4DTV W5 using offset LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

migold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Pearisburg, Virginia
I have success using an offset C/Ku-band LNBF to receive 4DTV from W5 @ 105W on my stationary dish aimed at 99W. I mounted the LNBF using 2" pipe hangers, planning to mount the LNBF using a scalar when I had the position maximized. The results are good and the reception is perfectly acceptable. Previously I used my 10' BUD for 4DTV and my EB# was +12.0 and Quality of 99 on the 4DTV receiver. Using the offset, the EB# is +9.2 and Quality is 88. This releases my BUD for FTA use across the arc. Perhaps later, I will remount using a scalar to see if there is any difference. The main LNBF is a Geosat Pro Dual C-band.
IMG_0616.JPGIMG_0614.JPGIMG_0615.JPG

I have success using an offset C/Ku-band LNBF to receive 4DTV from W5 @ 105W on my stationary dish aimed at 99W. I mounted the LNBF using 2" pipe hangers, planning to mount the LNBF using a scalar when I had the position maximized. The results are good and the reception is perfectly acceptable. Previously I used my 10' BUD for 4DTV and my EB# was +12.0 and Quality of 99 on the 4DTV receiver. Using the offset, the EB# is +9.2 and Quality is 88. This releases my BUD for FTA use across the arc. Perhaps later, I will remount using a scalar to see if there is any difference. The main LNBF is a Geosat Pro Dual C-band.
View attachment 74740View attachment 74741View attachment 74742

Just recently I purchased an esx241 C Band lnbf. It came with an extra box with some parts, which I'm assuming is used to make a mini BUD out of an offset dish. My offset dish is 31". I wonder if it would be worth the time and hassle to see if I could pick up any dvb c band signals? It seems I've read where some have been successful with a 4 footer. But anything smaller than that, I'm not certain about, thus not wanting to waste time trying something that wouldn't work to begin with.

highskies;
My dish is not offset, it is prime focus and 2.4 meter size (8 foot). The LNBF is offset from the main focal point to obtain the reflection of the 105W signal. I think a lot of my success is due to the 2.4 meter size, since the beamwidth is more narrow with the larger size dish. The positioning of the offset LNBF to obtain the 6 degree difference between satellites would be, I expect, more difficult to achieve with a smaller dish.

highskies;
My dish is not offset, it is prime focus and 2.4 meter size (8 foot). The LNBF is offset from the main focal point to obtain the reflection of the 105W signal. I think a lot of my success is due to the 2.4 meter size, since the beamwidth is more narrow with the larger size dish. The positioning of the offset LNBF to obtain the 6 degree difference between satellites would be, I expect, more difficult to achieve with a smaller dish.

That's what I get for not reading a bit closer. But I see what you're saying now. Obviously I misunderstood you big time. Usually when I hear the term offset, I'm usually thinking small motorized offset dishes. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Plus I guess I'll never figure out all these meters, since I'm old school when it comes to that. When I went to high school in the 70s. it was usually only feet and inches not meters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)