4dtv x4 (G4R0 on small dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
I have a dsr-905 sidecar, it should work to use a 75 cm Ku dish and KU lnbf for the Ku side of my absolute digital package shouldn't it?
Since the 905 does not move the dish I would have instant KU access with a fixed dish on X4. My C-band dish parked at G1R most of the time which would save a lot of wear on my actuator and speed channel access between the KU feeds and my HBO/Max channels on G1.

truckracer said:
I have a dsr-905 sidecar, it should work to use a 75 cm Ku dish and KU lnbf for the Ku side of my absolute digital package shouldn't it?
Since the 905 does not move the dish I would have instant KU access with a fixed dish on X4. My C-band dish parked at G1R most of the time which would save a lot of wear on my actuator and speed channel access between the KU feeds and my HBO/Max channels on G1.

I set up a primestar 84E on X4 back before I put up my Birdview 8.5'
Solid and it worked great I got quality numbers in the high 80's on everything so I would think it would work with the smaller KU dish.
I set the Lnb setting to C and KU LNBF and it worked fine using my
Monterey 95 to move the C band dish and then instant access to
X4.
My old Orbitron C-10 button hook never got better then a 75
quality number on X4, my birdview pegs everything though so I use
it now, also it pegs the quality on K3 600

truckracer,
How do you like your 905? What features do you find it lacks over its bigger siblings that really annoy you (if any)? how is it for ku performance?

my 905

I actually like the 905. I have not ever had a 922, so i can't be very objective.
Since my ORB_7500 analog receiver (no vcrs module)controls the dish and i use the analog for wild feeds, i am used to using it to position my dish with my fortec ultra lifetime slaved to it.

I would imagine for everyday people who are not like us "satellite guys", they would find fumbling with two remotes or three in my case to be too confusing and tedious. I admit a combo DCII, mpeg-2 DVB, analog c/ku receiver would be a real dream, but it's probably not ever gonna happen and if it did would be out of the price range of most people.

My 905 does not seem to have the program guide issues that i read about on various forums. I also do not have any problems receiving G1 satellite with my 7.5" dish. I get decent quality numbers from 50-60 on cinemax/HBO digital channels without any macroblocking or freeze framing.

The 905 is a little slow changing channels as apposed to the free to air receiver, and it is slow to respond to small nudges of the dish to peak the signal.

But I still love it.:hatsoff:

truckracer said:

I've been thinking of using an extra dish for the Ku channels too. I'm not sure that you'll save wear and tear on your actuator though. Before I got my 922, I asked the question about a second dish and the general thinking was that my bud would still move. Now that I've had the 922 for a few weeks, I think they are most likely correct, however I haven't tried it yet. It should provide instant access, but my guess is the graphic showing all the sats with the moving check mark showing the progress of your bud's move will still be displayed.

Mike

In Other Words....

iammike said:
I've been thinking of using an extra dish for the Ku channels too. I'm not sure that you'll save wear and tear on your actuator though. Before I got my 922, I asked the question about a second dish and the general thinking was that my bud would still move. Now that I've had the 922 for a few weeks, I think they are most likely correct, however I haven't tried it yet. It should provide instant access, but my guess is the graphic showing all the sats with the moving check mark showing the progress of your bud's move will still be displayed.
Mike
What you would have to do is program the 905 (truckracer) or 922 (iammike), so X4 will be located where G1 is located to keep the BUD from moving. Since that is what you're trying to do. That way when you select sat X4 to watch those channels, there is no movement. And assuming the coax from X4 goes to the ku side, all should be well. The 905 or 922 will think you're on X4, and you will be.

Al

voomvoom said:
What you would have to do is program the 905 (truckracer) or 922 (iammike), so X4 will be located where G1 is located to keep the BUD from moving. Since that is what you're trying to do. That way when you select sat X4 to watch those channels, there is no movement. And assuming the coax from X4 goes to the ku side, all should be well. The 905 or 922 will think you're on X4, and you will be.
Al

I'm not sure I understand how that will keep the dish from moving. Unless the last program I watched prior to switching to an X4 channel was on G1 wouldn't the dish just move to G1 instead of X4? I'm still brand new to 4dtv so I'm probably just missing something.

iammike said:
I'm not sure I understand how that will keep the dish from moving. Unless the last program I watched prior to switching to an X4 channel was on G1 wouldn't the dish just move to G1 instead of X4? I'm still brand new to 4dtv so I'm probably just missing something.
What I'm saying is. If for example, G1 is programmed at dish position 4321 on your 4dtv for your BUD. You would program X4 to dish position 4321, or whatever the position G1 is programmed at. That way, when you get ready to watch X4 and you press the SAT button, then move the "highlight area" to the X4 position and then press ENTER, the BUD will not move, because it is already on the same position as G1. And, your 4dtv will receive the channels from X4 through the ku input on the back of the 4dtv coming from your stationary/fixed FTA dish.
In fact, while on G1, go into Options, press 6 - Change System Settings, press 4 - Change Installation Settings, now "highlight X4" and press ENTER, now press GO BACK, it should highlight "Save X4", now press ENTER. If you do this, G1 and X4 will be stored to the same position in your 4dtv. So, your Bud will not move. But, if you are on another bird (not G1) when you change to watch X4. Such as GB/G11, the BUD will move to the X4 position, which would be the same as G1 if you do this. But, assuming you are going to keep your BUD on G1, like you mentioned, this should work fine. Hope this better explains it.

Al

Voom,

Now I understand the confusion. I missed Truckracer's comment that he was keeping his dish parked on G1 most of the time. Programming X4 to G1 works great for him. Not so much for me, since I'm all over the arc every day. Thanks for the suggestion just the same.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)