4K Joey power adapter question

Brandon_m

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Tennessee
So kind of a nerdy question, but I happen to notice that the tech that installed my 4K Joey just used the power adapter that was already here from the wireless Joey that he removed. On the power adapter it outputs 2.1 amps, but on the back of the 4K Joey it calls for 2.5 amps. Should I worry about this or na?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

They are two different adapters from all accounts I have read. I would PM DIRT for the correct one, but maybe someone with the 4K Joey knows better than me.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I would NEVER use a power supply that is under rated for the equipment you are using. I assume this was an honest mistake by the installer, maybe thinking it's "close enough", but not a good habit to get into.

If the 4K Joey was rated at LESS than 2.1A (and still at the same voltage) then that wouldn't be bad to use the old adaptor since it is rated higher than the 4K would require. Still, best to always use the accessories and components that are supplied with the equipment to avoid any issues. Especially when it comes to things like power supplies that could overheat and fail. Or worse.

I know this is an older post related to the Joey 1 and 2, but the same principal applies:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...ar-joey-vs-wireless-joey.355807/#post-3787091

I was told by a DIRT member "if it's not broken don't fix it" .

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I was told by a DIRT member "if it's not broken don't fix it" .

What? That is one of the more irresponsible responses I've heard. Is this person going to put in writing that they personally will repair or replace all equipment (including your home) if anything goes wrong? What if the adapter overheats because it is under rated and instead of failing open (simply stops working which I would believe to be 'typical') it fails to the point of melting or even fire?

Now, to be honest, in today's electronics (unless a really cheap or POS knock-off) you may not have to really worry about this minor current draw difference affecting performance. But if the 4K Joey starts to draw more than the power supply can provide then it may cause unknown issues. If I remember correctly, higher than rated current draw will lower the effective voltage the power supply delivers which could affect the way the Joey functions.

This is not like a phone charger. Where if you use a low current charger the phone adapts and only draws what it can; simply takes longer to charge. This adapter provides the working voltage/current to the Joey. I would think the DIRT member would at least want customers to use the supplied equipment for peak performance, if not simply for possible liability reasons.