5 foot c-band dish Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gary Z

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Seguin, Texas
I have a 5 footer I want to setup for AMC1 c-band channels.

I want to get RFD TV, the ION Channels, KTLN-TV, KEEN-LP, DW-TV and CTN.
Do you think it is possible with my dish or is it to small?

a 5 footer you will probably have some issues. Ever since they put up AMC18 (105W C-Band) my reception on AMC1 has been questionable at best with the 6 footer

Ion & TLN (KTLN & KEEN) I can get with a 45 quality on the Pansat which is good (30 is threshold)
DW-TV is a 7/8 FEC so I can't keep that signal stable. You need at least a 70 quality to keep that stable
RFDTV I get barely a signal. The HD feed on G23 (121W) I get at a 60 quality

Well I guess I should use my 5 footer as a KU-band dish then. A 10 foot dish was given to me but I have to wait until the fall to get it. That dish has a Houston tracker dish mover with it.

i'm going to try getting rfd-tv on amc1
i have a fortec liftime ultra a 5 ft offset dish with a c band lnb with a scalar ring...
i'm in toronto canada...can i do it?

see post 2 ;)

a 5 footer you will probably have some issues. Ever since they put up AMC18 (105W C-Band) my reception on AMC1 has been questionable at best with the 6 footer

Ion & TLN (KTLN & KEEN) I can get with a 45 quality on the Pansat which is good (30 is threshold)
DW-TV is a 7/8 FEC so I can't keep that signal stable. You need at least a 70 quality to keep that stable
RFDTV I get barely a signal. The HD feed on G23 (121W) I get at a 60 quality

I'm in Minneapolis

it's funny i ran across some info on the 5 foot mesh c band dishes. back in the analog days most satellites were 4 degrees apart (way back). so since analog is easier to receive than digital a 5 foot worked in the central USA where satellite footprints were strong.

now with sats being two degrees apart and even 1.8 degrees or so for the mexican sats, your small dish sees too much sky. the beamwidth or the "wide angle of view" is seeing some signals from the neighboring satellites raising the noise floor causing your digital to be unstable.

a 5 foot dish is probably seeing a little over 3 degrees of sky. Where as my 10' dish sees 1.7 degrees on c band and 0.5 degrees on KU.

there may be some sats you can get some c band signals but it will depend on if the neighboring satellite has a transponder on or near the same frequency and polarization.

I dont get RFD on my 8 foot dish. :(

In my preliminary setup of my 7.5' mesh dish these last 2 weeks, I couldn't get RFD. Just now after reading this thread I went down and did a rescan and it is coming in. Imagine that!
ION is booming in at 82% Strength and 87% Quality.
RFD is at 79% and 30%.
This is on a Neosat iPro 2000 and a DMX741. And a branch covering the top half of the dish, I wish I could get a good clear picture of the tree problem to show you.

Broncing bull auction right now and tractor pulls are next :)
And I have to update my profile now, I see.

5 foot mesh have one

it's funny i ran across some info on the 5 foot mesh c band dishes. back in the analog days most satellites were 4 degrees apart (way back). so since analog is easier to receive than digital a 5 foot worked in the central USA where satellite footprints were strong.

i still have one it's my avatar. back in the 90s it got every pay channel and all the free channels. it got a bit snowy on C-1 @137 tp/channel 11. some of the live feeds were snowy also. but it did 2deg sats ok. took twice as long to tweak as the 8.5' footer i had then.
it will only get the ion mux now,but i have not spent time tweaking it. as i need to move it. been on 2x4 and plywood on the ground for 5 years now. lol
the way it is think i could get over 100 stations. it got the monday night football game feed last night.
got it for the wife.

Those 5 foot dishes were great. I use to sell them for Radio Shack

If I could get my hands on one that would go to a nice fixed system like 105 or 121

I have 2 KTI mash dishes they are 5.9' ft with polar mount store in the shad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)