4K Joey

Just more conjecture arguing.
Of course. No one here knows. If they happen to know, they can't say. The only way the truth would leak this early if it was in the form of a trial balloon to see what public reaction is to the pricing. Although I'm not sure that we're representative of the general public here. My comments are all personal conjecture, I have no insider information about 4K pricing or availability.

There still is no official release date for the 4K Joey but we do know it will be released at the same time as the Hopper 3.

The 4K Joey will retail for $149. When singing up as a new customer the 4K Joey will require a $50 upfront fee. It will also cost $50 for existing customer to upgrade to it.

Out of curiosity, how would they know if you have a 4K TV or not?

They would ask you when signing up so they can recommend the proper equipment. If a customer only has one TV and it's 4K and you do not want the Hopper 3, Dish wants you to get a Hopper 2 with 4K Joey. Seems ridiculous you have two receivers at on TV just so you can have 4K abilities but that's what Dish is recommending. So basically you would pay an extra $7/mo just to have 4K on your one TV.

They would ask you when singing up so they can recommend the proper equipment. If a customer only has one TV and it's 4K and you do not want the Hopper 3, Dish wants you to get a Hopper 2 with 4K Joey. Seems ridiculous you have two receivers at on TV just so you can have 4K abilities but that's what Dish is recommending. So basically you would pay an extra $7/mo just to have 4K on your one TV.

Yeah...I get that. I was being facetious regarding the scenario of someone wanting to order a 4K Joey (for reasons other than 4K), but being afraid to do so because they didn't actually have a 4K TV. :D

... If a customer only has one TV and it's 4K and you do not want the Hopper 3, Dish wants you to get a Hopper 2 with 4K Joey. Seems ridiculous you have two receivers at on TV just so you can have 4K abilities but that's what Dish is recommending. So basically you would pay an extra $7/mo just to have 4K on your one TV.
Just like the current DirecTV setup :)

Out of curiosity, how would they know if you have a 4K TV or not? ;)
Very off-topic, I realize, but many years ago, Time Warner would not provide HD DVRs to people who didn't have HD televisions. People wanted the HD versions simply because they had substantially larger HDDs, faster processors, etc (just a newer piece of hardware). They req'd a tech to hook them up (and verify the TV).

My rule of thumb for Dish CSRs(even when I was one) is lie to them if you know exactly what you want. I always tried to help customers down that path on recorded calls, while still staying within policy when they knew exactly what they wanted. I get Dishs side of it, but that isn't always the best customer solution. I also hated selling stuff, since I was tech support, I just wanted to work on tech support. It was stupid and effective.

Love using the pip on my second Hopper so is it worth the upgrade now for the 4k joey... Maybe... Maybe not... What other capabilities does the 4k joey have... Note - I don't have a 4k tv and not sure if I will anytime soon... Just love new gadgets

And the 4K Joey is teeny-tiny compared to the HD Joeys. If I recall, last year at CES Dish mentioned mounting the 4K Joey on the back of the flat panel. I wonder if they will have that available for customers?

Hey, here's a relevant question: since the Joey 4K has basically been around for a year, does it conform to any of the UHD Alliance standards for HDR and Color Mapping that were announced at CES 2016?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)