4K TV Coming to DIRECTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Its a TV that has around 4000 x 2000 resolution,
Instead of the 1920 x1080 that a 1080p hd TV has for resolution.

i don't know, maybe i'm being negative here but it feels like this is a waste of time at the moment. they could be spending their time and efforts on other things, no?

i don't know, maybe i'm being negative here but it feels like this is a waste of time at the moment. they could be spending their time and efforts on other things, no?
I agree, I think its another Hype that no one will buy into , like 3D.

I know so many people that bought 3D tv's and never once put the glasss on.

I'm not paying a premium for a TV or Directv for 4K service, I can tell you that right now.
I'm also not taking another price increase like I just took in February with Directv to pay for this 4K crap either.

I agree, I think its another Hype that no one will buy into , like 3D.

I know so many people that bought 3D tv's and never once put the glasss on.

I'm not paying a premium for a TV or Directv for 4K service, I can tell you that right now.
I'm also not taking another price increase like I just took in February with Directv to pay for this 4K crap either.

While I too dont think that the 4k thing will be huge hit, much like the 3d thing, I DO think it will be used, but it will be used for more things like movies it theatre applications, not home application.

I too think D* getting into this is ridiculous, particularlly at this point.

However, D* will often find them being the 1st to jump into something, flop or not.
That said, if they dont and another provider does, and its successful, many will be complaining.... Why isnt D* doing this and feel cheated.

So, either way you look at it, D* loses, unless its a huge success.

D* needs the high end 4K TV customer. Or whatever. DirecTV fans need to feel special about the television service they subscribe to. This will give a certain amount of umph to the nanny nanny poo poo look what we have that your your service does not style attitude that I see occasionally. Or so it seems...

Eventually 4K TV will be become mainstream, but only when the vastly majority of US households have displays on their Living Room/Media Room of 100 inches or more. That is going to be years from now. The Technology was introduced for HDTV around 1994, the first HD broadcast happened in 1998. 4K TV is around about where HDTV was in the early 90's. We are now in 2013 and HDTV has been adopted by most US Households, so it took almost 20 years for HDTV to be the household standard for TV in the US. With that said HDTV has not completely replaced NTSC yet either. 4K TV might take even longer to migrate to.

I would not expect 4K TV to eclipse and or replace HDTV for at least 15 years if not longer.

Sorry but 3D TV analogies are not as relevant, it's likely to be a niche product forever, unless we are able to invent holographic technologies to transform 3D into a true 3D instead of using shifting, shutter, or stacked overlaid fields to fool the human eye into seeing a 3D image.

John

Sorry but 3D TV analogies are not as relevant, it's likely to be a niche product forever, unless we are able to invent holographic technologies to transform 3D into a true 3D instead of using shifting, shutter, or stacked overlaid fields to fool the human eye into seeing a 3D image.

John
Sure it is!

Becuase it was made out to be the next big thing once HD TV fad was over. And it fell flat on its face! People barely can afford what they have now, Let alone 4 K tvs.

The only reason we are talking about 4 K is becuase HD TV fad is over, 3D Flopped and 4K is the next thing they could come up with.

You can say what you want in the defence of 3D
but that was doomed from the start. But it was still the "Next Big Thing" Just like Ultra HD. Which why I think this Analogy is Totally relevant.:)

I do see 4K being a big player in 5 to 7 years.

The shame of it all is the 4K that I have seen looked as good to me as original NON COMPRESSED HD looked like on DISH and DIRECTV when HD was just starting to be broadcast by Satellite. Its too bad we don't have the same PQ today.

The shame of it all is the 4K that I have seen looked as good to me as original NON COMPRESSED HD looked like on DISH and DIRECTV when HD was just starting to be broadcast by Satellite. Its too bad we don't have the same PQ today.
I agree totally.

So now in order to get what we had in 2004 PQ wise, its going to cost us Big time!

Not necessarily. The improvements in compression technologies needed to be able to broadcast 4K TV within the spectrum we have today could have the benefit of allowing HD PQ to ramp back up to what HDTV is capable of. The question will be if the Third Party providers (Satellite, Cable and Telco's) use the improved technology to improve the viewer experience. The jury is still out on this.

John

Not necessarily. The improvements in compression technologies needed to be able to broadcast 4K TV within the spectrum we have today could have the benefit of allowing HD PQ to ramp back up to what HDTV is capable of. The question will be if the Third Party providers (Satellite, Cable and Telco's) use the improved technology to improve the viewer experience. The jury is still out on this.

John
Hey, I'm all for the next thing. But which networks are going to 2160p? as of Now Directv can't even take atvantage of their full HD except in Directv Cinema Movies.

Networks don't even do 1080p

Networks don't even do 1080p
The other Problem I see is Network costs.

Everyone is raising He$% over Poor Directv having to pay all these Networks so much money that its unfair. And now Directv wants to force 4 K out of them. Yea can't wait to see them prices!

Last edited:
DIRECTV announced almost a year ago that they were rigging for 4K (and 8K).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401711,00.asp

That they're trying to trademark a bunch of names for an in-house channel (like n3D) doesn't show a whole lot more commitment (especially given that n3D was mercifully removed from the uplink this week).
The article was nice, It didn't state they are in any near time frame ready.
" More like 2018-2020" and "No one at Directv could be reached, "

Just sounds like a scare tactic to the competition, then actual progress.

And so it begins... 4k hate just like 3D hate from the same people... I've seen 4K and was impressed, the demos on the floor at CES didn't do it justice, you had to wait in line and go inside to see the good stuff. Sony had a set with surround sound that rocked!

If the providers went back to showing the picture as it was originally intended too be seen, like you say, UnCompressed, we would ALL be THRILLED, this the new products they are pushing, would be non existent and the providers would be happy with happy subs, but the TV makers and the - Next Gen of product line would NOT be happy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts