5 lnb and number of coax coming from dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tivo4ever

Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
I've read thru a number of posts and I need some guidance. I currently have a 2 LNB dish on a treated 4x4 post in cement (two cables run underground 50 feet away in conduit)that goes to a 3x8 switch in the crawl space so that all 3 HDVR2 (SD) tivos have 2 connections. I'm scheduled to get an HD upgrade with a free HR10-250 and I have a few questions.

1. The CSR indicated a 3 LNB dish would be provided. I kinda felt it would be a better idea to get the 5 LNB dish installed if I had a choice. I was thinking of calling them back up and insisting on the 5 LNB dish. Should I push this issue? I know the 3 LNB will work, but is it better to push this issue now?

2. If they will bite on the 5 LNB dish, can it be installed on the 4x4 treaded post?
I've have the 2 LNB on this post (about 30 inches in the ground for past 10 yrs
with no problems). I read some forum appends that wanted/requred metal poles?

3. From what I read the 3 LNB dish has 4 coax cables that should go to a switch.
Does the 5 LNB have more than 4 coax cables? What sort of multiswitch should I insist on getting? I guees it would be a minimum of a 4x8, but what would be best?(if I have a choice)

Unfortunately the conduit I ran 10 yrs ago is only 1/2 inch with just enough room
for 2 coax cables, so I would have to run a new conduit for this HD setup.
I would probably just did up the old line and just put a 1 inch or larger in its place.

Installing the new dish on the side of the house is not really an option as I
have vinyl siding and trees in the way, hence the 50 ft run out to the treated post
was the only palatable option I can see...

I am planning on calling D* back and I 'd like to make sure what I getting
versus some of the horror stories I've read on this forum. Thanks in advance for any insight...

It doesn't matter that much, in either case you'll need 4 lines run from the dish to your multiswitch so the same number of lines will be run through your conduit.

Both the phase 3 and kaku dish use 4 lines to the switch. Different switches are used however for the phase 3 and kaku. The only approved switch for use with the 5lnb is the zinwell wb68 6x8 multiswitch, but if you get a phase 3 installed they'll be using a 4x8 powered.

The 5lnb dish should be mountable on a treated 4x4. I've done so before with success although I made the customer reinforce it prior to the installation.

If you want fewer headaches in the long run, make them put the kaku dish in now. Just get it out of the way.

I would just have the 3LNB installed until you get an Mpeg4 receiver. No need for it until then. The 3LNB will have 4 coax outputs that can go to a switch. The AT9(5LNB) also has 4. The 3LNB can definitely be mounted on your current pole. Shouldn't be an issue there. You will get a 4x8 powered multi switch with that set up anything above that will be extra expense to you. Be sure it is on your work order however.

The AT9 dish is what should be installed with a WB68 switch. I am leary of using the wood post both because of the size of the dish and the acucracy needed for the Ka signals. Reading your post all the way thru I believe you have an 18" dish with a DUAL LNB with 2 coaxs run in conduit to a multiswitch, not a 2 LNB dish as posted. You would need 4 coaxs run to a 4X8 multiswitch if you had what you posted. Any way back to the AT9 dish, wood posts swell and warp with dry or wet conditions, this probably wouldn't show up with an 18" dish. If the AT9 dish were to move slightly due to the wood post moving you could easily lose the 99 or 103 satellite. That is why a steel pipe is usually recommended for AT9 installation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)