4K Events Discussion Thread

4K Joey-->LOL!
Well, to be fair, it is a 4K joey, just not a 4K HDR Joey... There could be a coupe of reasons for the 4K Joey's inability to do HDR. It may not have the internals to allow for it or there just might be a MoCa issue. It takes a ton of bandwidth to pass HDR, much more than just 4K...

Reactions: charlesrshell
The 4K Joey has been a disappointing piece of Dish Engineering from the get-go. The only reason I haven't been too peeved is it works quickly and shows 1080 content and some 4K (in 1080 on my Sony Bravia), but how many months after launch did we have to wait before Netflix worked? No YouTube app available. Now, guess what? It can't do HDR. As I'm leasing my equipment, Dish should swap-out all the 4K Joeys with the 4K HDR Joeys, if and when they ever become available, at no cost.

As far as the MOCA bandwidth goes, my 4K Joey reports over 600 mbps available so that should not be a limiting factor on sending the 4K HDR station to the enhanced 4K Joey if it ever gets made.

Just quizical info here.
I do NOT have a 4K tv.
BUT
Last Olympics (and the nature 4K stuff) the H3 allowed down converted feed to my 1080 tv.
The extra noncompressed bandwidth made exceptional picture.
Throughout this past college football season, we enjoyed watching the noncompressed 540 4K games at 1080.
Even comparing FS1 to 540 to observe the extent of degredation of compression in the 'regular' hd channels.
So...
There has been no equipment change from then till now.
Why could the H3 previously pass/down-convert the 4K to our 1080 tv, but now cannot?
Artificial equipment verification block imposed by Dish?

Side note,
guide shows the 4K channel,
Pressing select to setup a timer brings incompatible message,
Pressing record button (below pause button) on remote allows initiating timer setup.
I have set timer to record all new and rerun programs on the 4K channel.
I don't have much of am expectation to watch them,
Expecting incompatible message on dvr/play attemp.
BUT, can't hurt to try.
;)
Follow up.

The H3 recorded the open ceremonies from the 4k channel.
Reiterating, our H3 is connected to a 1080 tv.
The 4k program is in the dvr listings.
I press play.
The program starts.
With a superimposed shading and the incompatible tv message.
Why?
20180210_150755.jpg

This is clearly a software forced block by Dish.
The program is clearly downscaled and is the fullscreen picture being mostly covered by the shaded window and incompatible hardware box.
Again,
Why artificially block what clearly is capable of the hardware?

Reactions: pattykay
As far as the MOCA bandwidth goes, my 4K Joey reports over 600 mbps available so that should not be a limiting factor on sending the 4K HDR station to the enhanced 4K Joey if it ever gets made.
Are you sure? For HDMI, HDR requires 18GHz certified cables, not sure if 18GHz of data fits into 600mbps as I'm not that familiar with the technology nor the math. But it seems that even my gigabit Ethernet would not be able to handle that in real time.

Follow up.

The H3 recorded the open ceremonies from the 4k channel.
Reiterating, our H3 is connected to a 1080 tv.
The 4k program is in the dvr listings.
I press play.
The program starts.
With a superimposed shading and the incompatible tv message.
Why?
View attachment 131297
This is clearly a software forced block by Dish.
The program is clearly downscaled and is the fullscreen picture being mostly covered by the shaded window and incompatible hardware box.
Again,
Why artificially block what clearly is capable of the hardware?

I have the same issue.

So in one household we have a non HDR 4K Vizio that will display the 4K channels just fine.

In another I have an Epson LS10000 4K laser projector that gets the 1540 error message. I was able to set a recording and start watching the recording with the error message plastered in the middle of the picture like KaptainRandom above.

I called Dish and got someone on the line and he took control of my Hopper 3. He did something that removed the error message and allowed me to view the 4K recording just fine as long as I didn’t stop watching or change the channel. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to make this a permanent fix, but he did log an incident report.

Reactions: pattykay and LQQK
I recorded Olympics 4K on the H3...The 4KJ's do not show the recordings in the DVR list...Though I might be able to watch them that way!

I wish they had made the error message behave differently.

A pop up stating that it may not behave correctly, but allow you to go to the channel would have been nice. If no picture or an incorrect picture tune up, down or chose a new channel from the guide. That would have allowed me to view the channel in glorious 4K on my 126 inch screen. It looked nice for the short time I was able.

So in one household we have a non HDR 4K Vizio that will display the 4K channels just fine.

In another I have an Epson LS10000 4K laser projector that gets the 1540 error message. I was able to set a recording and start watching the recording with the error message plastered in the middle of the picture like KaptainRandom above.

I called Dish and got someone on the line and he took control of my Hopper 3. He did something that removed the error message and allowed me to view the 4K recording just fine as long as I didn’t stop watching or change the channel. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to make this a permanent fix, but he did log an incident report.

What cable do you have between the Epson and the Hopper? I had a sim8lar issue and was cured by a cable swap. Even though I was using premium certified HDMI cable, I swapped with another and the message went away.

What cable do you have between the Epson and the Hopper? I had a sim8lar issue and was cured by a cable swap. Even though I was using premium certified HDMI cable, I swapped with another and the message went away.

I would have to check with the theater installer, but I’m sure it’s a high quality cable. And unfortunately it’s routed through the walls. It does go through a conduit, but would still be a hassle to change. I’ll call them Monday and see if they have another cable I can try though.

Everything else works fine. Apple TV 4K, Xbox One S, Zappiti Media player.

I would have to check with the theater installer, but I’m sure it’s a high quality cable. And unfortunately it’s routed through the walls. It does go through a conduit, but would still be a hassle to change. I’ll call them Monday and see if they have another cable I can try though.

Everything else works fine. Apple TV 4K, Xbox One S, Zappiti Media player.
The key is the cable is “premium certified” by hdmi.org. The package would have had a hologram on it.

Another person here who can't view the 4K feed. TV is 4K but not HDR and I get the error message trying to change to the channel.

I'm on the same TV, receiver, wires, and H3 with nothing in the setup changed on my end since I watched the 4K feed during the 2016 summer olympics.

So it does seem like Dish has changed something to block regular 4K users from viewing anything flagged with HDR

Guys, there is no 4K channel for this Olympics on Dish (there was one in 2016).
We now have a 4K HDR channel, which is a totally different animal.
The way to view it is to have an HDR-compatible TV set connected to the Hopper 3 (not 4K Joey) with an HDMI cable capable of handling the HDR bandwidth (e.g. Premium Certified HDMI). Some non-Premium Certified HDMI cables may still work, but it’s going to be hit and miss.

Premium Certified.jpeg

Attachments

• 185DE818-31D5-41C7-BA6A-E39792718B36.jpeg
    185DE818-31D5-41C7-BA6A-E39792718B36.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
8K UHD (Available Now In Japan)
That’s not completely accurate. 8K (Super Hi-Vision) in Japan is still in testing. Currently only available to public in select theaters. The first satellite broadcast is planned for no earlier than the end of this year. 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be the first one broadcast in 8K.

Guys, there is no 4K channel for this Olympics on Dish (there was one in 2016).
We now have a 4K HDR channel, which is a totally different animal.
The way to view it is to have an HDR-compatible TV set connected to the Hopper 3 (not 4K Joey) with an HDMI cable capable of handling the HDR bandwidth (e.g. Premium Certified HDMI). Some non-Premium Certified HDMI cables may still work, but it’s going to be hit and miss.

View attachment 131308

I’m able to watch it on a non HDR Vizio. Same as the last Olympics.

Reactions: Bogy
By the time Dish gets 4K HDR sorted out, 8K UHD (Available Now In Japan), will have been replaced by 16/32K...LOL!!!

Yea Dish needs to be worried about getting the rest of the HD that is out there first. My kids will be grown up,and have no need for Disney Jr soon before Dish gets it in HD....
The SD version is an eye sore for sure...

Reactions: LQQK