, I removed the old battery and soldered in a new one. (I do not advocate what I did because the batteries can blow causing injury). Having been around electronics most of my life, I figured that the battery area was low voltage anyway. There were even extra pads on the board if you wanted to try the parallel approach...nice touch by General Instrments (Now Motorola)

I left it unplugged for about an hour (while I cleaned up the 8 yr accumulation of dust with compressed air)and tried it out...Voila, the Unit ID was intact and it still worked!!! Now I have a spare 4dtv or I may Ebay it....Feels pretty good to have saved the 920 since it still performs well. may try the parallel approach on my old VCII + when its replacement arrives. That unit has the yellow Panasonic 3.0 Volt battery and it measures 3.1V today! (made in 1992!...13 yrs..wow!). Sure made my day!

I really like your idea too. Also how about using a ups during the swap just in case power is interupted for some reason.

Exactly!

I forgot to mention it...I used the 1000VA APC tower UPS from my computer setup...Just in case as you said! In fact the night before we had a VERY nasty fast power dip then spike! APC makes the best units IMHO! Computers never felt a thing!

I am waiting for my refirbed VCII to arrive before I go off to change out its battery....on that one I will have to use the parallel method! Already have the Radioshack 1 AA holder and AA 3.volt (some take a 3.6V) battery + the identical Panasonic 3V that is soldered in. With the VCII I am not as concerned since it is only a matter of time before the analogue stuff is gone...The 920 was a prize, and I am really liking the 922 replacement!

regards
Jeff

I have an old 920 and VC11. To replace both batteries wouldnt I have to replace the VC11 first.(doesnt the VC11 have to be removed to replace the battery in the 920/) Does the VC11 only work on analogue? Please explain. As I also worked in electronics I will go the live route also.
I noticed on a other post that there is a site that has pictures for the battery change out. Please tell me how to find it.
The more I am on this board, I relalize how much I dont know.
Thanks John

Hi John

john dusek said:
I have an old 920 and VC11. To replace both batteries wouldnt I have to replace the VC11 first.(doesnt the VC11 have to be removed to replace the battery in the 920/) Does the VC11 only work on analogue? Please explain. As I also worked in electronics I will go the live route also.
I noticed on a other post that there is a site that has pictures for the battery change out. Please tell me how to find it.
The more I am on this board, I relalize how much I dont know.
Thanks John
There are a couple of threads in the faq and a link to the battery replacement on the VCII. The link is perfect for VCII battery replacement! To me this one was more critical electrically depending on the method used. The 920 was very simple once I got the VCII cage etc out of the way! (left t plugged in but do see the faq plz!
As far as the replacement in the 920 went...kind of made it up as I went! Sorry no Pics, but the correct TORX and some soldering /desoldering skills are helpful. See the FAQ for the thread and my sort of instructions...You can Pri Msg me if you need more info!
I only did it since I had just gotten a 922, and could do no real damage since it was a matter of time! Worked out fine though PROPER PROTECTION IS NEEDED, SINCE OLD LITHIUM CAN BURST!!!!
regards
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)