4K Football

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Even with 2 TVs... who wants to have their nice, snappy HR54 stuck in a bedroom or secondary room with a buggy, slow client on their nice, main, 4K TV? That seems completely foolish.

Reactions: AZ.
Even with 2 TVs... who wants to have their nice, snappy HR54 stuck in a bedroom or secondary room with a buggy, slow client on their nice, main, 4K TV? That seems completely foolish.
Oh so the client boxes are slow I didn't know that. Maybe the next gen clients will be faster? I think it would be cool if they could make a smaller Genie Server that outputted to 4k over HDMI. Have it be something like 10x8 with more than 5 tuners and still in black. Or maybe even have smaller 10x8 two tuner 4k DVR's that output to 4k over HDMI in addition to the Genie 4k server? Eventually they wont be able to refurbish the current equipment anymore.

Oh so the client boxes are slow I didn't know that. Maybe the next gen clients will be faster? I think it would be cool if they could make a smaller Genie Server that outputted to 4k over HDMI. Have it be something like 10x8 with more than 5 tuners and still in black. Or maybe even have smaller 10x8 two tuner 4k DVR's that output to 4k over HDMI in addition to the Genie 4k server? Eventually they wont be able to refurbish the current equipment anymore.

The client boxes are slow and glitchy. Just look at all the threads here and on similar forums about clients losing contact with the main unit, slower response time, etc. I have used a C31 in the past and it would often loose contact with the Genie, and was slow, but it was nice to have all the OTA on the other TV because clients will bring OTA to all rooms. That was honestly why I got a Genie system. At the time, it would show all your local subchannels, those not in the database had "regular schedule" in the guide, which is better than nothing. I am glad to be rid of the client. Since my bedroom and living room now share a wall, a powered HDMI splitter with RF remote in the bedroom is much better than the client. I would hope that a new receiver outputs 4K and has OTA capabilities and give options for a non-client option. I won't hold my breath on the OTA.

If I went 4K on 1 TV, what would happen with a splitter? Has anyone done that here?

The client boxes are slow and glitchy. Just look at all the threads here and on similar forums about clients losing contact with the main unit, slower response time, etc. I have used a C31 in the past and it would often loose contact with the Genie, and was slow, but it was nice to have all the OTA on the other TV because clients will bring OTA to all rooms. That was honestly why I got a Genie system. At the time, it would show all your local subchannels, those not in the database had "regular schedule" in the guide, which is better than nothing. I am glad to be rid of the client. Since my bedroom and living room now share a wall, a powered HDMI splitter with RF remote in the bedroom is much better than the client. I would hope that a new receiver outputs 4K and has OTA capabilities and give options for a non-client option. I won't hold my breath on the OTA.

If I went 4K on 1 TV, what would happen with a splitter? Has anyone done that here?
Would having a cable modem in the gateway make the connection to the clients more reliable? I remember the thread in hear about Humax having a headless Genie but it showed it having a Docsis 3.0 cable modem and some thought it was just a mock image for a cable headless DVR that had a DTV logo on it. Maybe that Humax headless Genie was actually right?

If not then I think you are right that that the server/client system sounds like it stinks and to hold on to the HR-44 and other tuner based equipment as long as a customer can or until they stop supporting them. Hopefully they would get the new guide also and it would run fast on them. However I forgot that they could also be going this way because aren't most TV providers wanting to transition to an all IP based system?

Without my knowing that Directv had to hook this up, I had it hooked up to the Bridge the other day. The only thing that looked bad was the guide. Yet, then again, there was no 4K for it to display, since Directv's Tech Department hadn't been out yet, nor had Directv flipped the 4K Lucky Switch. Hey, my Amazon Fire TV is wireless and streams UHD video. And it looks great. Should work

Without my knowing that Directv had to hook this up, I had it hooked up to the Bridge the other day. The only thing that looked bad was the guide. Yet, then again, there was no 4K for it to display, since Directv's Tech Department hadn't been out yet, nor had Directv flipped the 4K Lucky Switch. Hey, my Amazon Fire TV is wireless and streams UHD video. And it looks great. Should work

I've noticed that on all the clients, I had a C51 and RVU - the guide and user interface is pretty low-resolution. I think it is just to increase the speed of response to the remote as it doesn't take near as long to receive the image. If that was their deciding factory - I support it!

Reactions: Spike
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)