4K Events Discussion Thread

is that the last time?

ESPN has had a few on since then.

My guess is we will not see a lot until they go full time streaming in early 2025.
No, it was not the last time. Dish had every ESPN 4K event since then. ESPN has stopped 4K events for some time now though.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Any chance the Super Bowl will be on 540-01 this year?

Hopefully the Summer Olympics in Paris will be 4K as well.

I highly doubt the super bowl lol

Cbs hasn't done any live sports in "4K"
Have to start sometimes.

And CBS offers tons in 4K, just on their Paramount+ Service.

All live streams, including CBS, are in 1080P on it, expected to watch it that way, but 4K is better, especially if it is not that up converted garbage that Fox offers.

I highly doubt the super bowl lol

Cbs hasn't done any live sports in "4K"
As I wrote, gotta start sometimes-

Are the 4k Joeys supposed to have access to 540 when the H3 has no issue with it? Are the 4k Joeys supposed to play recordings off 540? Are the 540 subchannels on certain orbitals?

The 4K Joeys do not get the 540 channels because they don’t do HDR. I just tried to do a record on 540 on my Hopper 3. I see the recording in progress on my Hopper but not on the 4K Joey. I tried to ”Join” the Hopper feed on the Joey and it gave me a can’t join because of HDR. So, to answer your question. The 4K Joey is worthless for this purpose.

I was recording the whole 4k Packer-49er game via timer. No video on the channel prior to the timer starting and none throughout the game broadcast. Today the recording replays normal with video.

I also have seen that 4K recordings are somehow treated differently by the Hopper3 than are live broadcasts. I Have a non-HDR 4K TV (vintage 2015) and I cannot watch a live broadcast of anything on the 540-X channels, but I can record them then play them on my non-HDR 4K TV, albeit the picture is somewhat washed out, colors are muted. Therefore, I do not even bother to do this I just watch the HD broadcasts on regular channels.

The 4K Joeys do not get the 540 channels because they don’t do HDR. I just tried to do a record on 540 on my Hopper 3. I see the recording in progress on my Hopper but not on the 4K Joey. I tried to ”Join” the Hopper feed on the Joey and it gave me a can’t join because of HDR. So, to answer your question. The 4K Joey is worthless for this purpose.
The solution to this is the new Joey 4. It does 4K and HDR.
I had all of my Joeys updated to this a few weeks ago. These use the Google TV platform. The installation with my Hopper3 was complex, and took a couple of attempts to get everything working correctly.

For the initial install, I did not add the Hopper Plus to my Hopper 3, because it's been reported that you lose PIP and MultiView. I had issues with live satellite TV on the Joeys, so we added the Hopper Plus to my install. It worked, but no PIP or MultiView. I waited about a week to see if any software updates would restore PIP and Multiview. No bueno. So... I tried a manual software update, which did not go well. My installer walked me through multiple resets, and eventually we disconnected the plus from the system. It all works smoothly now; no plus, but PIP and Multiview are back, and the Joey 4s are stable.

4K HDR on the Joey 4s is good, but there is one weird behavior. The Joey 4s always tag the output as HDR even for SDR content. This is not ideal because the TV defaults to HDR settings including not setting BT709 for color.
The work around is to disable HDMI enhanced mode for the TV unless you are watching HDR content. This is not a huge problem because I am only watching HDR over Dish for sporting events a couple of times a week. It would be nice if Dish can fix this with firmware, but I am not sure if that is possible.
The other fix needed is to allow PIP and Multiview with the Plus, again, if that is possible.

What is this?
IMG_1304.jpeg