4K DirecTV Install Experience

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott13

Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
Harrisburg, PA
I contacted DirecTV and informed them I wanted to upgrade my current setup to be able to watch 4K programming (both the current 4K VOD and the upcoming live 4K. Fortunately I did a lot of research on these forums and figured out exactly what I needed. I received a very nice CSR and told her exactly what I needed. She had to do a lot of research to make sure I knew what I was talking about, but we eventually got the order concluded. I was ordering an HR54, C61K mini Genie and new reverse band LNBs.

The tech arrived this morning. While he was very nice, he was very inexperienced in installing the 4K equipment. He started out by saying I could use an HR44 and get 4K. When I told him that would not receive the new upcoming live 4K, he argued with me, but then said he would give me an HR54. There were no problems with the C61K, but then I told him I wanted him to install the new reverse band LNBs. He tried to tell me that was not necessary as I had an existing SWM setup and therefore don't need the new LNBs. I again got into a discussion with him. He called 2 of his supervisors who both also said I would not need the reverse band LNBs. He could tell I was getting upset, so he finally called DirecTV installer support and they confirmed to him what I had been telling him that the reverse band LNBs are necessary for the upcoming live 4K programming. He then happily installed the new LNBs. We got into some discussion regarding the power inserter installation that I wanted to make sure that if the HR54 went down for some reason, my remaining HR24 receivers would still work. He was clueless about this and I am not sure if that is how he actually installed everything or not, but my system does seem to be working properly so far. This was an installer covering the Harrisburg, PA market where I am located.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum who discussed all these issues so I knew what needed to be done. If I had not done this research and insisted on the proper installation, I have no idea if I would have received a properly install system.

Scott

well, if you can find the power inserter, just make sure the HR54 isn't connected to the IRD side, or if the PI is closer to the dish (wiring wise) than the splitter, make sure the HR54 isnt on the power passing side of the splitter.

if you cant find the power inserter, you might want to get one to fufill your requirements :)

well, if you can find the power inserter, just make sure the HR54 isn't connected to the IRD side, or if the PI is closer to the dish (wiring wise) than the splitter, make sure the HR54 isnt on the power passing side of the splitter.

if you cant find the power inserter, you might want to get one to fufill your requirements :)
Thought we read the power inserter on the HR 54 was internal?

It is internal, he has HR24s and wanted the power inserter separate for backup purposes if the HR54 goes down. Similar to adding a genie to an existing setup, installer could just leave the existing power inserter.
Not sure I'm following this correctly but it sounds like he has 2 PI in the set up now.
will they work correctly with over 40 volts ?
21v on the HR24 and another on the internal HR54

It is internal, he has HR24s and wanted the power inserter separate for backup purposes if the HR54 goes down. Similar to adding a genie to an existing setup, installer could just leave the existing power inserter.

Thanks for clarifying !

Not sure I'm following this correctly but it sounds like he has 2 PI in the set up now.
will they work correctly with over 40 volts ?
21v on the HR24 and another on the internal HR54
Yeah he has the PI and the HR54, which has it built in. As long as the HR54 is not connected to the power passing port of the splitter it will only use one.

I remember asking about people frying the HR54 / LNB if they connected the HR54 to the splitter with the PI inline and I think someone in one of the reviews or pre-release testing said there was a failsafe for that, but I can't remember.

As long as the HR54 (or H44) is not connected to the power passing port on the splitter it is an ok setup. That said, most installs that have a HR54 or H44 will not have a separate PI.

Yeah he has the PI and the HR54, which has it built in. As long as the HR54 is not connected to the power passing port of the splitter it will only use one.

I remember asking about people frying the HR54 / LNB if they connected the HR54 to the splitter with the PI inline and I think someone in one of the reviews or pre-release testing said there was a failsafe for that, but I can't remember.

As long as the HR54 (or H44) is not connected to the power passing port on the splitter it is an ok setup. That said, most installs that have a HR54 or H44 will not have a separate PI.
Thats Good Info !

Thank you for this additional information. I will check this evening when I get home to see what the installer ended up doing.

The other thing I learned during the install is that with the Reverse Band LNBs, there is only one coax that needs to run into the house from the dish. My prior LNBs had 4 coax running into the house. I have the 3 LNB model, but I think the 5 LNB version also only requires one coax from what the installer said.

Thank you for this additional information. I will check this evening when I get home to see what the installer ended up doing.

The other thing I learned during the install is that with the Reverse Band LNBs, there is only one coax that needs to run into the house from the dish. My prior LNBs had 4 coax running into the house. I have the 3 LNB model, but I think the 5 LNB version also only requires one coax from what the installer said.
This is all correct. The reverse bands use digital swm gen2, an acronym for single wire multiswitch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's interesting. ..

For years I thought the IRD end of a PI blocked DC voltages, so connecting an HR54 or H44 GL to it wouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Wait, I am confused. So I currently have a Samsung SUHD 4K TV and an HR44 Genie hooked up. I am using the built in RVU client on the TV and that all works fine for the 4K Vod that DirecTV offers. Are you telling me that once DirecTV starts broadcasting Linear 4K programming that I will need an upgrade?

Wait, I am confused. So I currently have a Samsung SUHD 4K TV and an HR44 Genie hooked up. I am using the built in RVU client on the TV and that all works fine for the 4K Vod that DirecTV offers. Are you telling me that once DirecTV starts broadcasting Linear 4K programming that I will need an upgrade?
Yes you will need an upgrade.

As pat smith stated you will need an upgrade. You will need the rvu as well as a 54 with reverse band lnb installed.

Yes you will need an upgrade.

As pat smith stated you will need an upgrade. You will need the rvu as well as a 54 with reverse band lnb installed.

So can I call DirecTV now as request those upgrades FREE of charge? Will I need to wait til they actually launch channels first? I assume they will provide the necessary upgrades to existing customers with the proper equipment that want to be ready for 4K linear programming. right?

I would wait since the reverse band LNB is not available in most areas yet and is not expected to be released nationwide until April.

You can get all that swapped for the price of a service call if you have the protection plan it's free, if they decide not to charge you its free. Now that being said changing the lnb may be considered an upgrade in the future we don't know. Those of us that have them now are testing or in pilot markets. There is no way to know unless you live in I pilot market. Btw I found out summerset is the multi band office in pascattaway nj.

Status
Please reply by conversation.