5/27/2010 9:19am - Uplink Activity Report - 446 changes

PBS by the end of 2011 (KVIE). It could be prior to that, it depends on Dish's schedule. KMAX (CW) by a date in 2013, if it is in HD.

No.

For example, the PBS section of the bill refers to:

BTW, I do not think that CW and MY are recognized by law. There is a requirement to carry all local HD channels in a market by a date in 2013, but that does not distinguish between CW, MY, UNI, TEL or unaffiliated.

Remember, all of the language in the legislation about providing stations not in the local market refers to "allowing", not "requiring".

The only "requiring" is all PBS HD by end of 2011, and all local HD by end of 2013 (both are only for markets where Dish provides something in that market - Dish is not required to provide any market).

All of the local stations in Sacramento broadcast in HD including PBS, CW and now ION. I guess it depends on when Dish and the stations come to an agreement. If Dish is carrying the spanish network feeds in HD why not carry the PBS network feed. Since they already carry the CW/MY stations, they might as well provide them in HD.

Those are all SD

This is true. But since these are new markets I would think it would make sense to put them on EA since that is what will happen in the end since we are talking about New York. Even all NYC SD channels are now also on EA. Isn't true arc set-ups a part of the long term plan? Why set up new subs with a dish 500 when they will need to be changed in just a couple of years? That just doesn't make sense.

All that would happen is a slow to moderate increase in subs as people learn Dish is now carrying their locals. Dish is not big in these areas due to Dish not having their locals before. Many people do care about that so they do not have Dish at this time.

I say just set them up now for the long run. HD is already mainstream even though these channels are not HD. They will be HD pretty soon though.

you'd be amazed at how many folks go to satellite because they can get the locals and are SD only

Who me Ice?

I am just saying that they should just be set up for the long run at the get go. Otherwise many people will be looking for upgrades later.

Besides, doesn't Dish give new subs ViP receivers regardless of HD or SD TV's to have them ready for the future?

Besides, doesn't Dish give new subs ViP receivers regardless of HD or SD TV's to have them ready for the future?

On Eastern Arc that is correct. You get either a 211 if you dont want HD or a 622/722/922 if you do. They default the 211 to work with a SD only screen
On Western Arc they probably still give out old equipment..it still shows on the Dish site a 311 and 322

On Eastern Arc that is correct. You get either a 211 if you dont want HD or a 622/722/922 if you do. They default the 211 to work with a SD only screen
On Western Arc they probably still give out old equipment..it still shows on the Dish site a 311 and 322

So for New York State people, wouldn't you say that in the end the plan is for them to be all on Eastern Arc? That's the part that makes sense to me. Put all of these channels on the 77° slot and be done with it.

This is true. But since these are new markets I would think it would make sense to put them on EA since that is what will happen in the end since we are talking about New York. Even all NYC SD channels are now also on EA. Isn't true arc set-ups a part of the long term plan? Why set up new subs with a dish 500 when they will need to be changed in just a couple of years? That just doesn't make sense.

All that would happen is a slow to moderate increase in subs as people learn Dish is now carrying their locals. Dish is not big in these areas due to Dish not having their locals before. Many people do care about that so they do not have Dish at this time.

I say just set them up now for the long run. HD is already mainstream even though these channels are not HD. They will be HD pretty soon though.

Because they had no other room on 61.5 spots. So to cover the ALL DMA rule they lit them up on the spots on E14.

I friend of mine setup a few months ago, ordered a 4 room SD install. We are WA here. He got a Dish 1000 with 2 222k's all hooked up to his 4 SDTV's. He's ready to rock and roll for the 8PSK and HD upgrade.

All of the local stations in Sacramento broadcast in HD including PBS, CW and now ION. I guess it depends on when Dish and the stations come to an agreement. If Dish is carrying the spanish network feeds in HD why not carry the PBS network feed. Since they already carry the CW/MY stations, they might as well provide them in HD.

Univision does not have pledge drives. It's possible that local Univision affiliates get a portion of the ad sales on the national Univision SD and HD feeds.

PBS affiliates are very dependent on pledge drives and so they refuse to allow a national PBS-HD in places where there is a local HD channel that is not uplinked, which is reasonable from their point of view.

Dish was not able to come to an agreement with PBS, so the STELA bill requires them to provide the local PBS-HD wherever they provide any local HD channel, by the end of 2011. It also allows them to come to a different agreement with PBS as long as the deal is signed by August 6th.

Your CW and ION local HD channels are required to be provided by a date in 2013 by an FCC order.

I doubt that an agreement is required. Satellite TV bills have provision for a compulsory license for must-carry stations. I doubt that CW or ION have opted for retransmission consent instead of must-carry. So, they will be added as per the FCC order.

Since a certain percentage of local HD must be added within a year, and 50% of the PBS must be added by Dec. 31st of 2010, then my hunch is that EchoStar 14 and Ciel 2 gives Dish more local HD capacity on Western Arc and so California is a likely place to see earlier additional local HD channels, and a smaller market like Sacramento is more likely because it is only 3 or 4 channels to add, unlike San Francisco which has 3 or 4 PBS alone plus tons of other local HD channels.

Sorry, if I'm being ignorant, but I see a lot of people being upset about PBS.

What exactly is on PBS for you guys to get so upset over? I'm not familiar with their programming other than Dragon Tails or something, so I could just be completely misinformed.

Hi Everyone

Hey Digi since you suggested that maybe Dish is moving everything around on HI/AK/PR assigned Spotbeams to maybe put some more HD channels for PR. And seeing the massive movement of many channels from spotbeams TP's on 110' to 119' for HI/AK. Is it technicaly possible for Dish to reassign spotbeams that were previously assing to HI/AK to PR on 110' for this purpose ?

Thanks

Sorry, if I'm being ignorant, but I see a lot of people being upset about PBS.

What exactly is on PBS for you guys to get so upset over? I'm not familiar with their programming other than Dragon Tails or something, so I could just be completely misinformed.

In HD, among others:

Rick Steves' Europe

Art Wolfe's Travels to the Edge

and a huge amount of live and recorded concerts of a variety of music performers.

Not to mention a vast amount of documentaries.

Basically, Discovery Channel minus the "reality show" aspect.

Here is a pretty good list:

Television

Hi Everyone

Hey Digi since you suggested that maybe Dish is moving everything around on HI/AK/PR assigned Spotbeams to maybe put some more HD channels for PR. And seeing the massive movement of many channels from spotbeams TP's on 110' to 119' for HI/AK. Is it technicaly possible for Dish to reassign spotbeams that were previously assing to HI/AK to PR on 110' for this purpose ?

Thanks

No.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts