5/12/9 AM standin - 6 moves

JohnH

Godfather of the Uplink Reports
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
UPLINK ACTIVITY: SAMPLE TAKEN 05-12-2009 03:02:00 TO 05-12-2009 03:03:06 ET

6 MOVE(S) (May include other changes as well.)

MOVE 374 FTV MPEG4 HD Tp 23 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL
TO 374 FTV MPEG4 HD Tp 30 EchoStar 3 61.5w AVAIL

MOVE 406 SETA MPEG2 SD 8PSK Tp 21 Rainbow 1 61.5w SPORT?
TO 406 SETA MPEG2 SD Tp 14 EchoStar 3 61.5w SPORT?

MOVE 5304 FTV MPEG4 HD Tp 23 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL HIDE
TO 5304 FTV MPEG4 HD Tp 30 EchoStar 3 61.5w AVAIL HIDE

MOVE 9480 SHOTO MPEG4 HD Tp 23 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL MAP-C 320
TO 9480 SHOTO MPEG4 HD Tp 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL MAP-C 320

MOVE 9481 TMC-E MPEG4 HD Tp 23 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL MAP-C 327
TO 9481 TMC-E MPEG4 HD Tp 21 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL MAP-C 327

MOVE 9589 LTD9 MPEG4 SD Tp 23 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE
TO 9589 LTD9 MPEG4 SD Tp 25 EchoStar 3 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE

6 CHANGE(S) 6561 CHANNELS IN THE SYSTEM

So who exactly qualifies for TMC-E HD? I currently get TMC-W (SD) and TMCX-W (SD) with Gold Classic, but no HD version of either channel, east or west.

Interesting. They cleared off R1 TP23 except for TMP30, 31, 32, 35, and 36, which are unavailable anyhow and may not be there at all. OK, P Smith, is there any power coming down from TP23?

Either the failure of another solar string necessitated this move, or else they're preparing to fire up the spots on R1 TP23, or both. (I thought spots in the aggregate took more power than CONUS, but that's just my wag.)

Interesting. They cleared off R1 TP23 except for TMP30, 31, 32, 35, and 36, which are unavailable anyhow and may not be there at all. OK, P Smith, is there any power coming down from TP23?

Either the failure of another solar string necessitated this move, or else they're preparing to fire up the spots on R1 TP23, or both. (I thought spots in the aggregate took more power than CONUS, but that's just my wag.)

I'll give you the real answer ;) In my area I get a higher strength on 23 than 30 and 22. So from my standpoint I don't see a signal strength issue with TP 23.

I'll give you the real answer ;) In my area I get a higher strength on 23 than 30 and 22. So from my standpoint I don't see a signal strength issue with TP 23.
Interesting. Using my 722, I see a ss of 50 on 22 and 30, but only 25 on 23. I'm in northern VA just southwest of Washington DC.

Actually you'd seen some numbers, perhaps a mix of SS and SQ/BER; and it could go down by many reasons. To discover them you should start from real SS, then measure BER, etc

Actually you'd seen some numbers, perhaps a mix of SS and SQ/BER; and it could go down by many reasons. To discover them you should start from real SS, then measure BER, etc
Well of course to be sure we would have to do that. But... Going out on a limb based on 2 data points, I claim R1 TP23 is now in spotbeam mode. That's because spotbeam 12 for NO has TP23, and digiblur gets a good signal. I'm under spotbeam 4, which does not include TP23, hence I get half what everything else (but other spots for other areas than mine) reads. Probably I'm reading bleed from spotbeam 3 for NY.

Just for grins, I ran through all the transponders showing up on my 722 for 61.5. Other than the 4 zeros, and the known spotbeams for other areas, I get close to 50 for everything but TP23. My own spotbeams read 75.

I would be interested to learn what the SS is for R1TP23 in other areas of the country.

Well of course to be sure we would have to do that. But... Going out on a limb based on 2 data points, I claim R1 TP23 is now in spotbeam mode. That's because spotbeam 12 for NO has TP23, and digiblur gets a good signal. I'm under spotbeam 4, which does not include TP23, hence I get half what everything else (but other spots for other areas than mine) reads. Probably I'm reading bleed from spotbeam 3 for NY.

Just for grins, I ran through all the transponders showing up on my 722 for 61.5. Other than the 4 zeros, and the known spotbeams for other areas, I get close to 50 for everything but TP23. My own spotbeams read 75.

I would be interested to learn what the SS is for R1TP23 in other areas of the country.

I doubt that TP 23 is running in spotbeam mode. The TID is still 123, which is a CONUS TID for 61.5. It also still has the video streams on it that were removed this morning. Which backs of the fact that it isn't in spotbeam mode. The beam in this area is fed from Jackson, MS and I know they wouldn't be feeding those video streams to Jackson. Comparing the signal from 22 and 23, 23 is a few points better.

One thing that is interesting, 17 used to be on in CONUS mode with no video streams. It will not lock now.

I suspect they eventually plan to turn 17,19,21,23 to spot beam. I wonder if they will be limited because of solar cell failures. When they get E6 over to 61.5 to cover the non transmitting TPs they should be good for those to turn to spot.

The BLSA currently shows no signal on Transponder 17. I'm getting a SNR of 9.0 dB on Transponder 23. Other Transponders vary from a low of 8.4 dB on Transponder 30 to a high of 13.4 dB on Transponder 12. I'm in California, so I'm pretty sure Transponder 23 is still conus. I don't think there are any spot beams from 61.5 pointed at California.

I doubt that TP 23 is running in spotbeam mode...One thing that is interesting, 17 used to be on in CONUS mode with no video streams. It will not lock now.
Well... (Yes I know, "deep subject.") Who knows what bizarre operating mode they are in while they transition? It's obvious that something is going on wrt 17, so why not 23 as well? And how else can you explain my anomalously low SS on 23, or why they bothered to move all available channels off 23?

I'm in California, so I'm pretty sure Transponder 23 is still conus. I don't think there are any spot beams from 61.5 pointed at California.
Where in CA? There are two spots in CA, E21 centered a bit W of San Francisco (P. Smith and you?) and including T23, and E22 centered a bit W of LA and lacking T23 as my spotbeam is. EKB: Spot Beam and Coverage Maps I hereby predict LA residents will see a much lower SS on T23 than you do, much like I do in northern VA.

Well, if it works in California, The south and I also see it here in PA with the same channels, that must be a ConUS beam or one humungous spot. :)

The BLSA currently shows no signal on Transponder 17.
Last night I saw zero on my 722, but this morning I'm seeing 34. Hmmm.
Dish have a convention to number SB transponders by four digits; so while TID is 2 or 3 digits value, then it definitly CONUS.
I claim we've seen all manner of disjoint operations out of R1 when they are converting to spotbeam, including the temporary diversion of a CONUS uplink to the actual RF spotbeams.
I can tell you I'm 99.9% sure it's not a regional spotbeam on 23 right now.
I think you're making the same assumption as P. Smith, namely that the same channels can't come out multiple spotbeams at once. I thought we had seen all this strangeness before. Conus spotbeam. ;) Very funny, but suppose the same signal were coming out all TP23 spotbeams. This would be very spotty indeed ;) considering TP23 isn't available for all R1 spotbeams.

Where in CA? There are two spots in CA, E21 centered a bit W of San Francisco (P. Smith and you?) and including T23, and E22 centered a bit W of LA and lacking T23 as my spotbeam is. EKB: Spot Beam and Coverage Maps I hereby predict LA residents will see a much lower SS on T23 than you do, much like I do in northern VA.

Thanks for the spotbeam map info. I'd be under the SF Spot if it was in use. I'm getting no signal on Transponders 1, 3, 7, 15, and 17.

That map isn't entirely accurate anymore. As the current use has less uplink facilities than needed to obtain the full use of the spotbeams. In some cases they used one uplink beam and split it across 2 downlink beams, basically rendering half of the 2 downlink beams useless and turned off. They are not running E12 anywhere near the capacity it was designed for. So a few power problems shouldn't affect it at all. I don't see them firing up the extra beams anytime soon anyway with the massive Ciel-2 capabilities they have now.

I'm getting no signal on Transponders 1, 3, 7, 15, and 17.
In case some folks aren't following the train of logic here... What photoman is saying is that none of the transponders in his spotbeam are on, unless 19 and 23 count. The logical conclusion is that 19 and 23 are still in conus mode. This (conus mode) is also what digiblur and P. Smith are saying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)