5/10/2010 12:05pm - Uplink Activity Report - 4 changes

D

DigiDish Uplink Report

Original poster
SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/10/2010 12:05pm - 4 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 05/10/2010 11:46A - 05/10/2010 12:05P

Channel Renames:
125 - ITV2 - EchoStar11 110W TP 10 ConUS beam renamed to COOK (A)
125 - ITV2 - Nimiq5 72.7W TP 31 ConUS beam renamed to COOK (A)
9644 - ITV2 - EchoStar11 110W TP 10 ConUS beam renamed to COOK (A)
9644 - ITV2 - Nimiq5 72.7W TP 31 ConUS beam renamed to COOK (A)

Channels in the system: 7051
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available
(H) = Hidden from non-subscribers

The Format and Layout of the SatelliteGuys Uplink Report is © Copyright 2010 SatelliteGuys.US and may not be republished without written permission from SatelliteGuys.US.

The SatelliteGuys Uplink Report is powered by Digiblur Technologies! - DigiDish v10.05.04

© 2010 - All Rights Reserved - SatelliteGuys Incorporated

You guys are talking about 2 different things...

Dish is running an interactive channel called COOK which is just an ad playing over and over again.

The FLN channel is going off the air and will be rebranded the COOKING channel on May 31st.

Two totally different channels.

I just had a thought. t he Cooking Channel tha starts May 31. I read somewhere that it will replace FLN.

One thing I note on the "COOK" channel is that the moving part of the screen is only about 1/3 of the total area. If I understand how MPEG works, that means that very little bandwidth (relatively speaking) is being used. So, RAGU is paying Dish to run this contest, and Dish isn't wasting much bandwidth.

So, it's extra revenue to Dish, which allows them to "invest in a better service for all" (or "increase executive bonuses", depending on what you believe.)

I'm not saying I like it, or it's good, just that the implementation is interesting. Maybe one of the folks who knows about data rates and the like can verify this (or tell me I'm wrong - always possible.)

One thing I note on the "COOK" channel is that the moving part of the screen is only about 1/3 of the total area. If I understand how MPEG works, that means that very little bandwidth (relatively speaking) is being used. So, RAGU is paying Dish to run this contest, and Dish isn't wasting much bandwidth.

So, it's extra revenue to Dish, which allows them to "invest in a better service for all" (or "increase executive bonuses", depending on what you believe.)

I'm not saying I like it, or it's good, just that the implementation is interesting. Maybe one of the folks who knows about data rates and the like can verify this (or tell me I'm wrong - always possible.)

OR...
Yawn...it's sponsored crap!

I love this forum and you're entitled don't get me wrong, reality is, enough people will watch and take part regardless!

OR...
Yawn...it's sponsored crap!

I love this forum and you're entitled don't get me wrong, reality is, enough people will watch and take part regardless!

It seems like you're concentrating on the content (I agree: Yawn!) where I think bradleys is making an interesting technical observation -- with so much of the screen fixed, and only a portion being updated with "live" action, what does that do to the data rate of the channel? Theoretically, it might only require a low bandwidth, so that the benefit (paid advertising income) compared to the cost (consumed bandwidth) might be particularly favorable for this channel compared to other paid advertising channels. I'm also curious whether this is true.

Even if the content of the channel is not interesting, the geek in some of us may find the technical details interesting (just as some accountants might find the benefit/cost analysis interesting.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)