4DTV on 90cm dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pwrsurge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2007
Canada
Would be cool to find out if HITS on W5 can be received with a 1.5m offset. Reason being is that a lot of people don't have a yard large enough to install a pole mounted prime focus dish. An offset dish of any size can be easily wall mounted on a south facing wall.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
1.5m is a 5 foot dish ;)

I guess you didnt see the couple of posts I made about what happened when I tried it on a 1.2m dish (it didnt work)

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I replaced the Universal LNB with a JSC321S a week or two ago. Read in the forums that using Standard, 10600 with 22K on with this unit was fine.

that LNB is standard so it should be set up as standard 10750 22k off

When you hook up the receiver (either one) does the signal meter (not the quality) jump? If there is a complete connection to the LNB the signal meter will show 80-100 (depending on the unit). If there is not a complete connection it will show like 30. Since you didnt move the dish blind scanning should find SOMETHING especially if the dish is near true south where we have sats at 89,91,93,95 all with programming on it (or at least transponders to register on the meter)

I know your dish is on the roof and with all the snow we had roof jobs are few and far between ;)

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
>When you hook up the receiver (either one) does the signal meter (not the
>quality) jump? If there is a complete connection to the LNB the signal meter

Sorry, just noticed this reply now. Wasn't subscribed to this.
The signal level on the traxis shows 10% only. Though, I can't recall if it did the same on the geo at this point. I checked to see if there is at least some resistance on the coax and there is so I'm a bit stumped at this point.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
its very possible that something blew in the motor connection to the LNB because you mention the motor moves. As long as there is a connection between the receiver and the motor it (the motor) will move. If there is a bad connection between the motor and LNB then it wont scan anything in.

If you could get to the dish what I would do is move it to true south and hook the cable from the receiver directly to the LNB (bypassing the motor)...if it works then its either a bad cable/connection from the motor to the LNB or something in the connections on the motor circuit board.

see attached (crude) drawing

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 98

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
The 4DTV has 2 satellite inputs. One for C-Band and one for Ku-Band. So if you had a 4DTV (not a 410) you would need 2 lines from the LNB to the 4DTV. But this takes me to point 2.
There is nothing on 4DTV anymore on the KU Band side. About 2 years ago there was some. Oklahoma PBS, Georgia PBS and the channels that are now on W5 use to be on X4 (99 West KU Band) so yes you could use a 90cm dish and get KU on the 4DTV.
But the X4 stuff all moved to W5, Oklahoma PBS moved to 125W in DVB-S2 mode and Georgia PBS left satellite.

In the past it was so nice to receive HITS with a 24 inch dish. I have a good collection of Tarzan movies from when AMC would drop their encryption, and at that time AMC did not interupt the movies with commercials. A trick you could do is connect a Ku LNBF to the C band input (as the input freqencies are the same). This allowed me to have my StarChoice and HITS open channels without to much reconfiguring. Too bad HITS is no longer on Ku band.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
I'll have to wait until it warms up a little, then I can test that next.
Big lesson learned yet again, never again a dish on the roof, pole mounted, no other way to go. If I still have that 90CM next summer, it's going on a pole near the other one.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I'll have to wait until it warms up a little, then I can test that next.
oh I know...especially with blizzard "Ella" coming climbing on the roof isnt the best option ;)
(the ABC station up in Duluth WDIO names the big storms like they do hurricanes...Ella is this one) ;)

Big lesson learned yet again, never again a dish on the roof, pole mounted, no other way to go. If I still have that 90CM next summer, it's going on a pole near the other one.
or if on the roof make it easy to get to

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)