4dtv Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lakegazers

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
California
Is ther any 4DTV receivers that have a component video out od HDMI video output?
I am not happy with the single composite output of my DSR 905 sidecar. The picture is good but I know it could be better.

Will the HDD convert the NTSC to hd or will I only see HD transmissions off the bird? Are ther any HD feeds?
I am very pleased with the 905 accept I have to steer the bud dish with a motek box.( A little confusing for the wife),
I have a Fortec Star Mercury ll , the DSR 905 sidecar, a steerable ku band dish ( fortec) and the steerabl bus ( a sammy 7.5)

I don't have a 905, so bare with me? On a 922 or 920 there is a plug on the back that looks like an RS232 port, but it will say MAPP ONLY and DATA PORT above and below it. This port will connect to the HDD200 with a cable the has the appropriate connector for the DATA PORT on one end and a connector that looks like an Audio Mini Jack on the other end. This will Pass the Digital signal from the 905 to the HDD200 and it will have Component Outputs to go to your HDTV. The SD channels will be upconverted this way. You can also go into the HDD200 Menu and change the Output to 480 if you like (I think), or you could also use the Menu's to change the Video Format from the Output (16:9/4:3). Hope this helps...!

Al

When I watch the Denver Dig Networks ( subscription) the graphics like the score on the feed are barely ledgible they are so blurry. I am wondering if this HDD unit will help the picture quality. I have off air hd as the 47 inch plasma has a atsc tuner in it. The HD off air is an incredible picture.

I have Showtime HD west, HBO HD east & west, Starz HD east & west with a subscription, and the picture is Outstanding! It's also a Perfect picture on NETV HD...
I would think the upconversion would make it slightly better, it seems to with mine? But, I don't subscribe to the Denver Networks, so I don't actually know? However, I'm sure it should?

Al

I also have a DishNet subscription for the 100 package, mostly for the HD available in it ($20 HD). Anyway, the SD through the 4dtv HDD200 blows away the DishNet SD, even though it is also upconverted with the 622 receiver. At least through my eyes!

Al

I presently have dish network . Way too much money compared to what I get through SRL. with my sidecar. I am in the process of switching over. It is a savings of about 50 bucks a month. The real off air HD from my locals, (not so local as I am in the foothills 80 miles away) is an awsome picture. Blows dish hd away, but is not always a constant signal due to muy location and elevation of 1300 ft. The towers in walnut grove are 1500 and 2000.
I am in hopes when all is said and done with the HDTV conversion the hd feeds for the denver networks will be in HD.
This HDD 200 will certainly help then.
Love the FTA and 905 sidecar. Should have done this years ago.
I am a broadcast engineer and have had it at our small etwork for quite sometime, but when I moved to the foothills dish at first, and now the FTA and sidecar is the way to go.
I really appreciate all the advise I have got on this forum, thank you all.

I don't expect any more HD available through the Digicipher II programming, than is already there? Besides the above mentioned HD channels, you can also subscribe to Discovery HD Theater and Wealth TV HD. I'm not looking for the Denver Networks in HD to become available with a 4dtv subscription.
You mention FTA, you can get CBS HD, CW HD, ABC HD, MyTV HD, and PBS HD reliably with an HD DVB receiver with an 8' or larger dish.

Al

Are you talking with my Fortec Mercury Star ll or with my 4DTV 905 sidecar. I looked for the network feeds and couldn't locate any. What birds might they be on?
Lyngsta doesn't seem to list the hd feeds. That would be great, It's really all I am lacking on the satellite side. I have the big dish "C" Band feeding both receivers.

The Fortec Mercury or the 4dtv won't get any HD Network feeds. There are some DVB receivers that will get the HD Network feeds, but you will need an 8' dish to get them as they are on C-Band. The PBS HD feed is on ku-Band and you could get it with a 30" dish, but you will have to get a DVB reveiver that does HD or a Computer Card for Satellite or a USB device for Satellite.

Al

Lyngsat does list them, but they are feeds and are listed in a Gray color, which means feeds. They are on G4/G16 and T6/IA6/G26, and it just says feeds and nothing about HD. If you have ever scanned the C-Band side of either sat, you probably scanned it in. But, you only get a black/blank screen. If you had an HD DVB receiver, you would get a picture.

Al

OK So if I understand things correctly the HDD 200 will get me those HD feeds?
and
Thanks again for all the help.
pjohnson

No, the HDD200 will get Digicipher 2 feeds, your Mercury 2 gets DVB feeds, but the Mercury doesn't get a picture on the HD feeds. The Network feeds are DVB signals and the 905 gets Digicipher 2 signals. The HDD200 will work with the 905 to get Digicipher 2 HD feeds, but it will not work with the Mercury 2 to get DVB feeds.

Al

In the C-Band Facts Area you can find this on page 2 #21:

2.2. What is the difference between DVB and DCII?
Where DVB and DCII are really different is in how the channel definitions
get into the receiver. DCII was designed before the DVB standard was
ratified and General Instrument (now a part of Motorola) designed their
own scheme without any interfacing to the work being done by the DVB team.

For detailed information on Digicipher II and MPEG DVB see:
North American MPEG-2 Information

It explains the difference better than I can?

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts