4dtv sound dropouts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amvan123

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2014
CA
Anyone have trouble with sound on TCM? I have GI 4dtv receiver and have 10 channels from skylink. I have just installed it a month or so ago. I have trouble on TCM with the sound dropping out almost exactly every 41 seconds. The outage is only for a split second but is irritating. It is not the tv as it does it on all 3 tv’s. None of the other channels seem to have this problem. Signal is 88 and quality is 99.

I've seen no problems with the
TCM channel at all. Watched an old John
Wayne movie the other night and it was fine. Not sure where your located, not seen your provider name before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SatelliteGuys

hey fat air, thanks for answer. I seems to only do it on TCM. Once in a while i get break on there stations but not consitant. I timed it again and it is right at 38 seconds. I checked 7 rounds, all between 38.2 and 38.9. Could it be i have too strong of a signal coming in?

I'm using a 10 foot dish to receive my pick 10 programming so I can't see that being your problem. What type dish and setup do you have?

I posted something about this several years ago when I was still using my 4DTV equipment. I tried to search for it without any luck.

I remember a occasional audio pop or click sound and I think TCM and History had it the most. The only time I noticed it was using the Motorola receivers. I was convinced it was on their end at the time.

Isn't there an issue with one of the versions of firmware for the 4DTVs that would cause this? I can't remember exactly now, but I seem to remember that it was an issue I read about when I looked into the 4DTVs a couple of years ago. Something about either downgrading the version or upgrading it. Does anyone remember that?

I don't sub my 4DTV anymore, sorry I can't help further.

sgs

Thanks sergei, sgs, and Corrado,
I have a 10 foot mesh dish with chaparral feed horn. The receiver is General Instruments 4dtv, there is no 920 or 922 on it, just says model 4dtv. My 10 channels are: h2, history, tmc, sifi, cloo, chiller, g4, ngc, bio, fxm. I do not have problem on any of these except tcm so far. What it sounds like is when the edit movies and blank out words they think are offensive, which I found irritating on movies also. If there was an update I would think it is no longer available. If it is does anyone know how to do it.

Look on the back,if it has an S-VHS jack,it's a 922,if it doesn't,a 920.
Any "upgrading" is pretty much a do it yourself operation anymore,using the MapMaster program.

If I've read the Comcast lineup correctly all the channels you have with the exception of TCM are vertical. TCM is horizontal. You said your using a Chaparral feed assembly which depending on the type is most likely using a Servo Motor if its a single unit, which I'm betting is your problem. Long time ago I switch out to a dual unit which doesn't use the motor. I've not had any sound issues with any of my 4 receivers which are GI 4dtv (920). So I'd look really hard at the motor if you have one.

Thanks for your reply sergei,
I think you are wrong about the channels. I do not think the channels have anything to do with comcast. Here is a list of the channels and there transponders and polarities from lyngsat:
tp pol chn
bio 1 v 201
cloo 1 v 214
chiller 10 h 327
hist-e 10 h 258
tcm 18 h 245
g4 21 v 263
si-fi 23 v 211
ngc 24 h 294
fxm 21 v 240
H2 1 v 259

If i am wrong someone please correct me.
thanks

Those channels have everything to do with comcast,H2H,Hits to Home,is part of comcast's satellite distribution to local cablecos.They were just nice enough to let the 4dtv crowd to still receive them.
damn,MM beat me to it :D

I did mess up on a couple channels between H and V , but you only have the TCM channel and that's on the the listing for the QC1 AMC 18 C18 L-band 1090 H. That also has BBC America and IFC which I also watch.
I'm still thinking the motor has issues and cannot lock onto the correct frequency or drifts and just keeps retrying. To check just switch another channel to IFC or Science and see what happens.
http://www.comcastmediacenter.com/cmc-hits/programming-lineup.aspx

Thanks for the info. I did notice that tcm was the only channel i get on trans 18. So you think that the polarity is drifting on that channel and then resetting? If i disconnect the 5 volts or the pulse going to the rotor should that eliminate the drop outs? Would that show in the polarity adjustment screen for that channel? I notice no change in the picture during this time. unfortunatly i have no other channels on that transponder. thanks a lot, i do appreciate all your help.

If the problem was frequency drift or servo related, the video would also be affected.

Whether it’s still the same with carrier frequencies since everything going digital and satellites transmissions. I’m not sure,but it used to be a broadcast channel had both

a picture carrier and the sound carrier on either end of a broadcast channel, maybe the servo is just a hair off on that TP. Sort of a wild guess, but his problem also seems odd.

Thanks for the info. I did notice that tcm was the only channel i get on trans 18. So you think that the polarity is drifting on that channel and then resetting? If i disconnect the 5 volts or the pulse going to the rotor should that eliminate the drop outs? Would that show in the polarity adjustment screen for that channel? I notice no change in the picture during this time. unfortunatly i have no other channels on that transponder. thanks a lot, i do appreciate all your help.

I've never had much luck in trying to fix or even trouble shooting the servo motor, I either replaced them or just replaced the single LNB with a LNBF.
Came across something last night in some old papers about hidden menu that might help, have no ideal if it still will work. key in: Options
That will get you to the Diagnostics Window which has a Manually Tune Frequency, hitting that you will see the option to "Tune", hitting that and it goes to tuning and back, whether it does anything anymore who knows. My display shows a frequency 1090.000 for TCM. I lose the picture and have to back out and change channel to get the picture back, but that just maybe my setup.
Also is your receiver at version 6D or something else?
Something else ..do you still have the Videocipher module installed?

Last edited:
thanks sergei,
I have used the 6778 to originally set the thing up. I do now know if i have a 6d or not, I do believe the poloroter is working properly now. I have unhook the polorotor after putting on the TCM channel and it still pops off at 40 seconds. My other stations seem to work normally except occasionally the picture will freeze and sound continues. I just change stations and return and picture will be normal. I have removed the vcII.

Think I'd pop the cover off and check capacitors for bulging/ leaks/ whatever may signal a defect. Even put a finger to 'em to feel for a warm one. But that should affect all channels. But you do say other channels the video freezes occasionally. So think it wouldn't hurt to look.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)