4DTV vs. FTA vs..........

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
I have spent the last 15 or so years of my life involved in the satellite hobby with C-band and numerous consumer systems (star choice, express-vu etc. in canada) and I'm interested in putting together some sort of system to reap the benefits of c-band, ku and some sort of digital add on.
Now I understand that I'll need to upgrade a lot of my equipment but maybe I should start with a list of what I currently have.

-6' mesh C-band dish with polar mount
-1m (3foot) Ku Band dish (star choice)which I can adapt to a polar mount
-Chaparral Corotor II Feedhorn with C-band and Ku capabilities although I'm sure the LNBs will have to be upgraded for digital use
- A few assorted old C-band receivers which can be used to move the dish and for switching polarity if necessary
- 60cm (approx 2 foot) Ku band dish (star choice)
- Assorted LNBs for Ku band, some of which are H/V polarized, some of which are circular polarised.

Now here's my question, questions.

What do I need to recieve 4DTV?
What do I need for FTA? I'm guessing some of it is the same
What type of LNB should I use for each, or do I need a combination of different ones?
Would multiple dishes be necessary or could I run one large dish with multiple LNBs and an actuator? Benefits either way?

What is recommended for HD?

Ok, that's a lot of questions so I hope to get at least some of my questions answered.
Thank you all in advance.

Inno

For FTA you will need a DVB Digital receiver, as you say some new LOW noise LNB's may be a good idea also!

You would need a 30" dish for Ku signals but your BUD can also be used.

Inno said:
Chaparral Corotor II Feedhorn with C-band and Ku capabilities although I'm sure the LNBs will have to be upgraded for digital use
Both your LNB's will work with digital.
Inno said:
What do I need to recieve 4DTV?
You will need a 4dtv receiver, 920, 922, or 905 sidecar, I would worry more about the 6' dish, it may not be big enough for reliable/stable reception. For 4dtv, people get it with 7 1/2' dishes, but I would recommend at least an 8' dish. It might work, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Inno said:
What do I need for FTA? I'm guessing some of it is the same
Any DVB receiver should work fine, they also have FTA cards for computers. Receivers are different, make sure you get one with a blind scan, it's a must. It might also be in your best interest to get one that does AC3 audio. To use AC3 audio, you will need a Stereo of a sort that will decode AC3, which will be separate, because no receivers decode AC3, the ones that have it, only pass it through. You would need some kind of decoder, some people use there computer. Maybe you could too. Some channels, only a few, use AC3, some use both, most are regular audio. Some sports feeds are AC3 also, seems like more and more are getting that way.
Inno said:
What type of LNB should I use for each, or do I need a combination of different ones?
The ones you have should be fine, try them first, then you might want to change them. It may take the most expensive and best, low noise or decibels you can find to maybe make the 4dtv work on that 6' dish.
Inno said:
Would multiple dishes be necessary or could I run one large dish with multiple LNBs and an actuator? Benefits either way?
Multiple dishes is always an option, but a dish with an actuator is the better option, and you wouldn't need but the 2 lnb's you already have. You would split the 2 lnb's with high frequency splitters with a power passthrough port and have it hooked the the analog/4dtv receiver and the other port going to a diseqc switch or other switch and to the DVB receiver or computer card. Or you could go from the lnb's to a diseqc switch or other switch and to the DVB receiver or computer card and slave out to the analog/4dtv receiver, then you wouldn't need the 2 splitters as mentioned above.
Inno said:
What is recommended for HD?
For the 4dtv, you will need an HDD200 Decoder, that works with the 4dtv receiver. For the FTA, the cheaper way is to use a computer card, but some of us, who prefer STB's have gotten the only available DVB STB in America. It's called the Quali-tv QS 1080IR receiver. It's not cheap, about $700. Hope this helps some and not too confusing?

Al

Thank you very much for the advise. Looks like I'm only going to have to do a little learning to "catch up".
I do have a dedicated home theater system with AC3 capabilities (optical and coax inputs) and a HD projection tv. I've toyed with the computer idea for recieving but I think my computer already does enough for me and I (possibly mistakenly) feel that computers are too prone to crashes etc. to make them viable.
I'm suprised that the LNBs I have can be used although I'll have to look and see what the ratings are on them to determine if they are any use or not. I took down many larger dishes and a few years ago scrapped a few, kinda wishing I'd kept at least one of the ten footers..........I'm not even gonna mention what it was at the risk of being lynched.............heavy sadness..........

At any rate, thank you for the detailed information, can't wait to get started (again).
Cheers
Inno

My computer has NEVER crashed when watching HD or 4:2:2 broadcasts! And with the DVB World USB receiver its all software driven!

If your computer is up to spec with the DVB World USB receiver crashing should not be an issue!

Is the quality as good with the World USB as it would be with a standalone unit?
Also how close to the TV does the computer have to be? Sounds interesting.

Does anyone have a good link to a retailer? Done a google search and haven't come up with any good links.

Last edited:
Inno said:
Is the quality as good with the World USB as it would be with a standalone unit?
Also how close to the TV does the computer have to be? Sounds interesting.

Does anyone have a good link to a retailer? Done a google search and haven't come up with any good links.

I believe Pete offers them.. Check his link at the bottom of his post..

Also, check out the review section for a review on it..

And WELCOME...

I watch HD and 4:2:2 only on the PC monitor!

The quality is STUNNING :)

Can you ONLY watch it on the computer? That really wouldn't be too good for me (and a waste of a 51" widescreen HDTV!)

Yes only on the computer screen! Many NEW computers have RCA outputs to plug in a TV. Many new TV's are really just large computer monitors, some users use them for TV and computing! That's the way things are heading with AV :)

PSB said:
Yes only on the computer screen! Many NEW computers have RCA outputs to plug in a TV. Many new TV's are really just large computer monitors, some users use them for TV and computing! That's the way things are heading with AV :)

Yeah, I've noticed the prices of computer monitors are dropping.. I wouldn't be surprised if around Christmas time I could buy a 24" wide screen monitor for about $200.00... Now, that would be nice..

You can also pick up a fairly decent Video card with HDMI output that will work with you HD TV. So, yes, you can watch HDTV on your HDTV from your computer.
Just have to spend even more money!!
grusome

Hmmm................I've already spent some money..............lol. I do have an express-vu HD receiver but I'd like some more variety of good quality HD!!!
I think maybe I'll wait 'till I move out to the country as my current location has some trees to contend with. I'd hate to buy a bunch of equipment only to find out that I can't use it here. Just found a place with 80 acres............a reposessed home, might be worth it. Just imagine, and 80 acre satellite "fun park".........hehehe. :D

BKP said:
Yeah, I've noticed the prices of computer monitors are dropping.. I wouldn't be surprised if around Christmas time I could buy a 24" wide screen monitor for about $200.00... Now, that would be nice..

Hell, I just bought a 23" widescreen LCD/Monitor/TV last week for $150 at Office Depot. Got two actually, for that price who could blame me. I use one for my bedroom (Wallmounted) and the other as my primary PC monitor in my war room (computer/sat room). It's HD so my 4:2:2 feeds look great on it! :D

I am setup this way

Inno said:
Thank you very much for the advise. Looks like I'm only going to have to do a little learning to "catch up".
I do have a dedicated home theater system with AC3 capabilities (optical and coax inputs) and a HD projection tv. I've toyed with the computer idea for recieving but I think my computer already does enough for me and I (possibly mistakenly) feel that computers are too prone to crashes etc. to make them viable.
I'm suprised that the LNBs I have can be used although I'll have to look and see what the ratings are on them to determine if they are any use or not. I took down many larger dishes and a few years ago scrapped a few, kinda wishing I'd kept at least one of the ten footers..........I'm not even gonna mention what it was at the risk of being lynched.............heavy sadness..........

At any rate, thank you for the detailed information, can't wait to get started (again).
Cheers
Inno

MY 20+ yr old 8 ft Perf Alum dish with 2 old Norstat LNB's attached to a 4DTV and HDD200...then a Viewsat Extreme FTA STB is attached to the KU leg via a HF (Power passthru on one leg only...Important) splitter...beautiful FTA too!!!!

Good luck

I'm saving up and going to put together a computer box for 4:2:2 HD. Like stated earlier, you can buy video cards with HDMI out and some with component outs. Check out newegg.com for really good prices on computer parts. The PQ is definitely as good, and almost all the time better than that of a STB. Think about it: look at how much your computer costs vs how much that STB box costs. The resolution of a computer monitor is far superior than that of your average standard defintion TV monitor. And the processing power if far superior as well. Your computer only has to be as close as the cable you're running for the computer to the TV. You'll probably want it in the same room since the DVB World box has a remote :).

bidaw said:
Hell, I just bought a 23" widescreen LCD/Monitor/TV last week for $150 at Office Depot. Got two actually, for that price who could blame me. I use one for my bedroom (Wallmounted) and the other as my primary PC monitor in my war room (computer/sat room). It's HD so my 4:2:2 feeds look great on it! :D

No Way...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts