4k question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
while talking on directv forums its been said that you must have a 25mbs internet to get 4k service?

what about those subs with no internet? can we not get 4k?

It's really unfortunate that there is a bunch of misunderstood concepts going on here.

When DirecTV talks about having any sort of Internet access, it is for VoD (Video on Demand) as well as if you use your STB for app access.

4K, if it's using an Internet connection, is severely compressed down to your box. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I am saying that uncompressed 4K would actually take a 12GB link -- you can see the difference there.

Typically, HD-based programming really only requires about 5MB so that you don't drop frames or run into pixelation, etc., so that's probably why DirecTV is recommending 25MB.

So, unless DirecTV is intentionally hijacking their own boxes that are provisioned for 4K so that they require an Internet connection, the 4K that you receive is coming off the sat feed, not the Internet (with VoD exception, and that'll be compressed anyway).

in this case tech refused to install 4k because they didnt have 25mbs wifi, only 16

given that many sat users have no internet at all, let alone 25mbs, this would mean they could not get 4k

in this case tech refused to install 4k because they didnt have 25mbs wifi, only 16

given that many sat users have no internet at all, let alone 25mbs, this would mean they could not get 4k

Did they install the lnb you need to receive 4k on channel 106?
The installer sounds clueless?

Did they install the lnb you need to receive 4k on channel 106?
The installer sounds clueless?

last i herd 104-106 were still coming in off the 99CA or CB slot. not the CR. so you can technically get 4k without the RBLNB. as for requiring internet, there was a time when it was only coming in from on demand side, so internet was required. i don't think D* ever lifted that requirement when they launched the 4k channels because it wouldn't really provide enough content to make the transition worth the cost.

as for the speeds they want, i thought it was 10 for HD and 25 for 4k, but that was only ever really based on what Netflix recommended, not something D* outright stated. although when you bundle D* with any provider i think the lowest they allow the internet service to be is 6 or 7mb.

I just installed a HR54 and C61 for a customer that had no INTERNET at all!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

That's the dumbest thing I've heard about 4k. You do Not need any Internet for 4k....at all. I've worked for mastec in the past and I still know people who do, for about 3 months now, they don't even get hr44s anymore. The company I work for hasn't gotten any hr44s since late June, just 54s. I was told that the 44s could do 4k on demand over the Internet, but I'm not even sure because I never saw it done, or had anyone ever ask. EVERY 4k job I've done was with hr54 using satellite transponders. It sounds like you got a poorly trained installer on their first day. This is absolutely likely with mastec, they are WORTHLESS. the amount of chargeback and insane routes and scheduling means their turnover is abysmal.
Funny thing is, my company's workload has doubled in the last two months because mastecs contract is getting killed by Att. Att did a nationwide QC audit and the mastec jobs were the worst, resulting in them not getting their contract renewed whenever it runs out.

If you get a mastec guy, MAKE HIM LEAVE. He hasn't been on the job for even 90 days, he don't know, and doesn't care because he is getting hammered with chargeback.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts