4k news / interesting NBA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bjf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Saw this 4k news from the NBA.

The Bucks are installing 38 5K cameras in a 360degree circle at their arena.

So lots of hi-res game coverage and replays in better than 4k.

The Milwaukee Bucks will be able to show 360-degree replays with Intel's latest 3D, 360-degree video system – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Bucks Partner with Intel Sports to Bring True View to Fiserv Forum | Milwaukee Bucks

There is more news about this www.jsonline.com their local newspaper.

So a single NBA team in a smaller market can do this but FOX can't spend the money for "Real" 4k coverage of the NFL and College football.

bjf

The Milwaukee Bucks will be able to show 360-degree replays with Intel's latest 3D, 360-degree video system – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Bucks Partner with Intel Sports to Bring True View to Fiserv Forum | Milwaukee Bucks

So a single NBA team in a smaller market can do this but FOX can't spend the money for "Real" 4k coverage of the NFL and College football.

bjf
Fox would have to cover the USA, not 1 arena.

They are doing basically one game a week. If that.
You could easily do that one game in "real" 4k / HDR.
They are just choosing to be cheap and not spend the bucks.

In this case "for the entire USA". It's not worth it too Fox to offer this.
But they sure can exaggerate the truth of offering "real" 4k HDR.

So again one single smaller market NBA can invest the money for 38 5K cameras and "real" 4k studio gear / editing gear / monitors.
For their fans.

But Fox worth many many MANY times more money, '' Can't " !

I'm not expecting Fox to offer 4k / HDR of several USA sports games same night multiple teams cities.
Though it would be great. I just comparing too right here / right now.

One game a week on the 4k channel for the few that can even get the signal to enjoy this.

And as the writer of that recent review mentioned there are so many screwups by Fox to even get a 4k viewable signal out to those with all the right
equipment at home.

The ONLY thing Fox seems to be able to do is tell the world they are now offering NFL games in 4k HDR.
In others words LIE to the US viewers.

But the NBA Bucks are doing this for their fans this year it appears.
At least in the stadium. I've no idea if they will stream their games in 4k.

On a side note the NHL seems to drag it's feet with 4k also.
But in Canada, Rogers cable (if I recall correctly) offers every single NHL game in 4k that is shown in Canada.
This might be when teams play in Canada but they have done this for 1 year possibly 2 -3 years.

So why the heck are US fans getting screwed by all the major sports here.
And the sports TV networks.

I will give Fox a little credit for what they are doing in the smallest / cheapest way.
At least it's a tiny more forward.

ESPN - "THE WORLD LEADER IN SPORTS" (AKA DISNEY CORPORATION) is so f'ing cheap and
could care less about it's viewers and give us nothing - zero - zilch - to watch in 4K. I think they are waiting the
16K or 32K before they jump into the game. JEEZE. How many more f'ing years will they shove out 720P to viewers.

But I'm getting off subject. lol

bjf

bjf

Having 4K cameras is only a small part of the puzzle. The entire production process needs to be 4K. They've been using 4K cameras at NFL games for a while now - it makes it easier to zoom. If that's all there was to it they would already be there.

Like I said before though, I doubt you'd notice much difference between "real 4K" and upscaled 1080p, because the big improvement is the massively higher bit rate. If you used 30 Mbps HEVC HDR in 720p and let your TV upscale it I'll bet it'd be stunning. Maybe slightly less stunning than the upscaled 1080p, but most people wouldn't know the difference. After all, everyone just assumed Fox's FS1 college games were true 4K until they learned otherwise, so it isn't like you can tell the difference by eye - you'd only be able to do side by side (and even then it might not be too easy unless you got up closer to the screen)

Reactions: Jimbo
Slice1900, Respectfully completely disagree with your views.

I can tell the difference easily.

I keep referencing the Winter Olympics (sourced from 8k HDR).

That 4k HDR was stunning. 1080P HDR would not look anywhere as good.

Of course you might find a studio setup down the road with cheap gear that woud effect picture quality.
And certainly down the road bit starved bitrates will make 4k look bad.

But even a 50" cheap 4K tv will easily let viewers see all that 4k detail that 1080P can't.

Unless you have bad eyes. I think most people could easily tell the difference in a A/B test.

As for everyone being played for fools by Fox with the NCAA football not really in 4k.
(always nice to lie to your public)...... But as for those games I've seen many posts at how bad some of the games looked.

I myself saw some of the bad looking games and it was obvious it wasn't 4k.
But even the best ones were pixelated in areas of action on slo-mo replays.

Real 4k / high bitrate would not look like that.
And the Olympics prove that out.

Even the Summer Olympics 4k the first 4k feed for viewers looked amazing.
And it was just 4k camera's if I remember right.

The native format they are using 444 or 422 is much better than a consumer compression H.265 4k camcorder.
But even h.265 high bitrate would probably still look quite good in slo-mo compared to what were now getting from Fox with pixelation and artifacts.

Yes, I'm aware ESPN and laters others used a 4k camera for zoom in shots.
But they probably had little 4k studio gear. Just enough to use for the one shot in the their HD mix.

bjf

Of course you might find a studio setup down the road with cheap gear that woud effect picture quality.

But even a 50" cheap 4K tv will easily let viewers see all that 4k detail that 1080P can't.

Unless you have bad eyes. I think most people could easily tell the difference in a A/B test.

As for everyone being played for fools by Fox with the NCAA football not really in 4k.
(always nice to lie to your public)...... But as for those games I've seen many posts at how bad some of the games looked.

The native format they are using 444 or 422 is much better than a consumer compression H.265 4k camcorder.
But even h.265 high bitrate would probably still look quite good in slo-mo compared to what were now getting from Fox with pixelation and artifacts.

But they probably had little 4k studio gear. Just enough to use for the one shot in the their HD mix.

bjf

2016 Summer Olympics was also with 8k cameras but no HDR back then. And I agree, I think real 4K is noticeable from fake 4k. Summer and Winter Olympics is the best 4K broadcast I've ever seen on Directv. I was disappointed with a lot of the 4K broadcasts after that (still looked good but not as good as the Olympics). After the Olympics, I would rank the Masters and some of the NBA games as the best 4k I've seen on Directv.

bjf
When was this Olympics that you saw so stunning and where at ?

How long have 4k set been out now ?
I'm talking High End ones for homes ...

Sounds like you have seen all this and think you know that it all looks bad ... however, you never saw the 1st week NFL production, but took peoples word.
Like MANY said the 1st week was BAD, however, the 2nd week most looked great and the issues were resolved ...
I prefer to give them credit for fixing and improving from that 1st week.
Like I said back then, its going to be a work in progress, it will get better each week.

Sounds like your an angry man ...

Had you not seen an article that said it wasn't 4k, you would have wrote it off as a bad night and improvements the next week.

These people don't owe you anything.

I was the first HD MLB game (Playoff game) on Fox many years ago, matter of fact I was on the phone with the local Chief Engineer when they flipped the switch to go Live HD.

It was stunning ....
The difference between SD and HD is much larger than HD to 4k

I asked you awhile back what TV you were viewing all your 4k on that you are so disappointed in, but haven't heard back.

I feel like bucks games have been 4k for a while,
Last season I saw a few bucks games in 4k

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longhorn23

I didn't see a single post saying Fox's college games looked bad, either this year or last - other than the C61K frame rate issues which had nothing to do with it. I did see a lot of people describe it as stunning. Can you find any posts saying the Fox college games "looked bad", which are complaints about the PQ and not HDR color mapping issues or C61K frame rate issues? Something from more than a few weeks ago, before it was revealed that they weren't true 4K like everyone had assumed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)