4DTV Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

taelon721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 30, 2006
Could someone please post a list of 4DTV receiver models, including the old ones? I am off to do a project... and haven't even completed the last one.

Using it to pick up FTA only, surely there are older models that I can get cheap on the auctions, right?

Thanks....

Only 3 that I know of, that were sold in USA. The 920, and a bit later on , the 922. The first thing was called a 905 Digital Sidecar, was made to be used in conjunction with an existing c-band receiver (it only tunes the digital channels, where the other two models had both digital and analog tuners built-in)

I don't know about cheap but they are all good, the 922 is the best of the bunch IMHO.

I think you would be better off with a new FTA receiver as to buying a used 4DTV.

I don't know about cheap but they are all good, the 922 is the best of the bunch IMHO.

I think you would be better off with a new FTA receiver as to buying a used 4DTV.

I already have a Pansat 2700 and Coolsat 5000. I love them both. Bought the 2700 first, then found out that CS5000 was suppose to be really good at blindscanning, so bought it. Also, got an old Analog receiver to slave. If I can pick up one channel, feed, or whatever, it is worth it, if not expensive. The world of FTA is the Undiscovered Country to me. The thrill of seeing something that my friends with Dish, DirectTV, and cable can't see is what I go for.

And I am doing my best to get others around me to catch the FTA bug. Most channels on the major satellite providers you can't get on FTA, but it works the other way too. :D

A 922 would be good but many free channels will not come in unless you have a sub, even the smallest digital sub will bring in more channels, NPS and SRL have some small packages and a la cartes that would make it more worth the investment.

Oh and the fact that many times a mux of sub channels come in free for a few days is pretty cool.

Just for clarificatuion, the 905 sidecar will tune C and Ku as will the 920 and 922. 905 is DC II digital only as stated. They 922 will display more channels than a 920 in theory because it can support more symbol rates. Also, the 922 has a newer GUI. The 905 has one advantage that is can be prevented from downloading content from Candian satellites using business (?) mode. All can be slaved off an FTA receiver. 920s are the oldest and many are getting to the point that they need thier internal battery changed. 922s display all video on the s-video out port, 920s only display digital video on the s-video out port and analog on the composite out. 905 only has composite out. There is a 4DTV site that maintains all the details, something like 4DTV Forum. Cheers...

The 905 has one advantage that is can be prevented from downloading content from Candian satellites using business (?) mode. All can be slaved off an FTA receiver.

Is that where, when you run across a specific satellite, it starts downloading channels and transponder info, and wastes space on your box, till you have to start it back from scratch?

There is a 4DTV site that maintains all the details, something like 4DTV Forum. Cheers...

Do you know if they have an area to talk about the In The Clear stuff using 4DTV receivers?

Thanks.....

With regard to the 905, its one mode disables downloads from the StarChoice satellites so you can still watch the "free" channels without downloading the Candian software that alledgedly can harm US receivers.

Also, they cover some aspects of receiving "in the clear" signals in an "owners only" area. You must registrer and have a receiver, and additional forums become available to you. They also used to (not sure they still do) support some third party software for 905s and 920s that allowed you to manually modfiy channel maps with you PC to be able to better program in some of the "in the clear" signals. They were not supporting pirating in any way but the topic still seemed a bit controversial though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)