4DTV signal survey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Could the 4DTV subscribers in this section of the forum post the following?

1. Satellite name
2. Digital channel
3. Dish size, mesh or solid?
4. LNB/LNBF temp, drift and brand.
5. State you are located.
6. 4DTV SIGNAL QUALITY NUMBERS:hatsoff:

That's a lot to ask of us. Here's my quick answer, as it would take more than I'm willing to do to answer most of this, because of the time consumed to do it.

1. There are 8 satellites that I recieve subscription signals on, C4/AMC10 - G1 - C3/AMC11 - G9/G13 - G5/G12 - G10 - X4 - GB/G11.
There are other sats I can get non-subscribed channels on.
2. I'm not willing to go through all the channels and list them.
3.1 mesh 10', 1 fiberglass 10'
4.I'm not willing to get on a ladder and get this info.
5.Georgia Republic
6.I'm not willing to go through the channels and get this info, but it's great for me. The only problems are with extremely stronge winds.

Al

I just got set up with 4dtv so I'd kind of like to see what other folk's numbers look like too. I'll put a few sats down now and will update with more when I get a chance.

Mike

Dish: salvaged spun aluminum between 7.5 and 8 feet
LNBF's: http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/hypercart/PictureFrame.asp?Sku=cbandcombo1&categoryID=70
State: Virginia
Receiver: 922

GB - 602 Hallmark quality 72
X4 - 600 ToonDisney quality 68
X4 - 630 HGTV quality 62
X4 - 620 NGC quality 69
G5 - 100 Starzw quality 84
G9 - 118 HBOhdE quality 77
G9 - 122 Starz HD quality 76
G1 - 100 HBO quality 60
G1 - 112 HBOcmE quality 51
C4 - 400 ESPNC quality 99
C4 - 600 Disc HD quality 74

truckracer said:
Could the 4DTV subscribers in this section of the forum post the following?
1. Satellite name
2. Digital channel
3. Dish size, mesh or solid?
4. LNB/LNBF temp, drift and brand.
5. State you are located.
6. 4DTV SIGNAL QUALITY NUMBERS:hatsoff:
1) Basic chart :
http://www.callnps.com/chart.htm
2) Call nps and ask them to mail you a c band sales flyer it has a chart with all the 4dtv channel #'s and which sats the different channels are on listed.
3) 10' mesh sami dish
http://www.samidish.com/
4) c band Eagle Aspen - 17 deg. lnb
ku band Eagle Aspen - .06 db lnb
I would like to upgrade to Norsats when I can get up the money but the Eagle Aspens have been working fine for me.
5) NY
6) 4dtv signal .... hmmm ..... any signal quality above 1 might get you a good picture and then again some channels with higher quality #'s might be pixelated. I would say an average quality reading would be about 50 - 60 but my dish needs some more fine adjustment

thanks guys

Thanks for the observation reports. I thought this would give the 4dtv users some idea about the condition of tune for their equipment. I will assume that all 4dtv receivers have nearly the same tuner and signal readouts, they may not.

It looks as if my 7.5' sami mesh is performing well from the above post.

Since we all need the G1 satellite for our IPG, let us concentrate on the G1 quality report.

I think that would give all of us a good baseline.

Thanks for your input-Trucker:hatsoff:

There is a difference in the quality numbers between a 920 and 922. With all else being equal, you will get a higher quality number on a 922 than a 920.

Receiver: DSR 922
Channels:
G1 100 - 72
G1 112 - 70

Dish: 10' Winegard Pinnacle

LNB: C band - 15 Deg Norsat

State: IL

I have a 922 and a 7 1/2 foot KTI mesh dish in California.
Quality G1R-100 = 60
Quality G1R-112 = 61
It will be interesting to see if there is any change when Galaxy 1R is replaced by Galaxy 15.

photoman76 said:
It will be interesting to see if there is any change when Galaxy 1R is replaced by Galaxy 15.

Like you, I'm anxious to see if the HBO's improve although I'm not holding my breath. My understanding is HBO is the problem and not the satellite, on Starz channels such as 150 I have quality reading of 95.

Another member was explaining the HBO signal strength to me the other day. If I understood correctly, the reason for the lower signal strength is the higher FEC, 7/8, that HBO uses. I think if they used a lower number, like the 2/3 Dish uses on their HD channels, then the signal strength would probably be a lot higher on HBO.

From a purely speculation standpoint, I wonder if HBO might be on a weaker transponder than Starz. Starz is using an FEC of 3/4, but I don't know if that's enough of a difference to explain the signal strength difference or not. Incidentally, how does the Starz picture look in comparison to HBO?

iammike said:
Incidentally, how does the Starz picture look in comparison to HBO?

Hello iammike,
Picture quality for Starz & HBO is comparable. Problems with dish alignment, lnb, etc. will show up on HBO in the form of tiling before it will on Starz or any other channel.

P.S. Read somewhere, but can't remember where, Galaxy 15 arrived to its position around Dec 5 and they were expecting it to go into operation two weeks later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)