4K Playback issue on Hopper 3

None of Dish IP VOD is truly streamed. It is downloaded via IP to the drive and played from there.

Here we go splitting hairs again.

I was referring to it not being on channel 1 or 501 which are on your hard drive and DO NOT require fast internet because they are NOT streamed. Everything else 4K requires streaming from the internet. Of course it goes to your hard drive but that's not the point. The point is that you have to have very fast internet to stream it or download it or whatever you want to call it.

Here we go splitting hairs again.
Not at all. There are very real differences (both pro and con) in the experience of Dish's download and play model vs what virtually anywhere else on the internet considers streaming.

Not at all. There are very real differences (both pro and con) in the experience of Dish's download and play model vs what virtually anywhere else on the internet considers streaming.

But has nothing to do with the point of my post or this conversation, which is whether you need fast internet to get it or not.

But has nothing to do with the point of my post, which is whether you need fast internet to get it or not.
Well, It definitely has relevance to the size of pipe needed comment which starred this branch of discussion. glabrecque's post had spelling issues but was technically correct, more so than your correction to it.

If you meant to clarify the difference between than VOD1 and IP VOD, then make that clear.

Well, It definitely has relevance to the size of pipe needed comment which starred this branch of discussion. glabrecque's post had spelling issues but was technically correct, more so than your correction to it.

If you meant to clarify the difference between than VOD1 and IP VOD, then make that clear.

It has very little relevance in the case of the H3. If you don't have very fast internet you don't download or STREAM or whatever 4K to the H3. Period. You get a message that your receiver has insufficient bandwidth. The only 4K available on the H3 if you don't have very fast internet is the VOD on channels 1 and 501 that are DOWNLOADED to your hard drive from the satellite. Clear enough for you to understand?

Yeah I don't think it is streamed in the Netflix sense. You are able to watch it as it is downloaded - which essentially is a means of streaming - but it then appears in the rented folder as a downloaded program.

It has very little relevance in the case of the H3.
H3 will download 4K happily at rates that aren't really good enough for a live stream. Dish does have a floor to make sure you aren't waiting to next month though.

H3 will download 4K happily at rates that aren't really good enough for a live stream. Dish does have a floor to make sure you aren't waiting to next month though.

We don't have fast internet around here so I don't know. I've tried it on a customer's 18meg internet and it still said 'Insufficient Bandwidth'.

This is a brand new Sony 4K TV that I just got this past December. I can play back 4K content from the Smart TV itself with no issues, just can't with the Dish Hopper 3
Out of curiosity, what is the model of the tv? Is the hopper 3 hooked directly to it or is it going through a home theatre receiver? If going through a receiver, what is the brand/model number of that?

Out of curiosity, what is the model of the tv? Is the hopper 3 hooked directly to it or is it going through a home theatre receiver? If going through a receiver, what is the brand/model number of that?
It's a Sony XBR-65X850C. I've got the Hopper 3 hooked directly to the TV itself.

It's a Sony XBR-65X850C. I've got the Hopper 3 hooked directly to the TV itself.

You basically have the same tv as me. I have the XBR-65X850B. Not sure what the difference between B and C is, but I would imagine C would be a more recent model. I have my H3 plugged in to HDMI port 1. 4K works fine for me. Double check your TV settings.

Yeah, there shouldn't be a problem. As long as you have a high speed hdmi cable you shouldn't have a problem. Non high speed cables have been obsolete for almost 10 years now, so that's honestly likely not the issue. It's hard to find those old, slow cables now.

Maybe try another 4K program? Make sure your hdmi cable is tight to both inputs, check settings. Plugin reset the hopper and tv. If problem persists, I'd try swapping cables or inputs in case of possible defective cable or hdmi input. I don't think that's likely because I don't think you would get a picture at all in that case. If all this fails, either the TV or Hopper 3 is likely defective and it's a matter of finding out which. The likely problem would be the Hdcp 2.2 protection failing on one end or the other.

It's called Defiance and it's streamed.

Sorry for the typo but no it is not streamed it is downloaded to the hard drive and once enough is downloaded you can play it before it is completely downloaded which allows you to have a much slower internet connection but it will still take awhile to download a 4k show with a slower connection.

Sorry for the typo but no it is not streamed it is downloaded to the hard drive and once enough is downloaded you can play it before it is completely downloaded which allows you to have a much slower internet connection but it will still take awhile to download a 4k show with a slower connection.
But that is still streaming via the internet and stored for a time on your HD in the rental folder. There are channels, 1 and 501, that download via the satellite directly to your HD. These can be played at any time, for a price of course....

Reactions: JSheridan
But that is still streaming via the internet and stored for a time on your HD in the rental folder. There are channels, 1 and 501, that download via the satellite directly to your HD. These can be played at any time, for a price of course....

That is not streaming because you only play it back from the hard drive your internet speed is only for the download to your hard drive.

It's still not available unless you have a very fast internet connection. If you don't you can't download the 4K. I've tried with as fast as 18Mbps download and the H3 still says 'Your receiver currently has insufficient bandwidth..'.

It's still not available unless you have a very fast internet connection. If you don't you can't download the 4K. I've tried with as fast as 18Mbps download and the H3 still says 'Your receiver currently has insufficient bandwidth..'.

I had an issue the first week I had the Hopper 3 but after that I have been able to download the 4k content no problem but it still takes awhile before enough is downloaded to allow you to play the show.

I had an issue the first week I had the Hopper 3 but after that I have been able to download the 4k content no problem but it still takes awhile before enough is downloaded to allow you to play the show.

And how fast is your internet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts