Please reply by conversation.

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
Hi all, new to the forum here.
If it sounds stupid... be gentle... ;)
My dad has been wanting to ditch the pizza pan and get his BUD up to digital 'snuff' so I've been hammering on it for a month of weekends now.
Location is Memphis, TN area. The dish is a 7.5' mesh.
We changed out the old feedhorn with a corotor II C/Ku.
I've tuned it across the range from 91 thru 127deg and am getting good signal quality (at least I think...) For the most part, the signal runs between 80-90 and quality is in the 60-80 range (this is general across the board.)
Well... when he ordered the 922, I guess I should have checked first (yeah, I know) but according to the manual I downloaded, I would need a clear shot for G0 for the downloads (which I took to mean G10 @ 123deg)... Well, all the planets were aligned until I saw the 'Read me first' page that came included with the receiver that pointed me to G1... at 133... <sigh>...
Problem is, I'm getting a partial obstruction at that point... it's just hitting on some tree tops.
Now, I'm getting a decent signal (70-80) on the clear analogs there (trs5,11,12,17)... and on tr13 I'm getting quality just a bit above 40. Same deal on 150 up to 166.
Problem is tr3. I get crap... Signal is less than 50 and quality stays at 1.
So now my questions...
Is it normal for tr3 to be weaker than 13 on G1?
I've been reading where folks have had success with a small dish... Could I focus a small dish (from the roof) on G1 for the downloads and switch between the two dishes?
What's the general concensus on this?

A smaller dish probably won't help for G1. People are using smaller dishes to get KU band on X4 with 4DTV. Is relocating the dish to a better location an option? I would try to peak the dish on G1-TP3. Now that the leaves are dropping perhaps you can get enough of a DC2 lock to download the maps at least. However, the guide will be an ongoing problem unless you can tune TP3.

You can get the maps on a few satellites not just G-15 (G1) you can try G5 and I think I read even G-11 (GB) I think even AMC-10 and 11 have maps, the only thing G1 has thats the other sats don't is the guide.

G0 had the maps I am not sure if they still have it on the Showtime mux, G0-5 you can try, you can turn the 922 off for half hour, maybe NPS knows where the maps are.

Ok...I'm all new to the 4D and still trying to figure it all out... (I'm still analog brained I guess...)
The channel count is currently up to 4702 - I know what the guide is, but what are the maps?
When I call for activation, what exactly is going to be downladed?
They tell me I must have a DC on G1 - 3 before I can activate (oh - this is from Skyvision)
We have considered moving the dish but that will obstruct the eastern birds...
Somewhat at my wits end with this...
Is it just THAT hard to get G1 - 3 to DC?
I've seen some complaints around about the guide not updating...

If all else fails, you can take the receiver to another C-Band dish, if you know someone who has one, and download the Maps? I've read people on here getting them from GB (G11) channel 24, you could give it a try? As far as where to go for the Activation, you will need to work that out with your Provider? Good Luck!

Al

Wait a minute, if you can see the digitals this means you have the maps, if you want programming call them go to G5-100 and order, press options 6-5 and look at your trip counter, if they say to go to G1-3 say you are there, you should get the hit, before you call you press options 6-7-7-8 then hit 0, hit 0 two or three times, then exit and do it all again this is a authorization reset and should help if you are not getting hits.

Yes if his channel count is at 4702 he should have the maps. He needs to go to the menu screen and add the satellites he want's at this point. Options 6,4,4 on my 920.

Ok... This is where I'm losing it...
If I'm on G5-100 and have a good DC lock they can activate?
I called Tech Support and they told me I could use one of the other transponders where I had a DC lock, but when I talk to the woman for the programming she basically tells me that Tech Support doesn't know Jack about activation and if I can't DC on G1-3 I'm out of luck...
Also, I can't actually 'see' any digital channels. I can access them but it just says 'channel not found' or whatever. If I jump to Options 6,4,4 and hit the satellite I can see the signal and quality I'm getting (which looks to be great for the most part.) I can also get audio in the 900s.
Analog stuff is working beautifully. Dad was already subscribed to TNT (analog) and I swapped out the VC on his old receiver and it's coming in better than it ever has (dish was bad out of focus, plus I think the new LNBs helped alot.)

Get a second opinion from NPS or ask to speak to a manager from Skyvision. Maybe the CSR you talked to is new and was told to only do authorization's on G1 3. Also If I was you I would keep trying to get a lock on G1 3 anyways. The 4DTV is so much better with a guide.:)

Ok... I'll roll with that.
In the meantime... will adding a second dish dedicated for G1 work? I'm assuming it would have to have a manual switch.
I've toyed with the Dish Network switches but I'm guessing nothing like that works with the 922.
What would be the minimum dish size I could go with for G1?

Probably a 6'-8' dish, you seem to need digital authorization this is why your channels do not display the subscription info, did you call and ask them for authorization while on G5-100 cliaming to be on G1-3? it should work as my friend got his 922 authorized on G5 a few months ago and they gave him the same BS over the phone, unless something has changed it should work fine.

After digital authorization they can activate your subscription programming.

On G1-3 have you bumped the dish and played with the skew? you can have someone push slightly down on the dish outside and see if you get a lock, if not try pushing up, if this works your dish needs alignment.

I guess it would have to be a manual switch too. But why have a second dish just for G1. It makes no sense. Get one well tuned dish to track the entire arc and the 4DTV will operate as intended.:) I'm gonna say 8.5 ft. minimum should do the trick if your located in North America. I have a 10ft. with no problems. But the experts say 8.5 ft. is the minimum to not get any adjacent satellite interference. I'll also mention that I had a 6ft. up at one time that would lock G1 3 fine. But it sucked on half the HBO's. And even then if the wind blew a little to hard or bird flew over the picture would pixelate on those other half of HBO's it could receive.:D By the way if anybody wants the 6ft. winegard for free and will pick up in Mesa,AZ. Send me a P.M

Haven't tried calling them back yet. It'll probably be tomorrow (I've been working on this thing on the weekends and he's a half hour away.)
Really can't get the full arc with a single. Wherever the dish is put we'll lose.
The G1 issue really is probably the treetops. I've tweaked it as far as I can take it - to get any better it'll have to grow about 4 feet! :)
It was placed in its current position back when Dad had subscriptions to all the analogs. The only one he griped about was sci-fi becase it was on one of the western birds, but he lived with it.
When everything started going digital he went against his own grain and called DishNetwork (and boy how he hates it...)
I thought of putting a mid-size dish (maybe a 6 footer, it seems) on the house and fix it on G1 just for the download and guides. Even if it was manual, Dad could just remember to move it to G1 and flip the switch before going to bed.
I've got Dish myself (the Dual-Tuner DVR version) and I like it ok, but I'm ready to build my own little sat farm (I have a full, unobstructed view of the southern sky)
I'll have Dad call them tomorrow and I'll tell him to try using G5 no matter what they tell him.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks all for the info. Y'all are great!

another way is when you get ready to do your system. is there is now a ku only (1 satellite) deal from skyvision and a few others. It uses the 410 receiver & it might be a better option for your dad's situation. not pushing you to that but its worth reading up on.
several threads here plus i think they are giving one away at the christmas party
don't know all the details on that but its at the main page :)

Ok, no update as of yet. But, one thing that struck me last night as I was driving home (and I'm really going to show my ignorance on this) when you were talking about Ku only...
Can I activate, download, and get the guide with just Ku?
I haven't even attempted to start tweaking the Ku yet.

I was under the impression that Ku was going to be harder to tune than C.
If folks are using small dishes for Ku-only installs, then the opposite seems to be true...

What's the take on this?

No maps or guide on ku, did you get a chance to try it on G5-100 for digital authorization? I called my friend to make sure it was G5 he did it on he said yes, he can't get G1 because of trees just like me, he told me they tried G0 and it did not work but it worked on G5, this was about a year ago.

Ok, so no guide with Ku only then...
Oh well.
Dad is away for the next couple of days so i won't be able to get back over there until tomorrow night or Saturday.
I will update as soon as I know something.

Ok, programming done. Set it to G5-100 and when they said G1-3, just said OK... worked like a charm.
C-band is receiving with 90+ quality for the most part.
Appears the dish is off a bit. Further east we go, worse it gets.
Believe the pole is off=level somewhat.
Hooked Ku up tonight, but mostly weak signals. Guess I still have some focusing to do there...
Thanks all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts