4K Events Discussion Thread

I think last week's 4K sport program really looked good on all my old HD TVs. Looked like a hi quality 780P to 1080P. On my 4K TV it just looked like 1080P to me.

I think last week's 4K sport program really looked good on all my old HD TVs. Looked like a hi quality 780P to 1080P. On my 4K TV it just looked like 1080P to me.
Where I see the difference is field level shots that have the crowd in them. I also notice the grass blades are sharper. Keep in mind that your 1080P shows are upconverted on your 4K set.

It's no wonder. Dish can't even provide true 1080p except for special events without significant compression, so how can 4k look any better? I would think that the 4k TV's up converting capability has more to do with a better looking picture than the Dish signal. I believe this also applies to Direct.

interesting, I went to look to see if any game has been added to the guide yet (yesterday); the wife was watching the H3 so dare not touch it; so I look on the app (As I know know you will NOT see it on a non-4k joey)
And wow, Texas - Kstate, cool; click record and get an error; your timer has not been set... [don't know how to attach a screen shot]

Today I look on the H3, and it's there; & set it to record no problem. could the guides be out of sync? The app newer than the H3?

so speaking of, the old 722 (I think ) you could go to the end of the guide, click forward & it'd force it to download more guide data; not a way on the H3?

interesting, I went to look to see if any game has been added to the guide yet (yesterday); the wife was watching the H3 so dare not touch it; so I look on the app (As I know know you will NOT see it on a non-4k joey)
And wow, Texas - Kstate, cool; click record and get an error; your timer has not been set... [don't know how to attach a screen shot]

Today I look on the H3, and it's there; & set it to record no problem. could the guides be out of sync? The app newer than the H3?

so speaking of, the old 722 (I think ) you could go to the end of the guide, click forward & it'd force it to download more guide data; not a way on the H3?
No, not a way on the Hopper family and it's an issue for us installers. Sometimes the guide just won't d/l when you do a new install.

Reactions: pattykay
This thread is a place to discuss the 4K events that appear on channel 540. We are getting, at this point, one college football game a week. Let’s hope there is more coming.

I have watched the Olympics, Planet Earth and Big 12 football on ch. 540. It is clearly preferred over 1080p. The football games have been incredibly sharp. I am watching on a 106 diagonal screen with an Epson 5040ub projector. Obviously the difference is easier to see on a large screen. A true 4k projector could only improve the picture more. It is not wildly better but it is easy to see.

Someone mentioned in the other 4K thread that the Big12 is getting a lot of coverage on the 4K channel.

Well, that's only because the 4k channel 540 is content from FS1, which covers mostly Big12 games on Saturdays.

Reactions: bryanw20
Someone mentioned in the other 4K thread that the Big12 is getting a lot of coverage on the 4K channel.

Well, that's only because the 4k channel 540 is content from FS1, which covers mostly Big12 games on Saturdays.
Yes, that is true. Dish has a contract with FS1 to show these games. Another thing to think about is that stadiums need to be geared for UHD to be even considered. And the TV truck also must be geared the same way.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What kind of gear?
Well, you know :), 4K cameras and wiring that can handle the rather large information carried on them. The TV truck must also be equipped with control boards and monitors that can work with 4K along with transmission gear that can get the signal to the system satellite.