5 Channels at once with VIP722 & 2 TVs

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
Is it possible to be recording 3 shows at the same time (2 Sat & 1 OTA) on the ViP722 and also be watching one other show on each of the 2 TVs I have connected to the receiver? That would be 5 channels at once between 2TV's and one receiver.

I have an OTA antenna that feeds the signal to the receiver and splits it also to each of the TVs in the house. TV2 gets the OTA signal on the same coax cable as the satellite feed.

There are only 3 tuners so you can only record 3 channels at once. You can not watch something else live at the same time because the tuners are already tied up. What you can do while the 3 tuners are recording is watch 2 different already recorded shows on TV1 and TV2. That's 5 HD streams going at once (with TV2 being down-converted). If you have an external HDD, you can also be transferring to or from it for a possible total of 6 HD streams being read/written at once on the internal drive.

There are only 3 tuners so you can only record 3 channels at once. You can not watch something else live at the same time because the tuners are already tied up. What you can do while the 3 tuners are recording is watch 2 different already recorded shows on TV1 and TV2. That's 5 HD streams going at once (with TV2 being down-converted). If you have an external HDD, you can also be transferring to or from it for a possible total of 6 HD streams being read/written at once on the internal drive.
Of course - and that's what I said - record 3 at once while watching 2 other shows. But to do this on TV2 I was thinking about just changing the channel to the OTA locals (and same thing on TV1).

I think I just need to get a DTV converter for TV2 to be able to do this in the long run.

Have you ever tried recording an OTA local while watching another OTA local via the TV antenna input?

Either you or we are missing the point, like the previous post said you can be recording 3 things at once and watch 2 other previously recorded programs. If you want to be recording 3 things and watch 2 things using the tuner built into your TVs that doesn't involve the 722.

For your TV2 DTV converter make sure you get one with analog pass through so you can easily switch between your 722s analog output and locals.

Have you ever tried recording an OTA local while watching another OTA local via the TV antenna input?

You just need a splitter to split the antenna line to the 722 and the tv antenna input.

Either you or we are missing the point, like the previous post said you can be recording 3 things at once and watch 2 other previously recorded programs. If you want to be recording 3 things and watch 2 things using the tuner built into your TVs that doesn't involve the 722.

For your TV2 DTV converter make sure you get one with analog pass through so you can easily switch between your 722s analog output and locals.

You just need a splitter to split the antenna line to the 722 and the tv antenna input.
Great idea about the pass through filter - I was wondering if I'd need it - but now I see that I do. I'm just waiting for my coupons and was thinking about getting the DTVPal.

I already have the splitter setup.

I think we're on the same page. Thanks.

One of the main reasons I posted this in the first place is to see/remind others that you CAN be recording the max on the DVR and still watch something else if you change the TV to pull the OTA locals. Essentially have 3 channels working on the DVR and 2 other channels with your TV's.

I think I just need to get a DTV converter for TV2 to be able to do this in the long run.

Did this just last night. Was recording 2 Sat & 1 OTA on 622. Switched to the TV itself to watch NFL on NBC using the HDTV's built in OTA tuner. Note that I have my antenna cable SPLIT so it feeds the 622 and the built-in HDTV tuner at the same time!

Did this just last night. Was recording 2 Sat & 1 OTA on 622. Switched to the TV itself to watch NFL on NBC using the HDTV's built in OTA tuner. Note that I have my antenna cable SPLIT so it feeds the 622 and the built-in HDTV tuner at the same time!
Good deal. Many folks don't realize they can do this. Now you've got 3 shows to watch...get watching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)