Please reply by conversation.

Lak7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Near Chicago, Illinois
My 4DTV Remote stopped working.
Clicked Guide, found what I was looking for, hit exit - nothing, not even the 4 "Device" lights work. Changed the batteries, nothing.
Sound familiar to anyone?

Did you try the 4dtv button on the remote?
As in the SAT Button that should light up? Yes, but none of the buttons that should light when pressed, actually light.
Neither the IR nor UHF responds.
Ebay I go.

As in the SAT Button that should light up? Yes, but none of the buttons that should light when pressed, actually light.
Neither the IR nor UHF responds.
Ebay I go.

There may be a loose connection on the board there's not much to remotes. I would take it apart and wiggle around the parts that you can and see what happens. I would also re sweat any connections that may seem suspect CSJ's (cold solder joints) are a normal thing in the electronics industry.

............I would also re sweat any..........
LOL.
Doing that now while searching for a replacement..

There is a Capacitor there, don't they dry out over time.
IC Chip has 1999 on it.

LOL.
Doing that now while searching for a replacement..

There is a Capacitor there, don't they dry out over time.
IC Chip has 1999 on it.

Electrolytic s do, Mostly a remote in an IC chip a resonator couple drive transistors and an IR LED. The Uhf's usually have a small transmitter section also. Since its not sending pulses from what you describe. I would try re soldering the connections going to the IC and any connections to any transistors.

I glad nobody jumped in and said " NO!, Don't reheat it, you'll ruin it for sure!"

Thanks!
Working better than ever.

:)

Bad solder is VERY common in remote controls. I used to fix a lot of them. They also need periodic cleaning. Some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean the contacts on the circuit board as well as the ones on the rubber keypad. Even if you don't eat or drink around your remote oils from your hands/fingers will work their way in there.

The capacitors in remote controls almost never seem to go bad, probably because they are rated for a good deal more voltage than the 3-6 volts most remotes have. They fail in receivers and TVs etc. because they are in more demanding circuits.

Bad solder is VERY common in remote controls. I used to fix a lot of them. They also need periodic cleaning. Some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean the contacts on the circuit board as well as the ones on the rubber keypad. Even if you don't eat or drink around your remote oils from your hands/fingers will work their way in there.

Its best not to use rubbing alcohol on the rubber keypad, it deteriorates the very thin layer of conductive paint, it's okay on the PCB. Take the rubber keypad and soak it in some warm water and wipe it down. Make sure it's dry before putting it back in. I used to use alcohol and it takes its toll on the conductive paint.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts