5 Bird Phase III Dish Not Locking Signal VS Ultra

Status
Please reply by conversation.

big16point

Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
My setup consists of a Viewsat Ultra, phase 3 dish, and that is it for the time being. I am first trying to get 3 sats 91, 101, 110. I want 101 so that I can later add the sub to this dish.

Anyway, the problem I am having is that when I am in the Antenna setup menu, I choose bird 110. I get no lock, but when I change the bird to 121, I get a lock on 110. Change it back to 110, and loose the lock. Oh, when I say lock, I am referring to the top right hand corner of the screen (where it shows what bird you are pointing at). I have used the sat calculator located here:
http://satcalculator.freehostia.com/
which seems to be extremely accurate by using the google map to zoom in and point at my house. I have set the skew and the elevation on the dish and plumbed the mounting arm, so that the only thing I have to move is the azimuth. Of course, once I get a signal, I will tweak to get just right. I did try and setup on my sub receiver, and got a lock. I then changed receivers to the Viewsat, and got the problem I am having now. My settings that give me no lock are:
Satellite EchoStar 8,10 110.0W
LNB Power On
LNB Type Universal
LNB High 10600
LNB Low 9750
TP Freq. 12224
Diseq Off
Legacy SW None
My settings that give me a lock on 110 are:
Satellite EchoStar 9 121.0W
LNB Power On
LNB Type Universal
LNB High 10600
LNB Low 9750
TP Freq. 12224
Diseq Off
Legacy SW None

What should I change? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should change and stop trying to steal signal, that's what I think. :rolleyes:
What are you talking about? I don't know if you read the thread, but I have a sub that I am trying to point to 101. I was not aware that this satellite would work with FTA. Obviously you know more than I about stealing signal!

The Viewsat will not pickup any signals from the 101 Degree West DirecTV satellite since they are not DVB. If you use a linear LNB you can pick up some FTA on a satellite at that location.

What are you talking about? I don't know if you read the thread, but I have a sub that I am trying to point to 101. I was not aware that this satellite would work with FTA. Obviously you know more than I about stealing signal!

Sorry that we thought you were trying to do illegal things, we get so many new members that their first post's are illegal question and it becomes their last post here :).

Also Welcome to SatelliteGuys. :)

That is cool, it just sucks that some are so quick to jump to conclusion. I have just been reading a bunch on alot of websites, and it looked like the correct way to aim the dish was to point at those sats. I just got it in today. I have been using a single lnb sat, and this works, but it was my understanding that my sub would receive more channels with this HD dish.

Hey there's nothing on 91 to watch, no real reason to aim anything at it, unless you have a Bell subscription too!! ps, hint, how many people a week would you think come to this forum, join same day then ask how to set up fta receivers to PAY TV satellites?

Ok, then what sats do I need to point at to get the HD stuff? I only have the one sub, so I only need it to work with that one, but I want it to work as good as possible.

Hey there's nothing on 91 to watch, no real reason to aim anything at it, unless you have a Bell subscription too!! ps, hint, how many people a week would you think come to this forum, join same day then ask how to set up fta receivers to PAY TV satellites?

TOO MANY!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Big16point what subscription service do you have, Dish network or DirecTV?

directv, and if you are wondering why I am using the viewsat to point the dish, it is because that is the only way I have to determine which sat I am pointing at. It is either that, or spend $400 on a birdog.

We understand that, it is easier and cheaper to use a FTA receiver to point a dish especially if you already have the equipment.

I believe that DirecTV's normal programing is on 101/110/119.

I think that 99/103 are KA band and they are for HD.

We understand that, it is easier and cheaper to use a FTA receiver to point a dish especially if you already have the equipment.

I believe that DirecTV's normal programing is on 101/110/119.

I think that 99/103 are KA band and they are for HD.

So is there a way to determine with the Viewsat if I am on the correct sat, or am I just running in circles. By the way, thanks for the patience. I understand you get all types of people on here, and if I had not just joined, it may have been different. And I understand that.

With a circular LNB (DirecTV LNB) you can lock onto the 110 and 119, with a FTA receiver you will see some of Dish networks free preview channels (NASA, you are pointed at this satellite "", etc.).

There are other satellites at 99, 101, and 103 but they will require you to use a 31" dish or larger and a Linear LNB.

Also the DirecTV LNB you have, is is a single LNB or a block LNB (Triple LNB) (More than one LNB stuck together), you can only use certain ports if it is a block LNB?

My apologies. Usually when some asks a question such as yours they are interested in stealing signal. If you have a Directv receiver it will show you how to aim the dish. If you use the aiming info stored in the receiver, you'll be right on the D* satellites. The Phase 3 LNB has some TP's crippled on each LNB segment so you won't see all of them on each LNB in any case.
Now, what you're going to see when you hook the Viewsat to it, I have no idea. Once you use the D* receiver to aim the dish THEN you can hook up the FTA box and play with the settings.

Ok, I think the lnb I have is circular, but I am not really intersted in Dish. I am already used to the way DTV has their guide and channel lists setup. I have subbed with them for several years now. Anytime I go to someone's house with dish, I am lost.

No, what I meant is that with a FTA receiver that is pointed at 110 or 119 you will pick up Dish networks DVB FTA channels.

If you connect a DirecTV receiver it will pickup the DirecTV satellites which are parked in outer space very closely by.

My apologies. Usually when some asks a question such as yours they are interested in stealing signal. If you have a Directv receiver it will show you how to aim the dish. If you use the aiming info stored in the receiver, you'll be right on the D* satellites. The Phase 3 LNB has some TP's crippled on each LNB segment so you won't see all of them on each LNB in any case.
Now, what you're going to see when you hook the Viewsat to it, I have no idea. Once you use the D* receiver to aim the dish THEN you can hook up the FTA box and play with the settings.
I understand, and you have my apologies. I guess I haven't been quite clear enough.

No, what I meant is that with a FTA receiver that is pointed at 110 or 119 you will pick up Dish networks DVB FTA channels.

If you connect a DirecTV receiver it will pickup the DirecTV satellites which are parked in outer space very closely by.

Perfect, I will try it. Thanks!

I understand, and you have my apologies. I guess I haven't been quite clear enough.

Not a problem. Thanks for being cool about it.:) If you DON'T have a D* receiver, post your Zip Code and I'll plug it in my receiver and get you some aiming numbers.

Also one question before you go out and play with the Dish, Describe your LNB, is it one unit with one port, two ports, or Three LNBs with four ports, something like that.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts