4k Insufficient Bandwidth?

jayiw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
For some reason suddenly I cannot stream 4k On Demand through my Hopper 3. I have a Fios gigabyte connection and I am connected wirelessly on the 5g network on my router. I am getting around 600mpbs down and 500mbps up on my phone and laptop. For some reason it shows only 28mbps when I test the status on the hopper. I think this happened when the H3 was updated to the 316 update. Never had an issue prior. I have reset the Hopper twice and reset the router. Everything else streams no problem through the TV itself not using the Hopper 4k HDR, 4k Dolby Vision/Atmos sound, ect). Dish is the only issue. Does anyone have any ideas or just wait for the next update and hope that fixes it? Thanks! Jay

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I triend it again just now and it seems to be working but it does still show very slow downloading. The movie stream download is around 45mbps to 65.

The movie stream download is around 45mbps to 65.
That's faster than I've ever seen! Did you plug the Hopper into the GigE port? IIRC it also has one that's fast Ethernet, which would probably yield a speed like you report.

Reactions: charlesrshell
On my TV, the Ethernet adapter is only capable of up to 100Mb/s so I Watched a video where the host took a particular Ethernet to USB adapter, connected that to the USB 3.0 port and download speed went from about 96 MB/s to over 500. I bought the Adapter on Amazon and sure enough, it works! Even with my VPN, I get close to 200 Mb/s download speeds, using Analiti Speedtest App.

zPXp32K.jpg

I had one laying around that didn't work but that's because it didn't utilize the Realtek RTL8153 Chipset. The one I got, is the

TP-Link USB to Ethernet Adapter, Foldable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter​

I wonder if that would work on a Hopper.

Last edited:
I never noticed any really fast speeds streaming with the hopper, most I would get wireless would be Mbps in the 80's. That is very slow for a gig connection which normally does wireless between 500/600 Mbps with just about everything else close to the router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts