4DTV 's value appreciating

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
....Skyvision has asked me to announce to this group and others than they are now in the market to purchase used DSR-920 and DSR-922 receivers in working condition... ...They will offer 100.00 for a used DSR-922, and 50.00 for a used DSR-920.
...Hmmm. Makes me wonder how much they've got in those DSR-410's that they're selling at $130 a pop? :confused:

They may not be making much money at all from those receivers if any. I bet they are shooting for the profit from the subscription fees. Just like the pizza dish companies - they eat the cost of the equipment up front but make it up in a few months of subscriptions. Long term customers net them the most profits.

I will be the new HD receivers used by the cable companies and pizza dish companies are not cheap even for them to buy in quantity with the higher performance cpu's required to process HD programming.

You have to wonder if anyone at Skyvisions has looks at Ebay and the prices that both receivers are going for.....not offering very fair prices.

Doesn't anyone understand the concept of a full service company?
It cannot be compared to EBay, where things are bought and sold for pennies on the dollar, with lots of risk on both sides.

Skyvision has to be able to refurbish these receivers as well as offer some sort of limited warranty (90 days has been discussed) for the new purchasers of this hardware. And those new purchasers will want a price that does not approach full retail, despite the reality that new units are rarer than hen's teeth.

In between is the concept that there are costs of doing business and making a fair profit....on a product that the company is expected to back for at least a limited time after the sale.

This offer is meant to provide an easy avenue for those with equipment that is not presently being used to sell it and at least get something for their money. Please try to not compare the economics of EBay with brick and mortar businesses.

Absolutely, You can't compare ebay (yardsale business) to a full service company.

I have often wondered about the future of digicipher 2 since so many programmers seem to be going with PowerVu. I don't know from a price perspective for uplinkers but I would bet that powerVu may be cheaper to buy and maintain than Moto gear.

Also MPEG-2 DVB which is a world standard vs Digipher 2 which is a basterdized version of mpeg 2 and not compatible with anything else.

If someone with bucks like Skyvision SRL or NPS would invest in trying to get the new Starchoice receivers modified to do c band and sell them they would be sitting on a potential goldmine. Even if they just did all the HITS channels including the megapipes & HD's they would have one sweet system. Nobody wants to commit though because they could loose there shirts, so we are where we are.
If it's no more complicated than 'flipping' the DSR-410's like was done, should be do-able from a HW perspective. I could be wrong but high side or low side injection is irrelevant for digital signals AFAIK. EDIT - Now the proprietary FW, that's a whole 'nother subject. Without Big M's blessings and support it's likely a moot point.
mikekohl said:
Skyvision and others have tried to negotiate with Motorola, in order to revive the production of DSR-922 receivers, or some other solution that might allow a similar unit to be made under license by another company. No bending at Motorola, so that idea is simply not going to happenin the near future!
Mike are you saying that the DSR 'stock' is a finite amount? I think it has always been presumed they would tool up and make another run as tvropro put it when demand was high enough to support the over inflated price they get for them. Do you have an inside source on the subject?

There is ample inventory of DSR-410 units available (all previously owned).
At 129.95 plus shipping, I encourage anyone that is interested in C-band subscription programming to consider Skyvision's non-motorized solution that only requires a six-foot or larger antenna and a C-band LNBF, with the DSR-410.

The stock of DSR-922 receivers is a serious problem, caused by Motorola's lack of will to build more product. If you have followed the headlines about the company in recent months, nothing good has been coming out of Chicago. Lots of permanent layoffs, and it would appear that their sole focus is on the cell phone division. Do not expect a new run of DSR-922 receivers anytime soon. Pray that they might find enough used ones to refurbish and put shipments back in the hands of vendors such as Skyvision to sell...but that is definitely a finite market!

If Motorola wanted to seriously market this product, they would be acting differently. The best people in the 4DTV division were unceremoniously let go several years ago. Perhaps they might consider selling this and other divisions---but history has found them asking too much for things in the past, which scares away potential buyers. In the meantime, drastic solutions are needed to prop up the consumer market, and that includes independent recycling of older units that have been tested and determined operational.

Motorola should sell the rights to build DCII's to some other company. What about Starchoice they are getting product from Motorola currently I think. I still say a system using the *choice new receivers would be sweet.

I was thinking about buying a 4dtv receiver, but I am too concerned about broadcasters changing the way they scramble content. DigiCipher 2 was introduced in 1995, right? That's like 13 years ago. I would not want to find out a year later after buying a 4dtv receiver that programmers are moving away from DCII to a new scrambling system which would make my 4dtv receiver worthless.

I think I will stick with free-to-air for now, but it would sure be nice to have paid channels direct from the programmers.

I was thinking about buying a 4dtv receiver, but I am too concerned about broadcasters changing the way they scramble content. DigiCipher 2 was introduced in 1995, right? That's like 13 years ago. I would not want to find out a year later after buying a 4dtv receiver that programmers are moving away from DCII to a new scrambling system which would make my 4dtv receiver worthless.

I think I will stick with free-to-air for now, but it would sure be nice to have paid channels direct from the programmers.

By not having a 4d your missing out on quite a bit currently. The 4d's programming will be a round a while. I don't foresee any more subscription type receivers for c band unless someone comes up with some angle that works. Its a shame the evil dish and direct stole all the glory and numbers that kept the c band programming industry strong. But since the numbers aren't there like there once were no one wants to deal with us anymore. Damn the day I ever buy dish or direct for what they did to c band. :mad:

The pizza dish companies launched a full-out attack on c-band years ago with tons of lies and media brain washing. It worked quite well if you asked me. How do you think we can go around all of our neighborhoods and get all those free BUDs?

The even went knocking door to door pushing their pizza pans on people who were not looking to change.

Offering up "free" systems and "free" installations-Ha.......Nothing in life is "FREE".

They had an agenda and it has been fullfilled.
If commercial users didn't need digicipher equipment we would have been out of business a long time ago.

A lot of commercial companies like Ford Motor Co and some investment firms use DSR-922's connected to fixed KU 1.2M dishes for their video conferencing systems.

Not really a good reason not to get a 4dtv, should have got one a while ago, that would be like saying why get a dvb-2 mgeg-2 since many programmers will start using dvb-S2 and mpeg-4, grab a used 4d enjoy it while it lasts as nothing is forever.

The even went knocking door to door pushing their pizza pans on people who were not looking to change.

There lucky they never came knocking on my door. I would have sent them out of here with a few broken limbs :mad: Maybe I'd hit them with an old actuator :D

Not really a good reason not to get a 4dtv, should have got one a while ago, that would be like saying why get a dvb-2 mgeg-2 since many programmers will start using dvb-S2 and mpeg-4, grab a used 4d enjoy it while it lasts as nothing is forever.

I totally agree by waiting your depriving yourself of some great programming.

I would certainly hope that Skyvision would at least replace the batteries in the DSR920 receivers. I suspect they did not in the DSR410s they market.

Too bad they couldn't recycle the DSR921s from Starchoice or some other Motorola box that's out there to increase the availability.

I'm glad I got my new 922s while they were still being produced. Even though my first failed on the 3rd month anniversary and took forever to receive another new one back in January.

I wonder what Skyvisions reconditioning consists of? A bit of fantastic to the case or what? They should replace the batteries in ALL the receivers before reselling them. As far as using 921's aren't they just like 920's but for use in Canada?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts